Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Buying a Kossel - help

Posted by sun510 
Buying a Kossel - help
May 24, 2015 03:04AM
Hi Everyone, I'm interested in buyer a Kossel, but budget is really my concern, I've found the following two kits, what would you guys say? any cheaper alternative? I am not looking to print sth extraordinary, just wanna get my hands on and play around with it.

reprappro :
[reprappro.com]
The Reprappro Kossel kit is £250 (including shipping), the appearance looks good, its a shame that it doesn't come with a heated bed option...

Another Kossel Kit from eBay:
[www.ebay.co.uk]?
This one is for £208 ((including shipping), comes with heated bed and a big power supply
Re: Buying a Kossel - help
May 24, 2015 04:01AM
sun510
Hi Everyone, I'm interested in buyer a Kossel, but budget is really my concern, I've found the following two kits, what would you guys say? any cheaper alternative? I am not looking to print sth extraordinary, just wanna get my hands on and play around with it.

reprappro :
[reprappro.com]
The Reprappro Kossel kit is £250 (including shipping), the appearance looks good, its a shame that it doesn't come with a heated bed option...

This is a brand new kit and has some very nice features it comes with a much more capable Controllers and has a very neat AutoCalibration Feature (This info taken From DC42's thread)
It has a fairly small build area mind

sun510
Another Kossel Kit from eBay:
[www.ebay.co.uk]?
This one is for £208 ((including shipping), comes with heated bed and a big power supply

This would be shipped from HongKong and I can't see you getting away without paying duty on it so factor in and additional 20% for VAT and the agent's charges to collect the money on behalf of HMRC could be anything from around £8 to £12 or so depending on the UK Carrier used.

My gut feeling is to go with the RepRapPro you could always add a Silicon or Kapton Heater that you would stick to the bottom of the Build Plate such as 150 mm diam silicon heater pad

HTH Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 04:10AM by dougal1957.
May 24, 2015 07:57PM
I would buy reprappro kit.

I've been helping a builder who bought a $350 Kossel kit few months ago. The builder ended up replacing core parts, no technical service from the kit company whatsoever. Cheap 3D Printer kit in China is scary thing. I wouldn't buy one for spare parts even.
May 24, 2015 08:44PM
If you buy a cheap kit from the Far East, don't expect the quality to be good. I can recommend the Mini Kossel kit sold by Think3DPrint3D here [www.think3dprint3d.com], however it's probably way over your budget. The current kit uses the ancient Arduino/RAMPS electronics (which is what you will also find in kits from the Far East), which is far from ideal, especially for a delta.

I saw the RepRapPro Fischer machine working on Friday, and it looked very good. They are quoting availability as 4 weeks. They say it is a beta, so there may be a few rough edges to the design initially; but RepRapPro supports their printers well. The electronics and firmware are state-of-the-art, so you are unlikely to run into problems in those areas. They will also stand you in good stead if you decide to build a larger delta printer later - I use the same electronics and firmware to run my just-completed Kossel with 480mm high x 300mm diameter print volume.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 08:45PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login