Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 finally completed - upgrade suggestions.

Posted by wamaker 
Prusa i3 finally completed - upgrade suggestions.
April 18, 2020 02:22AM
I have finally completed the build of a 80/20 framed Prusa i3 with an upgraded build platform 300 x 300 x 300. I used a Megatronics v2.0 board, 12v and 24v power supplies.

I would like to point out this has been my first sojourn into 3d printing with very little background electronics knowledge.

Looking for suggestions for improving the original design specs. at this stage I plan to keep the Megatronics v2.0, but all else if open for suggestions.

1. What firmware, latest Marlin version has been uploaded?
2. Control software, I have been using Fusion 360 CAD, would Meshmixer be suitable??
3. Do I need additional slicing software?
4. Open to all suggestions.

Thank you all for your input in advance.
Re: Prusa i3 finally completed - upgrade suggestions.
April 18, 2020 06:25AM
How would we know what needs improving?
April 18, 2020 07:41AM
"4. Open to all suggestions."

Post in the correct section. (hint: there is Prusa in the title)
Read the various topics related to it.
There are also Marlin and slicers dedicated section.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
April 18, 2020 09:27PM
Whoops I was a bit vague, must be due to my birth date... Yes it is based on a Prusa i3 but I used 80/20 aluminium extrusions for all the framework so I thought this was an appropriate site to ask questions.

All parts for this project was purchased 6 years ago, so hardware, software and firmware would all be candidates for up grade.

My first priority would be just to get it going, but I am sure firmware and software has come a long way in 6 years.
April 20, 2020 09:22AM
and still no pic so how would we know?
April 20, 2020 09:50AM
Suggestion? Look into Klipper firmware. Marlin is just clunky to work with and requires a reflash every time you need to modify a configuration and based on what you've said so far sounds like you'll probably be tinkering with configurations a good bit to get your custom Prusa style printer dialed in.

[www.klipper3d.org]

'Most' people who try it out notice an immediate improvement in their print quality. This is anecdotal, but I also noticed an improvement when I switched to it over a year ago. It does require a SBC like a Raspberry Pi though so not an entirely free upgrade unless you already have one sitting around.

Fusion360 is good. I use OnShape it is also good.

Slicer is usually a personal choice. I'm a big fan of Cura although there are several quality slicers to choose from. Slic3r, Kisslicer, S3D etc.

What stepper drivers do you have installed in your megatronics?
Which stepper motors are you using? 1.8deg or 0.9deg?
April 21, 2020 02:36AM

Photo of completed printer attached....

All parts were purchased 6 years ago, steppers are Nema17, 1.8deg.
Marlin is uploaded on Megatronics v2.0.

With a lack of electronics background I am find it hard to find any information at my level, how to configure, connect etc... I don't expect anyone to go into too much detail as I am happy to learn but can't seem to find a starting point.

Thanks for putting up with a newbie.... look forward to getting it al going...
April 21, 2020 03:16AM
Just try & Tidy it up...and maybe see if you can switch Z to one motor(maybe it already is I see an extra piece of ali on top in middle?).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2020 03:18AM by MechaBits.
April 23, 2020 06:19AM
an enclosure might be the most useful addition
May 19, 2020 03:15PM
What pattern did you use for the MDF print deck? I am building the Wilson Ii which is an i3 mk3 clone but I cant find the drawing for the print deck
Could you link me to the drawing you used?
May 21, 2020 07:44AM
carriage seems a bit wide, does it have enough travel? you could get more mounting Z on the front.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login