Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Making a Kossel Calibration Friendly

Posted by thetazzbot 
Making a Kossel Calibration Friendly
August 31, 2015 11:23AM
I want to make my mini-kossel maintenance and calibration friendly.

Specifically, I want to be able to:

Remove and replace the top triangle which holds the belt pullies;
Remove and replace the end stops;
Remove and replace the bed;

Without having to calibrate the machine.

Before you say it is not possible:

End stop position mounting holes have been drilled and tapped into the extrusion tower.
Bed has spring loaded adjustable mounts in three positions near each tower.
Each roller carrier that attaches to the belt has adjustment screws to set correct end stop height.
I don't want a probe dangling off the effector.

The only piece that I still am having a problem with is the holes in the pcb that the end stops are manufactered on are way larger than the screws, so it introduces some play in mounting of the pcb to the end stop mount (printed rectangle). I think I need to redesign this so I can remove the end stop mount from the tower without removing the PCB from the printed mounting block. I may also switch to optical end stop switches. That should alleviate a couple of other headaches Im having.

Do you have any suggestions on additional enhancements to make the Kossel/Delta less headache when you *have* to do some R/R on it?
Re: Making a Kossel Calibration Friendly
August 31, 2015 11:32AM
If you used Duet electronics, then you would be able to recalibrate your machine in 30 seconds, so it wouldn't be such a big deal. I don't know what you have against a Z probe mounted on the effector, but you could use FSRs under the bed instead.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 31, 2015 11:55AM
Yeah I might use FSR on the bed. I don't want the probe on the effector because of personal preference.

Yes, I have duet but have not yet installed it lol

Thanks.
September 01, 2015 03:46AM
Screws with countersunk heads could help to center the endstop PCBs.
-Olaf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login