Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pro's and Con's of Delta printers?

Posted by Phizinza 
Pro's and Con's of Delta printers?
November 13, 2013 07:10PM
I love the look of these printers.. And I want to build one. But I'd like to know of the pro's and con's they have over the usual printers such as my Prusa with sliding bed, sliding X carriage and print head lifting Z axis?

Thanks,
Phiz
Re: Pro's and Con's of Delta printers?
November 14, 2013 02:35AM
Delta printers as a class only have one advantage: symmetry. This means that the toolhead can move much faster since it's not hauling the weight of more motors around with it. The disadvantage is more complicated math, but software, as the saying goes, is cheap.

Certain delta printers have additional advantages. For instance, some delta printers do not require linear bearings or linear rods. This is a huge advantage because those are the most expensive and least scalable parts of the Cartesian printers.
November 15, 2013 10:03AM
I'm not sure if this is a disadvantage, but for the most part of the designs, I feel the build area is too small (probably Simpson being the only exception). Perhaps it's just a matter of appreciation, because I have no numbers to compare the envelope area vs. build area of cartesians and deltas.

Certainly, deltas are much more fun to watch.
November 15, 2013 10:47AM
Guizmo

Certainly, deltas are much more fun to watch.

This is sorta a big selling point, when pitching it to the powers that be.

I remember back in the 90's when visitors from the corporate office came I would use my old pen plotter and laugh how they all would stand in awe watching it draw, "This is such cutting edge technology!!" Though I can't think of one time back then that anyone was impressed with watching the brand new full color inkjet plotter.
November 15, 2013 08:02PM
But what use is a large build area when warping limits to small parts?

The largest things I have been able to print are 30mm x 140mm and 60mm x 80mm. Anything larger I have tried warps.
A2
November 15, 2013 09:00PM

He uses a worm drive delta printer:
[www.rappidelta.com]

450mm ear to ear! (18 inches)
[www.thingiverse.com]

It was printed with my own printer - the RappiDelta (www.rappidelta.com) using PLA.
I used just about a full reel of filament so it weighs close to a kilogram.
It is printed at 0.3mm layer height with 6 perimeters.
It is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination as some of the overhangs really needed support at this scale! However it is as cool as a very cool thing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2013 09:01PM by A2.
Attachments:
open | download - ScreenHunter_223 Nov. 15 20.59.jpg (56.8 KB)
November 15, 2013 09:07PM
Wow
November 25, 2013 10:16PM
Wow! Godzilla Rostock!!!!
December 02, 2013 03:34PM
How about one that's not completely hollow?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login