Advanced

Black Beauty Build Log

Posted by gtj 
gtj
Re: I can "Air Print" smiling smiley
June 16, 2018 11:05AM
o_lampe

I guess the glass IS a little wavey

If you want to find out if it's wavey or binding mechanics, you could rotate the bed. ( Maybe not, because you glued the bedholder to the glass )

Yeah I thought of that then thought "Duh". Anyway I've got the MIC-6 coming in next week.

dc42
It looks like you have a slight twist in your gantry too, unless it's the glass again.

Quite probably. I do need to disassemble the gantry and replace the bearings with the correct ones and it does look like the motor in the "high" corner might be lifting the belt slightly as the carriage gets closer to it.
gtj
Re: Black Beauty Build Log
June 20, 2018 08:56AM
Yay on two counts...

My MIC-6 plate should be ready tomorrow.
I heard from Mutly3D and he's assembling my Flex3Drive order now.

I've also decided to switch from 6mm wide belts to 9mm wide belts. I just have to re-print the carbon fiber XY rail sliders.
I'm also re-arranging the Y leadscrews and verttical rails slightly to align them better.
More pics in the next few days.
gtj
July 02, 2018 08:29PM
Well, I haven't posted in a bit but that doesn't mean I haven't been busy...

Finalized the Z axis lower ends. This arrangement is much easier to adjust the alignment and mount the Z-high endstops.

And doesn't this look nice? 6mm MIC-6 build plate.

I moved to the Delrin Z nuts and they are super smooth and I mounted the plate the same way I did the glass, with Nylon bearing races. The one at the back center is fixed and the two front ones are sliding.

Got a little wiring done. Under the sleeving, the bed cables are 12ga silicone for the 120V heater and 16ga silicone for the thermistors and some lighting.

I lied. I got a TON of wiring done.

I'm a big fan of keeping the hot side hot and the cool side cool. To that end, all mains wiring is on the right side.

Top unit is a 14.5A 24v power supply.
Below and left are 2 SSRs. One for bed heat and one that turns on and off the 24v PS.
The small power supply is a 12v 5A always-on PS that ultimately delivers 5V to the Duet.
Far right are the bus bars for ground and neutral.
Both power supplies tie their V- to ground.

On the far left are the Duet2 and Duex5.
Just to the right of the Duet2 is a 12v-5v DC-DC converter. It supplies always-on 5v to the boards.
The Duet2 switches the 24v PS via the Aux PS pin on the external 5v connector.
I got a really good deal on a ton of 16ga CCA stranded wire. It's a little overkill but so what.

Oh yeah, the undercarriage LEDs are working.

I forgot to take pics of the bed heater but I will shortly. It's a single 1600w 500x500mm pad. It's about 30 seconds from cold and dark to a 60C surface temp. The mass of the plate makes a beautifully even IR image, which I forgot to save. I'll get that shortly as well.

The only thing I'm missing now is THE FLEX3DRIVE!!!

Did I emphasize that enough Mutly3D? smiling smiley
July 03, 2018 10:14AM
Your Duex5 cabling is wrong, you must use a short cable on directly going from the Duet V- to the Duex5 V-.

as stated in the documentation :

Important! You must have a reliable low-resistance connection between the negative (ground) terminals of the two VIN terminal blocks. Failure to do so may result in high currents flowing in the ground connectors of the ribbon cable and may cause damage to the Duet WiFi or Duex5. Preferably, make this connection using either solid core wire, or stranded core wire with ferrules of the correct size crimped on securely. Re-tighten the terminal block screws regularly for the first few days of use, to make sure there is no creep in the wires causing the screws to become loose.
July 03, 2018 10:16AM
Sorry, above comment may seem rude! Forgot to say, awesome cabling job!

/Kris
gtj
July 03, 2018 11:35AM
whosrdaddy
Sorry, above comment may seem rude! Forgot to say, awesome cabling job!

/Kris

Heh, no worries!

For flexibility I ran the power cabling for both boards back to the power supply but it is 16ga wire and I did check the resistance between the negative terminals on the 2 boards with the ribbon cable disconnected. It was below the measurement threshold of my meter. I also have taken IR images of the whole back panel with all 7 motors and the bed in full operation. I'll post those tonight.
July 03, 2018 03:31PM
It's not just the resistance, it's the inductance too.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
gtj
July 03, 2018 08:30PM
dc42
It's not just the resistance, it's the inductance too.

