Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Linear Rail Cantilever printer build

Posted by awratten 
Linear Rail Cantilever printer build
December 23, 2018 07:27AM
I have a cheap Chinese printer and I am looking to upgrade. I decided to design & build a new one instead of trying to find on with everything I wanted.

I've seen Cantilever designs like the Cetus3D and wanted to give it a shot. I know they have some downsides but the simplicity is very appealing.

I've been working on this printer for a couple of weeks and wanted to document my progress as well as get some feedback on my design.

I'm lucky enough to have access to a CO2 laser so I have been prototyping with laser cut acrylic parts. Ideally all acrylic parts will be aluminium in the final printer but at the moment the design is still very fluid.

I'm still waiting on some parts to arrive so will be adding updates as they happen.

I'd love to hear your ideas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2018 07:50AM by awratten.
Re: Linear Rail Cantilever printer build
December 23, 2018 07:31AM

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2018 07:43AM by awratten.
December 23, 2018 07:41AM
Looks nice.
December 23, 2018 11:32AM
Seems, like you are in trouble with routing the X-belt. The brass nut of the leadscrew is soo huge.
December 23, 2018 11:47AM
Number_5
Looks nice.

Look is one thing.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
December 23, 2018 01:40PM
o_lampe
Seems, like you are in trouble with routing the X-belt. The brass nut of the leadscrew is soo huge.

The X axis belt will be routed through the centre hole of the 2040 extrusion and back through the bottom t slit.

Yeah the brass nut is a bit overboard. But it was what was available in 10mm trapezoidal lead screws.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2018 01:42PM by awratten.
December 24, 2018 02:51AM

The X axis belt will be routed through the centre hole of the 2040 extrusion and back through the bottom t slit.

I only found Bosch extrusions with 6mm slot had enough room to guide a 6mm belt through the slot and clamp it.

You might have to twist the belt, so the teeth are on the solid side of the clamp.
December 24, 2018 08:35AM
MKSA
Number_5
Looks nice.

Look is one thing.

There was only one picture and a rendering when I wrote that post. Happy holidays.
December 30, 2018 07:58PM
Progress, I've wired up the z axis and had my first movement test. All working well.

Video
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login