Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rostock delta robot now printing PLA at 50 mm/s

Posted by Johann 
Rostock delta robot now printing PLA at 50 mm/s
June 24, 2012 10:09AM
I created a blog with more updates and links: [deltabot.tumblr.com]

Airtripper's direct drive bowden extruder with MK7 drive gear from makerbot.com on NEMA17 stepper.
PFA bowden tube: [www.mcmaster.com]
Silver PLA 1.75mm from ProtoParadigm
MakerGear hotend with 0.5mm nozzle
Slic3r 0.8.3
--layer_height=0.3 mm
--perimeter_speed=50 mm/s
--travel_speed=400 mm/s
--scale=2 Minimug.stl

Marlin modified for realtime delta geometry on Arduino: [github.com]
Feeding regular G-code over USB using Pronterface.

Now I'm looking for beta testers to find problems and make improvements to my design, and to help make better firmware. I know some folks have started printing parts to build their own Rostock printer. That's awesome! Please let me know if you need anything.
fma
Re: Rostock delta robot now printing PLA at 50 mm/s
June 24, 2012 12:11PM
Great! Good job! Here is the 3D printer next generation!!!

I'm one of these guys who started to build one winking smiley I'm waiting for some parts, but I hope to have it running soon!

Frédéric
June 25, 2012 08:30AM
Congratulations. The first self replicating Delta!

Its nice to see that it is accurate enough to produce good quality parts. I'm sure there will be many more of these produced in the near future.

I like the 3 adustable end stops located on the centre platform. A nice touch and a neat alternative to leveling the base plate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 08:33AM by martinprice2004.
June 25, 2012 09:01AM
Woah!!!! you beat me in the process! Congrats!

but ours was also a repstrap so we can't just print out parts like you did :'( But never the less, we're still going strong; now if only Torsten would get a break from his employer... the poor guy has been working like a dog now for months in a row sad smiley

Anyway, it looks promissing smiling smiley Hopefully i can add my own version results soonish too!

Cheers,
Reinoud and Torsten
June 26, 2012 03:03PM
I'd love to prototype...But well I don't own a printer...wanna print some parts for me winking smiley? Could you give specs about your PFA tube? And maybe a europe source (if you happen to know any)

Also...will there be any porting to arm boards? IE smoothieboard? (www.smoothieware.org)

Very impressive...I wrote up a Europe BOM as soon as I saw it. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2012 03:29PM by Schweppes.
June 26, 2012 06:10PM
Im still waiting on a hot ent to get my prusa going, But I think this will be next project!

Awesome work!!
Devon
July 16, 2012 07:05PM
Love the .gif of the small rostock btw smiling smiley
On my to-do list to build one too, then I may try a little idea about making it foldable (can't help but want to make things that can be folded ^^)

about // liberapay // flickr // wiki // thingiverse - github
July 16, 2012 09:37PM
Quick update:

Rostock is now the most popular thing on Thingiverse, and has been featured on the front page. I am surprised and humbled that my prototype design is so well received. Several people are building their own Rostock prototype. Greg Frost is refactoring the OpenSCAD sources to make them more parametric.

I'm starting to create documentation at reprap.org/wiki/Rostock and I could use some help. winking smiley

Schweppes, can you please share your Europe BOM? Here's a quote I got for a German source of the same PFA tubing that I'm using (2 mm inside, 4 mm outside diameter).

[email protected]
PFA-Schlauch natur virginal
2,00 x 4,00 mm
Menge: 10 m / 20 m / 30 m / 40 m: Preis: 1,68 EUR/m
Menge: 50 m: Preis: 1,58 EUR/m
Gewicht: 0,02 kg/m
Die Preise beziehen sich immer auf die o.a. Abnahmemengen.

Lieferzeit: Lagerware
Lieferung:
+ UPS 5,95 € pro Paket
+ Verpackung 1,50 € pro Paket
+ MWSt.

Wolf-Technik eK
Kölner Str. 13
D-70376 Stuttgart
July 17, 2012 08:21AM
I've found that very very many parts for a rostock can be found at reprapworld.com - including PTFE tubing, notably excluding the flanged bearings and the assorted screws.

(And I'm giving their belts (labeled 'T5') a try, don't know whether they'll work yet).

Also, Smalltec seems to be the cheapest supplier I could find for the precision rods - [smalltec.de]

Can't wait for my parts to arrive winking smiley

So long,
Tyberius Prime
Hello,

Amazing Delta Robot ! Fundamental work was make the axis parallel and simplify the mechanics.

The universal joint could be done using lego parts U814A ?

Why the frame must have two guides ? All delta have it but I dont find any information that explains why.

Could you print a set of plastic parts and sent to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil ? I need one to print more and try adjust the design.

I want try experimental prints and proportions for understand how could be the minimal rostock approuch.

Of course I will pay for parts and shipment.

best regards and thanks in advance,

Alvaro Barcellos, teeh
fma
Re: Rostock delta robot now printing
July 19, 2012 06:28PM
2 guides to remove unwanted degrees of freedom (rotations of the frame).

Frédéric
Re: Rostock delta robot now printing
July 21, 2012 03:49PM
Hi Johann,

are there any washers between joints and jaws?

nargos
July 24, 2012 07:58AM
There is quite a lot of place wasted near the top of this delta bot. Is there anything that can be done to reduce this? or at least make good use of it (e.g. by filling it with the eletronics. Or placing a raspberry pi on it, etc...)?

edit: Perhaps the filament spool can be placed in that 'extra arm space'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2012 07:59AM by mofosyne.
Re: Rostock delta robot now printing PLA at 50 mm/sthumbs up
February 12, 2016 08:36PM
thumbs upWill this design also work if you replace the two arm arms with one arm arms?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login