Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Success!

Posted by Freebird01 
Success!
August 29, 2015 11:24AM
Finally after multiple build iterations and changing directions a few times I'm finally starting to see some successful prints. Thanks DC42 and anyone else who endured my ramblings and stupid questions.

the biggest lesson ive learned is WATCH OUT FOR GARBAGE CHINESE COMPONENTS!!!!!

that has been the biggest hurdle. now that i spent some money and bought a budaschnozzle my printer is extruding reliably and i can actually tweak settings to get what want. Next step is to get rid of the seemecnc knockoff heated plate and find something a little stronger (dont get hot enough for my liking)

biggest issue im fighting at the moment is bed adhesion. I've tried abs slurry and hair spray and its only been marginally effective. I have a roll of kapton tape on its way.

i still have more cleanup to do on the build with hiding wiring and re-routing some of the cables.. and eventually i want to add a paneldue to it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6uJ76Meuyo

Re: Success!
August 29, 2015 12:43PM
Freebird01
Finally after multiple build iterations and changing directions a few times I'm finally starting to see some successful prints. Thanks DC42 and anyone else who endured my ramblings and stupid questions.

the biggest lesson ive learned is WATCH OUT FOR GARBAGE CHINESE COMPONENTS!!!!!

that has been the biggest hurdle. now that i spent some money and bought a budaschnozzle my printer is extruding reliably and i can actually tweak settings to get what want. Next step is to get rid of the seemecnc knockoff heated plate and find something a little stronger (dont get hot enough for my liking)

biggest issue im fighting at the moment is bed adhesion. I've tried abs slurry and hair spray and its only been marginally effective. I have a roll of kapton tape on its way.

i still have more cleanup to do on the build with hiding wiring and re-routing some of the cables.. and eventually i want to add a paneldue to it...

Congrats!
What motor do you use for the extruder?
August 29, 2015 01:04PM
its just a short bodied nema 17 stepper....40ozin i believe
August 29, 2015 03:41PM
I plan to build a delta with extruder directly on the platform too. I would like to achieve about 7g.
Can you post what maximum acceleration you can achieve with your setup?
August 29, 2015 04:07PM
not sure... im still having adhesion issues even after a successful small print so im still running normal speeds
August 30, 2015 04:17PM
what would be a good cause for mid layer adhesion issues?

PLA nozzle temp 210c
bed temp 50c

pronterface and slic3r for my software...

anything i should be looking for? anymore info you would like?
August 31, 2015 07:46AM
What's your retraction settings? With a cooling fan, if you retract to much the filament cools down and blocks the nozzle for a short time.
August 31, 2015 08:31AM
4mm and i have it lift the head 4mm to help eliminate it from dragging on the print.

extruder ratio is set to 1.2
August 31, 2015 08:51AM
Try lowering your retraction from the range 0.1 to 0.5mm (not the lifting, that's not an issue I believe), start low and find the sweet spot so your hotend won't leak and your filament won't cool down.
All you want is to release a bit of pressure from your hotend but you don't want the warm filament to cool down.

You might also want to play with lowering retraction speed, that could also be a factor.
August 31, 2015 09:34AM
will do thanks!
August 31, 2015 12:02PM
Freebird01
what would be a good cause for mid layer adhesion issues?

PLA nozzle temp 210c
bed temp 50c

pronterface and slic3r for my software...

anything i should be looking for? anymore info you would like?

When I get that first suspect is the filament not coming of the spool smoothly. Second check is variation in filament diameter (I use cheep stuff).
August 31, 2015 12:27PM
ive had too many issues with chinese e3d knockoffs that ive been watching that like a hawk. that hasnt been an issue. the filament is Makerbot filament...the replicator 2x we have at work doesnt like PLA at all and will only print abs reliably. so im using a roll of it in my printer.
August 31, 2015 02:36PM
ok...this is a quirk thats really bugging me with pronterface. I have it set for circular build platform... and in slic3r my parts are in the middle of the build plate..

pronterface has them out in left field. ive done some internet searching and come to the conclusion that i should be able to update it in the settings... however those areas are gray'ed out and there is no where to adjust...

September 01, 2015 01:57PM
I had this issue last night using Pronterface for the first time. My XYZ offsets and home positions were not grayed out and I was able to put in an X/Y offset of -75 with X/Y home pos. of 75. This centered my print. Not too helpful for figuring out why you don't have that option, but that is how I solved the offset.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login