Posted by dougal1957 
Stringing
June 22, 2015 11:26AM
Guys

I am looking for inspiration here.

I am getting quite a bit of very hairy stringing on my fairly new Delta

It is loosely based on a Kossel but is 1 mtr tall with 500 mm sides

I has DUET controller with a DC42 Mini Sensor board and that is fine

I has a E3D V6 Lite hotend which extrudes really easily and I think I have cured the Blobbing that I was getting however I now get these very fine hair like strings.

I am using ESUN Pla for the initial testing (Have also used 3dfilament.ie PLA with same results) and temps currently are 195 bed at 70 retraction is set to 2 mm @ 60 mm/s which is what seems to have stopped the Blobs.
using Slic3r v 1.2.9 stable and also set the automatic speed to max 100 mm/s and 6 mm^3/s Extrusion rate Photos can be seen at.

Hopefully someone can shed some light onto what I can do to help this issue.

Doug

Have tried reducing 2nd layer and after temps to 185 this seems to be worse!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2015 12:11PM by dougal1957.
Re: Stringing
June 22, 2015 01:56PM
Doug, if you have the E3D Lite rather than the all-metal original E3D as I have, then I think you need to increase retraction. E3D suggest you start at 5mm when using the Lite with a Bowden extruder, and 8mm maximum. I was using 6mm with the Jhead on my delta before it packed up, and getting good results.

In my experience with the Ormerod, stringing when printing PLA is caused by too high extrusion temperature. So try reducing the temperature after the first layer. On the Ormerod, I print at 195C first layer and 180C subsequent layers. On my delta, I was printing subsequent layers at 185C or 190C because of the higher print speed.

I never did solve the stringing issues when printing ABS on my delta, but selecting "Avoid crossing perimeters" in slic3r helped.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2015 01:58PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Stringing
June 22, 2015 03:32PM
I use E3D V6 Hotend.

Retraction setting of Cura
Speed: 80 mm/s
Distance: 1 mm to 4 mm depends on a model
Minimum travel: 3 mm
Enable combing: All
Minimal extrusion: 0.02 mm
Z hop: 0.075 mm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login