Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to convert a 1515 Kossel to 2020?

Posted by dc42 
How to convert a 1515 Kossel to 2020?
April 23, 2015 04:10AM
I currently have a short fat Kossel, which uses the vertical 1515 extrusions from my original Mini Kossel, but longer horizontal extrusions and diagonal rods and a new mains-powered 330mm heated bed. The only problem with this is that I sacrificed build height for build diameter, and I now want more height. So I need to make my Kossel taller.

I'm assuming that it isn't a good idea to simply buy longer 1515 vertical extrusions, because the greater height will required additional rigidity. So I plan on using 2020 vertical extrusions. I have a few questions:

1. My carriages from the Mini Kossel have 3 wheels which ride on the outside of the 1515 extrusion, using the slots as a guide for the wheels. Can I use the same wheels with 2020 extrusion, or does it have a larger slot and need larger wheels? If so, where can I source the wheels? Or should I be looking at linear guides or something else instead of the wheels?

2. Before I do my own, does anyone have a design for top and bottom frame vertices that take 2020 vertical extrusions and 1515 horizontal ones?

Thanks in advance!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2015 04:10AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: How to convert a 1515 Kossel to 2020?
April 23, 2015 04:28AM
dc42
I currently have a short fat Kossel, which uses the vertical 1515 extrusions from my original Mini Kossel, but longer horizontal extrusions and diagonal rods and a new mains-powered 330mm heated bed. The only problem with this is that I sacrificed build height for build diameter, and I now want more height. So I need to make my Kossel taller.

I'm assuming that it isn't a good idea to simply buy longer 1515 vertical extrusions, because the greater height will required additional rigidity. So I plan on using 2020 vertical extrusions. I have a few questions:

1. My carriages from the Mini Kossel have 3 wheels which ride on the outside of the 1515 extrusion, using the slots as a guide for the wheels. Can I use the same wheels with 2020 extrusion, or does it have a larger slot and need larger wheels? If so, where can I source the wheels? Or should I be looking at linear guides or something else instead of the wheels?

2. Before I do my own, does anyone have a design for top and bottom frame vertices that take 2020 vertical extrusions and 1515 horizontal ones?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Check out the Cherry pi (the STL's are on Thingyverse) although it is for 20x20 throughout am pretty sure that you could use 15x15 for the horizontals.

as for wheels you could probably use the same ones if not ooznest do the Openbuilds mini v Wheels for arround £3 ea.

HTH

Doug
April 23, 2015 05:18AM
I am thinking of buying three 1m lengths of these extrusions [www.metallin.co.uk]. Total £34.58 including shipping and VAT. Has anyone used these people before?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

April 23, 2015 05:47AM
dc42
I am thinking of buying three 1m lengths of these extrusions [www.metallin.co.uk]. Total £34.58 including shipping and VAT. Has anyone used these people before?

Dave

That's sound expensive to me

try Extrusion from them it looks like about £23 inc vat

I have used them loads and they are very good and you usually have the items in about 1 week from ordering (they don't charge for cutting either) and you could get a full set for a delta (3 verticals at 1mtr and 9 horizontal's @ 350 mm) for arround £34

Doug
April 23, 2015 08:09AM
Thanks Doug, that does look a better price. Is there any reason you pointed me to the B-slot version? The I-slot looks as if it may be more suitable for the width of my wheels.

I will also need 7m of 6mm GT2 belt, which I found on ebay UK for £16.79 - or do you know of a better source of that too?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2015 08:10AM by dc42.

April 23, 2015 08:34AM
dc42
Thanks Doug, that does look a better price. Is there any reason you pointed me to the B-slot version? The I-slot looks as if it may be more suitable for the width of my wheels.

I will also need 7m of 6mm GT2 belt, which I found on ebay UK for £16.79 - or do you know of a better source of that too?

Dave

the B Slot is slightly wider and is what we have used on the Cpi's with OpenBuilds mini V-Wheels (they also do very nice Tee Nuts for it along with lots of nice accessories such as slot covers feet etc

gt2 belt best place I know of is Robotdigg or wedo3dprinting both .com

6 mm GT2 belt $1.80/mtr depends on what he charges for postage etc but he is normally pretty good wedo3Dprinting is on my doorstep and usually get better prices from him by popping in which I can do for you if you wish or if you go direct to his web page www.wedo3dprinting.com he charges 2.40 /mtr free postage.

HTH

Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2015 08:35AM by dougal1957.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login