Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Small Delta Kit Suggestions

Posted by Pointy 
Small Delta Kit Suggestions
December 29, 2014 06:06AM
Hi,

I have a limited experience with 3d printing, I built an Ormerod 1 about 8 months ago. I have found it both immense fun and frustration in my quest for consistent quality prints. I think a lot of my problems stem from the fact the printer is in a cold/damp environment out in my workshop, so I would like a small quiet Delta printer that I can use indoors in my study. (I have any area of about 400mm square, where I could put it)

There are lots of really nice designs for self build but I think it may be more sensible to get a kit. I like the look of the Mini Kossel, how many people here have experience of one and would you recommend it? Should I get the E3D V6 hotend or J Head? I am probably only going to use it for PLA so is the heated bed really required? Any other kit suggestions?

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
Re: Small Delta Kit Suggestions
December 29, 2014 07:13AM
Hi Les, have you seen my comparison of the Ormerod and the Mini Kossel here [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] ?

I have done very few prints with the Mini Kossel so far, so others on this forum can tell you more about its print quality than I can. It certainly takes up far less space than the Ormerod! The only issues I had with the MK were to do with bed probing.

I am in the process of adding support to my fork of RepRapFirmware to drive the Mini Kossel and other deltas from the Duet electronics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2014 07:13AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 29, 2014 10:01AM
dc42
Hi Les, have you seen my comparison of the Ormerod and the Mini Kossel here [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] ?

I have done very few prints with the Mini Kossel so far, so others on this forum can tell you more about its print quality than I can. It certainly takes up far less space than the Ormerod! The only issues I had with the MK were to do with bed probing.

I am in the process of adding support to my fork of RepRapFirmware to drive the Mini Kossel and other deltas from the Duet electronics.

Hi Dave,

I'd never heard of a Delta printer until I saw your article, I caught sight of it while checking your Sensor board instructions.

I thought the bed probe looked a little tacky, but I wouldn't be too worried about it.(This looked like a novel way to probe the bed) The size looks perfect, quality looks good from the sample pics, I'm just not sure how noisy it is.

I would love to be able to use a Duet with it, so I look forward to your progress with the firmware.

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
December 29, 2014 04:54PM
Les, I too would like to replace the bed probe. It needs a fairly strong spring because of the microswitch. So I am looking for switch-free solutions. Some people use force sensitive resistors under the bed mounting points to detect the force of the nozzle when it touches the bed, however there appears to be doubt as to whether this approach is compatible with the heated bed option. So I am considering either a variant of my differential IR sensor, or a solenoid operated probe with electronic or optical detection of contact.

The changes to RepRapFirmware for the delta are coming on well. The preparatory work is complete and the delta configuration gcodes are implemented. I wrote the delta homing code for the Duet today, and I expect to hook up the Duet to the Mini Kossel at the weekend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2014 04:59PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

December 31, 2014 02:57AM
Thanks for the reply Dave, please keep me updated with your Duet delta progress.

Having had another look around, there doesn't seem to be many options for small kits in the UK, looks like the think3dprint3d one is my only option, unless someone else knows better. As nothing is likely to ship until next week, I have a few more days to think about it.

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
December 31, 2014 04:21AM
Les, I expect t3p3 would do you a Mini Kossel kit with a Duet instead of ramps/mega if you ask. One thing I am not sure of yet is whether the Duet will fit under the bed, like the ramps/mega does. It may need some parts reprinting to put mounting points in the correct places.

December 31, 2014 04:08PM
I built one from the think3dprint3d kit and found it excellent. I used an E3D and a heated bed. I didn't add the probe as it seemed unnecessary with proper calibration. The supplied glass is very strong and flat.
January 02, 2015 08:22AM
I have decided to go down a completely different road and build a Cherry Pi III. One of thing's I wasn't so keen on with the Mini Kossel is the 15mm Aluminium extrusion. The Cherry Pi III uses 20mm Aluminium extrusion, which apart from being a bit stronger I have plenty of fittings for it. I have also decided to go with the Smoothieboard.

Wish me luck!

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
January 02, 2015 08:28AM
Pointy
I have decided to go down a completely different road and build a Cherry Pi III. One of thing's I wasn't so keen on with the Mini Kossel is the 15mm Aluminium extrusion. The Cherry Pi III uses 20mm Aluminium extrusion, which apart from being a bit stronger I have plenty of fittings for it. I have also decided to go with the Smoothieboard.

Wish me luck!

Regards,

Les

Good luck mate I myself am thinking of the Cherry PI4 CPi4

Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2015 08:29AM by dougal1957.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login