Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Endstop problems

Posted by B_CAMP 
Endstop problems
March 18, 2015 01:35PM
I am in the process of building a rostock delta printer but for the life of me I can't get the end-stops to work. The homing doesn't work (the motors hit the end-stops and keep going) and the motors move very slowly and jerkily. I have tried to switch the end-stops (between normally closed and normally open) but that hasn't changed anything. Any ideas on what to do would be great. (p.s. I am using Repetier firmware)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2015 01:36PM by B_CAMP.
Re: Endstop problems
March 18, 2015 05:50PM
First, what kind of endstops do you have, and what kind of controller?

I assume they are plain microswitches and you have an Arduino Mega 2560 + RAMPS.

So, first make sure you have properly connected the microswitches to the RAMPS. One wire must go to the signal pin and the other to Ground. Make sure pull-ups are enabled in the Arduino pins. Next configure the firmware properly, then test the microswitches by closing them manually.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2015 05:51PM by AndrewBCN.
March 18, 2015 06:28PM
I have plain micro switches and an Arduino Mega 2560 + RAMPS, I have them properly connected and I think I have the configuration right. What are pull-ups and how do I know if they are enabled? and what is the best way to manually test the switches?
Thanks for the help!!!
March 18, 2015 08:53PM
Send M119 to the printer. it should return a list of known endstops, and if they're open or closed.

Look in Configuration.h of the repetier firmware directory (src/ArduinoAVR/Repetier/Configuration.h) and make sure the ENDSTOP_PULLUP is defined to true:

#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_X_MAX true
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Y_MAX true
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Z_MAX true

Also make sure you have "DRIVE_SYSTEM 3" as that's Delta design.

Finally, just in case, verify that your configuration is set for 1/16 microstepping, AND you've got all 3 jumpers present under each stepper driver (Assuming you're running A4988's).
March 19, 2015 09:15AM
Also on the ramps board make sure you have them connected to max ( and not min) end stops
Make sure your config.h has
// ENDSTOP SETTINGS:
// Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
#define X_HOME_DIR 1
#define Y_HOME_DIR 1
#define Z_HOME_DIR 1

when connected issue a M119 command and it should return the status of your endstops

Ref >[builda3dprinter.eu]

Good luck
March 19, 2015 11:24AM
Ok so I tried all of the suggestions but when I try sending M119 I get back: x_max:H y_max:H z_max:H
I'm not sure what that means or where I have gone wrong. does it mean the endstops are being detected at all?
March 19, 2015 12:25PM
H means "high". Hold one of the endstops closed, and try M119 again.
March 20, 2015 10:20AM
When I hold them closed and send M119 nothing changes from open.
March 20, 2015 10:42AM
B_CAMP
When I hold them closed and send M119 nothing changes from open.

That means the endstops are not being read for some reason. Use a multimeter to check the logic level of the signal pin for each endstop. Does it change level when the endstop is closed manually or not ? You'll have the solution to your problem right there.
March 20, 2015 10:52AM
Okay so I moved the connectors and now they default to L and change to H when pressed down.
March 20, 2015 10:56AM
It does change levels when i press the endstops.
March 20, 2015 11:03AM
B_CAMP
Okay so I moved the connectors and now they default to L and change to H when pressed down.

That is exactly what they are supposed to do.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 20, 2015 11:06AM
Thanks everyone for the help!!! I think it is working now!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login