Well, it's easy enough to change.
BTW, 2.0 isn't stable for me at all. I get random restarts even with everything at idle. No errors, nothing.
Back at 1.21 everything's stable.
July 03, 2018 08:40PM
gtj
BTW, 2.0 isn't stable for me at all. I get random restarts even with everything at idle. No errors, nothing.

Can you try 2 01beta? It fixes a possible contention between two tasks. If it doesn't help, please run M122 after one of those restarts and post the software reset data and the stack trace.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

gtj
July 03, 2018 08:56PM
dc42
gtj

Can you try 2 01beta? It fixes a possible contention between two tasks. If it doesn't help, please run M122 after one of those restarts and post the software reset data and the stack trace.

Yeah, that's what I was running, sorry. I'll try again and do the M122.
gtj
July 03, 2018 09:23PM
OK, I'm back at 2.01b1 and I direct cabled the power between the 2 boards. We'll see how it goes.

I'm also getting closer on the gantry twist...

gtj
July 03, 2018 10:57PM
gtj
dc42
gtj

Yeah, that's what I was running, sorry. I'll try again and do the M122.

Just had a reset. When it came back, the Duex5 wasn't recognized.

M122
=== Diagnostics ===
RepRapFirmware for Duet 2 WiFi/Ethernet version 2.01beta2(RTOS) running on Duet Ethernet 1.02 or later
Board ID: 08DGM-95BNL-MGPSJ-6JTD8-3SS6K-11XHZ
Used output buffers: 2 of 20 (2 max)
=== RTOS ===
Static ram: 28476
Dynamic ram: 95892 of which 0 recycled
Exception stack ram used: 176
Never used ram: 6528
Tasks: NETWORK(ready,1612) HEAT(blocked,1336) MAIN(running,3656)
Mutexes: FilamentSensors(null) DHT(null) W5500(null) TelnetGCodeReply(null) HttpGCodeReply(null) Telnet(null) HTTP(null) SD1(null) SD0(null) DirSearch(null) FileSystem(null) Aux(null) USB(null) MessageBox(null) ToolList(null) SPI(null) Malloc(null) NetworkGCodeInput(null) NetworkGCodeInput(null) FileInfoParser(null)
=== Platform ===
Last reset 00:00:40 ago, cause: software
Last software reset time unknown, reason: User, spinning module GCodes, available RAM 6420 bytes (slot 3)
Software reset code 0x0003 HFSR 0x00000000, CFSR 0x00000000, ICSR 0x00400000, BFAR 0xe000ed38, SP 0xffffffff
Error status: 0
Free file entries: 10
SD card 0 detected, interface speed: 20.0MBytes/sec
SD card longest block write time: 0.0ms
MCU temperature: min 33.5, current 34.4, max 34.8
Supply voltage: min 1.9, current 2.0, max 2.2, under voltage events: 0, over voltage events: 0
Driver 0: ok, SG min/max not available
Driver 1: ok, SG min/max not available
Driver 2: ok, SG min/max not available
Driver 3: ok, SG min/max not available
Driver 4: ok, SG min/max not available
Date/time: 1970-01-01 00:00:00
Slowest loop: 0.23ms; fastest: 0.06ms
=== Move ===
Hiccups: 0, StepErrors: 0, LaErrors: 0, FreeDm: 240, MinFreeDm 240, MaxWait: 0ms, Underruns: 0, 0
Scheduled moves: 0, completed moves: 0
Bed compensation in use: none
Bed probe heights: 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000
=== Heat ===
Bed heaters = 0 -1 -1 -1, chamberHeaters = -1 -1
=== GCodes ===
Segments left: 0
Stack records: 2 allocated, 0 in use
Movement lock held by null
http is idle in state(s) 0
telnet is idle in state(s) 0
file is idle in state(s) 0
serial is idle in state(s) 0
aux is idle in state(s) 0
daemon is idle in state(s) 0
queue is idle in state(s) 0
autopause is idle in state(s) 0
Code queue is empty.
=== Network ===
Slowest loop: 0.45ms; fastest: 0.02ms
Responder states: HTTP(0) HTTP(0) HTTP(0) HTTP(0) FTP(0) Telnet(1) Telnet(0)
HTTP sessions: 0 of 8
Interface state: 5
=== Expansion ===

