Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is this a good Kossel Mini kit?

Posted by JMAPsci 
Is this a good Kossel Mini kit?
September 17, 2015 01:43AM
I am on a buget and I am replacing my 3d printer. This kit seems ok to me but I have never used a delta printer. Before I had a standard XYZ style. So do you think this is a ok kit?

[www.eastmachinery.com]
Attachments:
open | download - 04933129360865275.jpg (65.1 KB)
open | download - 04927135442235819.jpg (148.7 KB)
open | download - 04927135517106094.jpg (129.8 KB)
Re: Is this a good Kossel Mini kit?
September 17, 2015 03:54AM
That printer appears to use shower door rollers on the carriages, which are known for causing problems. I think you will need to pay a lot more than $212 for a kit of reasonable quality.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 17, 2015 04:16AM
Buy cheap = buy twice.
There are so many known problems with this kind of setup, you will end up with a nonfunctional printer or you´ll buy upgrades that will cost more than this kit.
1. The v-slot roller bearings are crap. They are cheap, so you can buy some extra and sort out the best.
2. these magnetic rods tend to be problematic . 1 of 10 prints may fail, due to effector/rod disconnection
3. arduino 8 bit controller is a limitation in print speed. You also miss some of the newest development in auto calibration and auto bed level.
4. the z-probe is a mechanic switch, which is a problem for auto bed leveling.
5. Last not least, the unknown quality of the printed parts

-Olaf
September 17, 2015 05:48PM
The printer you are looking at is not the mini kossel. It is the K800. It has been "renamed" by many for the Chinese suppliers. But it is the K800, you can find all the design for it on thingverse as it comes from a guy from the opensource community.

I have that printer and I recommend you to stay away from it.

Read this thread and the threads I link to in same:

[forums.reprap.org]

As I comment in same thread - I do not think you can get an "out of box" working DELTA printer for super cheap. The quality in parts needed for a good delta just prohibits it. If you want an absolute low cost printer you should look for kits in Cartesian printers. A lot of people say good things about the P3steel ( [reprap.org] ) and if you buy the parts yourself you can do it for maybe 300 USD. That will work, and if it doesn't work somebody have had that problem before you, and can help you. That is worth a lot!
September 18, 2015 02:18AM
If on a tight budget you will always get a better printer for same price if you source the parts yourself. A nice thing about a delta is that there are fewer parts to source. The quality of the printed parts is the key, if they are bad you are smoked.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login