Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Could my kossel's linear rail be bad?

Posted by dudesom 
Could my kossel's linear rail be bad?
March 26, 2015 04:01PM
One of my HIWIN MGN-12H linear rails glides fine in one direction but does a stuttering motion in the other. I've tried working it by hand without any progress. Could my rail be bad? The other 2 rails do not do this at all.

Edit: I have taken the rail and carriage off of the assembly to test it and it still does this without being connected to anything else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2015 04:04PM by dudesom.
Re: Could my kossel's linear rail be bad?
March 26, 2015 04:38PM
Here's a video showing my troubles.
[youtu.be]
March 27, 2015 06:07AM
Yup looks bad or missing balls !!

Not sure of the internals on those things but looks like , assuming the rail itself is OK, that there is something ( debris) trapped inside between the balls. In one direction its in the trailing edge, other direction leading edge.

Assuming that getting a replacement is difficult id be tempted to take it apart . Carefully and be prepared for bearing balls!!!!!!

You haven't by any chance let the slider all the way off the rail and lost a ball ( or 2)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2015 06:10AM by bigfilsing.
April 12, 2015 02:15PM
No, I haven't. Any damage done to it was done before I got my grubby hands on it.

I actually tried ordering another off ebay. To my dismay, they sent a slightly smaller one that takes m4 screws.

Now I'm trying to take both apart and see why one works but the other doesn't. So far I haven't had any luck. I've tried taking bearings from the new one and putting them in the old but it doesn't seem to matter.

Other than takings the balls out, I can't seem to take it apart much more. I'd post more pictures but my camera is out.
April 13, 2015 12:33PM
After asking Folger Tech for some assistance, they've agreed to send me a new part. Apparently they are really getting their act together, support wise.
April 13, 2015 01:15PM
Thats good news . Good on them for supporting you
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login