After power cycle

M122
=== Diagnostics ===
RepRapFirmware for Duet 2 WiFi/Ethernet version 2.01beta2(RTOS) running on Duet Ethernet 1.02 or later + DueX5
Board ID: 08DGM-95BNL-MGPSJ-6JTD8-3SS6K-11XHZ
Used output buffers: 2 of 20 (2 max)
=== RTOS ===
Static ram: 28476
Dynamic ram: 95892 of which 0 recycled
Exception stack ram used: 176
Never used ram: 6528
Tasks: NETWORK(ready,1612) HEAT(blocked,1336) MAIN(running,3664)
Mutexes: FilamentSensors(null) DHT(null) W5500(null) TelnetGCodeReply(null) HttpGCodeReply(null) Telnet(null) HTTP(null) SD1(null) SD0(null) DirSearch(null) FileSystem(null) Aux(null) USB(null) MessageBox(null) ToolList(null) SPI(null) Malloc(null) NetworkGCodeInput(null) NetworkGCodeInput(null) FileInfoParser(null)
=== Platform ===
Last reset 00:00:31 ago, cause: power up
Last software reset time unknown, reason: User, spinning module GCodes, available RAM 6420 bytes (slot 3)
Software reset code 0x0003 HFSR 0x00000000, CFSR 0x00000000, ICSR 0x00400000, BFAR 0xe000ed38, SP 0xffffffff
Error status: 0
Free file entries: 10
SD card 0 detected, interface speed: 20.0MBytes/sec
SD card longest block write time: 0.0ms
MCU temperature: min 30.3, current 33.7, max 33.9
Supply voltage: min 1.5, current 1.7, max 1.7, under voltage events: 0, over voltage events: 0
Driver 0: ok, SG min/max not available
Driver 1: ok, SG min/max not available
Driver 2: ok, SG min/max not available
Driver 3: ok, SG min/max not available
Driver 4: ok, SG min/max not available
Driver 5: ok, SG min/max not available
Driver 6: ok, SG min/max not available
Driver 7: ok, SG min/max not available
Driver 8: ok, SG min/max not available
Driver 9: ok, SG min/max not available
Expansion motor(s) stall indication: no
Date/time: 1970-01-01 00:00:00
Slowest loop: 0.36ms; fastest: 0.06ms
=== Move ===
Hiccups: 0, StepErrors: 0, LaErrors: 0, FreeDm: 240, MinFreeDm 240, MaxWait: 0ms, Underruns: 0, 0
Scheduled moves: 0, completed moves: 0
Bed compensation in use: none
Bed probe heights: 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000
=== Heat ===
Bed heaters = 0 -1 -1 -1, chamberHeaters = -1 -1
=== GCodes ===
Segments left: 0
Stack records: 2 allocated, 0 in use
Movement lock held by null
http is idle in state(s) 0
telnet is idle in state(s) 0
file is idle in state(s) 0
serial is idle in state(s) 0
aux is idle in state(s) 0
daemon is idle in state(s) 0
queue is idle in state(s) 0
autopause is idle in state(s) 0
Code queue is empty.
=== Network ===
Slowest loop: 0.53ms; fastest: 0.02ms
Responder states: HTTP(0) HTTP(0) HTTP(0) HTTP(0) FTP(0) Telnet(2) Telnet(0)
HTTP sessions: 0 of 8
Interface state: 5
=== Expansion ===
DueX I2C errors 0

July 04, 2018 02:27AM
Odd, the first one says the last reset was a software one commanded by the user. This could mean that M999 was sent, or the Emergency Stop button in DWC was pressed, or it restarted at the end of doing a firmware upgrade.

The second reset shows power up as expected.

gtj
July 04, 2018 08:57AM
dc42
Odd, the first one says the last reset was a software one commanded by the user. This could mean that M999 was sent, or the Emergency Stop button in DWC was pressed, or it restarted at the end of doing a firmware upgrade.

