Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New rostock mini with printable base frame

Posted by bigfilsing 
New rostock mini with printable base frame
March 10, 2015 12:26PM
Just thought id share my new adaptation of the Rostock mini with printable base frames ( as apposed to the laser cut acrylic ones)
I've also remodeled the main elements to hide some of the nuts & bolts that IMO were too visible.
Ive maintained the original Rostock mini part dimensions so parts can be mix n matched
All comments welcome
[www.thingiverse.com]

Im now hunting for a simple reliable extruder.
I might adapt my "quick change" direct drive variant ( [www.thingiverse.com] ) but would welcome recommendations
Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2015 12:27PM by bigfilsing.
Re: New rostock mini with printable base frame
March 10, 2015 05:43PM
Nice work, but right now it's not GPL compliant:
  • Missing proper attribution.
  • Missing source files.
March 10, 2015 10:43PM
AndrewBCN
Nice work, but right now it's not GPL compliant:
  • Missing proper attribution.
  • Missing source files.
Hi Andrew,
Could you explain a little more please.
Cheers
March 10, 2015 11:38PM
Sure.
Please note that I don't want to sound like the GPL police or anything, and this is not a criticism of your work.

Now:

Proper attribution: in this forum we all "stand on the shoulders of previous giants" and they themselves did the same. RepRap is a community based on collaborative work. For example, the Rostock was designed by Johann C. Rocholl and the designer of the Rostock mini acknowledged that when he published his design on Thingiverse [www.thingiverse.com].

Likewise, your work is derived from the work on the Rostock mini and you should acknowledge that and provide proper attribution for the parts that you have republished, as they are remixes of parts designed previously by others.

Source code: There are two cases. First case, hopefully, you used the OpenSCAD source code from the Rostock mini, modified it and generated your STLs for your new parts. In the second and worst case, you used another CAD program, imported the STLs into it, made some changes and generated your STL files (this is much worse than the first case because you lost all the possibilities of parameterizing parts that OpenSCAD allowed). In both cases you should publish the CAD files, not just the STLs.

By not publishing the source code you are effectively preventing other people from improving on your work, and you are not complying with the GPL license, which is the license under which both the original Rostock and the Rostock mini were released.

Proper attribution and source code availability are two very important principles for collaborative work in the RepRap community.
March 11, 2015 04:56AM
Hi Andrew

Mixed feelings on this.
First off don't worry about sounding like the GPL police. It can only be a good thing that the community monitors activity. Most people . like me, aren't really aware or bothered by the implications as this isn't commercial work

I thought by posting it on thingy verse ( where everything is covered under the Creative commons licence) and declaring it as a customisation i had fore filled my intention to clearly state that it is an adaptation. Further in the description i mention
others who indeed motivated me to develop my model and stl files.
Probably my greatest fault here was posting as a "New Rostock mini" rather than a "New adaptation / customisation of the Rostock Mini" and for that please accept my apologies.

Source files
Well no i dont use OpenSCAD because IMHO its unreliable and generates all manner of issues if the user/ code writer isn't very VERY careful. I offer the attached screen grab of OpenSCAD generated STL's as evidence upon which my opinion is based.
Only extensive repair and/or netfabb bring them back into shape ....pun intended.
I only have these issues with OpenSCAD generated STL files.... Could well be a Inventor import issue but if that were the case it would be strange that Catia 3Dmax Pro engineer Solid works, Design spark and even sketch up generated STLs all work fine. Just my personal experience ( and im sure im not alone)
I could rattle on about true solids versus mesh generated models but ill save you that.

I use Autodesk Inventor in my professional life and thus in my hobby life too. While it isnt perfect ( lets face it, which package is) it allows parametric design , drawings & documentation and structural analysis far exceeding other design software.
As noted on Thingyverse this is a work in progress and once complete ill be happy to provide the inventor part files as i did last year with the Prusa Air2 >[grabcad.com]

Your assumption regarding how i made my STL files is unjustified and misplaced. Probably cynically motivated from past experience.
If you have the opportunity i invite you to inspect the original ( brilliant as they were/are) Rostock source files and check some dimensions and you too will quickly find they are not as clean as they could be. Not normally an issue but as we progress in the
hobby 3D printing world and take extrusion widths speeds etc into account optimizing models for printing is an ongoing challenge to us all.

