Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Delta Max Height Config

Posted by ayouden 
Delta Max Height Config
September 24, 2014 05:10AM
Hey,

Today I ran into a bit of an unexpected issue.

I was setting up my delta 3D Printer and I accidently pressed -10Y rather than -10Z.

This then caused my axis carriage to crash into my end-stop.

This then got me thinking. I have a max of 200mm and I have the same set up in my Slic3r and Repetier Host.

Thus meaning It could slice and print models up to 200mm in height.

However, with this crashing this cannot be done!

I would say my actual print height would be nearer 150mm.

I have had a look in Marlin and Repetier Host to se if I can find any Z off-set or something similar to tell the Printer that the maximum print height is 50mm BELOW the end-stop location.

Is there a setting for this I am missing, or is this something I will have to be very careful of when i print objects?

Thanks!
Re: Delta Max Height Config
September 24, 2014 04:20PM
Your max Z height peaks at dead center, and tapers down to a low at the tower.

You can take advantage of nearly all 200, IF your object is narrow at the top, but there is no settings to account for that in slicer or firmware, you just kind of have to be aware of it, or purposely limit your prints to the minimum max height.

If you're worried, set your slicer to the lowest number and that will give you a warning, then you can decide to either slice it or change it. Or just get to know the machine well enough and you can guesstimate if it will make it or not.
September 24, 2014 04:32PM
Hey,

Thanks for the reply, but I cannot see any Z height setting in Slic3r?

Thanks
September 24, 2014 05:12PM
Been a while since I used Slic3r, it may not have one. I know Cura does.
September 24, 2014 05:27PM
It maybe worth moving to cura...

I have heard only good things about it!
September 27, 2014 03:36AM
The delta printer working area is not a cylinder, it's like a rocket shaped at the top. This means that you can't print your max Y or Y sized objects all the way to the max Z but a little shorter.

For Rostock and Kossel look at the first shape with 3-DOF.
This is the picture from the document Architecture Design and Optimization of an On-the-Fly Reconfigurable Parallel Robot

All about delta 3d printers in one place [www.deltarap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login