The first one was with everything idle for at least 30 minutes. I was watching Netflix at the time and saw the LEDs go off. Maybe the reason isn't being written in this case so it's left over from a previous reset?
gtj
July 04, 2018 07:00PM
dc42

The comment about M999 got me thinking... I think this is an endstop issue on the Duex5 and not limited to 2.0x.
I have 7 powered mechanical endstops. All purchased at the same time.
They are assigned to X Y U V W A B.
X and Y are just configured as real endstops for homing.
U and V are connected to E0:1 and W A B are connected to E2:3:4 on the Duex5.

E0:1:2:3:4 are all configured as trigger T2 to execute M999.

The 4 connected to the Duet2 perform perfectly at 3.3v with both 1.21 and 2.01b1.
The 3 connected to the Duex5, when it's configured for 3.3v, will cause almost immediate trigger when the Z axis (3 motors on the Duex5) is moved with both 1.21 and 2.0x.
When configured for 5v, it's stable on 1.21 but Z movement will eventually cause the triggers on 2.0x.

This caused me to start investigating more and I found this...

With the XY motors ON but the Z motors off, this is what one of the Z endstop 3.3v supply (chan 1) and signal pin (chan 2) look like...

With the Z motors power on, this is what they look like...

You can say it.... EEWWWWWWWWW!

The endstops for the XY motors look clean EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE LONGER RUNS OF CABLE!

Now, the XY and Z motors ARE different. The XY are 0.9 deg and the Z 1.8deg and although I don't have the spec charts handy, I'm sure the inductance and coil resistance are different. So, I'm going to replace the Z motors, however, placing a filter cap between signal and ground right at the Duex5 connectors does clean things up nicely. I'm going to try that and see if stops the false triggers before I get the new motors in.
July 05, 2018 01:57AM
I wonder, if that's related to the ribbon cable connector between Duet and DueX? Where did you probe the endstop signal?
gtj
July 05, 2018 07:36AM
o_lampe
I wonder, if that's related to the ribbon cable connector between Duet and DueX? Where did you probe the endstop signal?

Right at the Duex5 endstop connector. I also examined the signal pin on the end of the cable with it disconnected. In this case, the board was supplying only 3.3v and ground. Without anything to terminate the signal, the noise was horrific.

Adding the filter caps helped a great deal but didn't eliminate the issue altogether. I left the motors on before I went to bed last night but found them off this morning. Looks like it went about 2 hours before it tripped. This was at 3.3v however. I'm going to try at 5v today. New motors should be here tomorrow.
gtj
July 06, 2018 06:05PM
Well, I'm so disappointed in the Flex3Drive folks. It's been 2 months since I placed my order and it's still "processing". I did get an email from Jason 2 weeks ago saying he was working the order and was trying to ship by the end of that week. Haven't heard anything since. I sent an email last night asking to cancel the order if they couldn't ship today or Monday but who know if that will ever get read. Most of my earlier emails have gone unanswered. I guess I'll have to file a dispute with Paypal to get my money back.

Anyone got any other suggestions for an extruder setup for this size of a machine?
gtj
July 14, 2018 12:03PM
YAY! I got the Flex3Drive and Printbite yesterday as well as dc42's IR sensor to replace the finicky BLTouch.
I also think I got my EMI issues sorted. I'm replacing the 18ga wires with 22ga shielded twisted pair.
Dare I be optimistic and say "I should be printing before the end of this weekend." ?
gtj
Black Beauty Has Foaled!!!
July 19, 2018 07:21PM
I can't believe it's been a year and I'm not claiming complete victory yet but IT'S WORKING!

The Flex3Drive in my mount...

The back panel...

Extruder motor mounted horizontally. Still have to neaten up the umbilical.

The part cooling fan should be to the left of the heat sink but I busted the mount when I was playing with XY homing and limits. smiling smiley

I still have to do some tweaking on the gantry but it's OK for now.

I still have to do a lot of firmware and slicer settings work as well as some hardware cleanup but I'm pretty happy.
As it is now though, if it weren't for the fans you wouldn't hear this thing printing at 70mm/sec from more than a few feet away. I could hear the old MPIII from the other room at 40mm/s.

Bill of Materials and CAD files for the printed parts coming soon.

THANKS TO ALL WHO GAVE ME IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login