My sole intention is when i come across things id like to make and can see improvements ( somewhat from a selfish personal perspective ill admit) in appearance. strength, material usage etc etc i don't sit back and grumble, i draw/design it and publish it for all to share.
I have shared extensively on Thingyverse and Grab cad and am a great supporter of the community. I do not currently, nor do i intend to collaborate. That is for people with the luxury of time. I simply share what i do as a hobby with the community. Its that simple and simple it should remain
Cheers
Attachments:
open | download - motor_end issues.jpg (378.5 KB)
March 11, 2015 05:43AM
Hi bigfilsing,
Just a couple of small points:

1. Thingiverse allows for a choice of licenses. GPL and Creative Commons are two among half a dozen licenses or more available.
  2. The screenshot you posted does not seem to be from OpenSCAD... Are you sure we are talking about the same program?
  3. All the Prusa Mendel variants and Prusa i2, Prusa i3, Rostock and Kossel and variants 3D printer parts were designed with OpenSCAD, for a good reason: it is the best free CAD program for collaborative work. When one sees a design posted without the sources it is a sign that the designer wanted on purpose - for whatever reasons - to "close" the design and prevent any further work on it.
  4. It happens that some individuals and companies take from the community and do not give back - unfortunately we all stand to lose from this, so personally I do not encourage this attitude. All my designs are published under the GPL and include the source code.

Cheers,
Andrew
March 11, 2015 09:21AM
[*] Thingiverse allows for a choice of licenses. GPL and Creative Commons are two among half a dozen licenses or more available.
I know and your point is ?

[*] The screenshot you posted does not seem to be from OpenSCAD... Are you sure we are talking about the same program?
Read and ye shall become enlightened. The clue was " it maybe an Inventor import issue"

[*] All the Prusa Mendel variants and Prusa i2, Prusa i3, Rostock and Kossel and variants 3D printer parts were designed with OpenSCAD, for a good reason: it is the best free CAD program for collaborative work. When one sees a design posted without the sources it is a sign that the designer wanted on purpose - for whatever reasons - to "close" the design and prevent any further work on it.
Great for the respective designers and judging by the results OpenSCAD has worked for them. It doesn't work for me. In continually pushing OpenSCAD your are suggesting to "close" a design to people not using it.
As mentioned i have no desire to collaborate, which seems to be your main point. I simply publish my adaptations and designs for other to adopt/use in a "take it or leave it" manner.
Prusa Air 2 by Mecanno was designed in Catia and later converted to Inventor

[*] It happens that some individuals and companies take from the community and do not give back - unfortunately we all stand to lose from this, so personally I do not encourage this attitude. All my designs are published under the GPL and include the source code.
I agree and wholeheartedly support the community in any way i can. That we are subjected to abuse and theft is and will remain an issue im afraid.
I do not think my designs / adaptations are ground breaking and as such don't see the immediate need to publish the source files especially the ones that are adaptations of other peoples work. Once they are complete ( and by complete i mean built . tried and tested) i share all the info i have and generate step.iges & usually parasolid binary files.
Is there a way to convert them to OpenScad if you think that's worthwhile i may take a look at it time permitting. Honestly speaking i have invested so many hows in learning and getting to grips with Autocadd, AUtodesk Inventor and 3Dmax design i have never considered looking at using another cad package as ive never needed to.

Cheers
Phil
March 11, 2015 11:29AM
bigfilsing
[*] Thingiverse allows for a choice of licenses. GPL and Creative Commons are two among half a dozen licenses or more available.
I know and your point is ?

...l

Well, you wrote above :
bigfilsing
...thingy verse ( where everything is covered under the Creative commons licence)...

and I pointed out that various things in Thingiverse are covered by different licenses, Creative Commons being one of them but certainly not the only one. And it is quite important to keep in mind the differences between these licenses. For example, the Rostock, Kossel, Kossel mini and Rostock mini from which you derived your design were all released under the GPL, which requires you to 1) keep the copyright intact and 2) publish the sources or CAD files with your modifications.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2015 11:31AM by AndrewBCN.
March 11, 2015 12:15PM
Ya got me ...im dedicating my hobby time to copyright infringement and a general abuse of every bodies intellectual propertyfor personal gain and glory
Can we move on now please

Cheers
April 22, 2015 05:39PM
Any updates on this design?
April 22, 2015 08:31PM
madmike8
Any updates on this design?

Its all here Thingyverse
and a direct drive bowden extruder Direct drive extruder

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2015 08:37PM by bigfilsing.
April 22, 2015 09:47PM
Thanks
April 22, 2015 09:53PM
madmike8
Thanks
You're Welcome
I've printed and built mine and it works well so far. I'll post some pics later
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login