Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cross bracing 2020?

Posted by aamcle 
Cross bracing 2020?
October 10, 2019 03:44PM
The usual way to make a 2020 box/cube printer frame more rigid is to add panel sides often by bolting on Acrylic sheet but it should be possible to use some sort of diagonal bracing possibly with more 2020 or flat strip/plate.

If you have tried to use braces now did you get on?

Any links and pictures or even builds?

Thanks All.

Aamcle
Re: Cross bracing 2020?
October 10, 2019 10:05PM
Have you checked the price difference between 2020 square and 4040 square extrusions?

I see a lot of printer designs that use 2020 t-slot and a ton of expensive (or crappy printed plastic) corner bracing hardware in an effort to make the frame more rigid. I've never priced it out (I buy used 4040 and 4545 t-slot at a scrap yard for the scrap aluminum price), but I suspect that a 4040 frame without corner braces would be easier to assemble, more rigid, and a probably cheaper.

Acrylic is a lousy material to use for side panels. It tends to fracture wherever you put a screw through it, which is probably why you don't see a lot of acrylic frame printers any more. Polycarbonate is a much better, but a little more expensive, material to use. It won't crack when you put screws through it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2019 10:08PM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Re: Cross bracing 2020?
October 11, 2019 04:08AM
yea its hopefully not Acrylic, RailCore for eg uses HDPE plastic
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login