Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is this part called? Any hints where I can get it?

Posted by Roxy 
What is this part called? Any hints where I can get it?
October 31, 2015 05:27PM
Hi! I'm bringing up a Geeetech G2s Delta printer. I want to build a second Effector for it with things the way I want them. But I don't want to tear the old Effector apart to get the parts I need.

In the Assembly Instructions at: [www.geeetech.com] it shows the part. It is on Page 37. It is Part #3. They call it a Rod End Bearing Holder.

It is 6mm in diameter and threaded all the way through. It has a little bulge in the center to limit how far it slides into the Effector and to limit how close the bearing can get to the Effector.

I would like to buy a dozen of these, but I can't find any parts that are close to what I want. I think the main reason I can't find any suitable hardware is I don't know what these parts are really called.

Can somebody help me out?

Thank You!
Re: What is this part called? Any hints where I can get it?
November 01, 2015 03:00PM
That part does not exist in the build instructions at any point other then in that picture. I assume that it is for a rod that is threaded with threaded bearings to allow you to increase/decrease the threaded rod length without removing it. The device is called a turnbuckle, you can get them at most hardware stores. [us.misumi-ec.com]

IE its for the rod bearings on the right, not the one with the left, which has it built into it.
November 01, 2015 04:34PM
It turns up again on page 49. I suspect it is custom made.
November 01, 2015 05:17PM
Turn buckle makes sense for a name. In my searches I came across an interesting Wikipedia article. It turns out this part got named in WW-II. They stole the design from the German's. They gave patent rights to a British company to make them. And as a result the official name appears to be: Hiem Joint or Rose Joint: (Hiem being the person and the company that got rights to make the part. Hiem did not invent the design.)

[en.wikipedia.org]

I just wish they gave us a name for the thing that goes into it!!! smiling smiley

THANK YOU !!! I do appreciate the help!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2015 05:22PM by Roxy.
November 26, 2015 06:05AM
The part appears to be rod that is slightly smaller diameter than the rod-end bearing that rides on it. Both ends of the shaft can be seen to be tapped or 'threaded', while one end has been turned to a smaller diameter. Turn-buckles are typically flat-sided so that a wrench may be used to turn the mechanical part. You can make the part by purchasing smooth rod, cutting it to length with a hack-saw, and center drilling and tapping on each end. The material is likely steel. Or look through an SI/DP catalog for 'cam-follower', you might find something that'll be off the shelf, but I suspect that it will be expensive.

*** Added ***

On the other hand you might use something like this:

M8 x 10 x 30 Class 12.9 Metric Socket Shoulder BOLT Precision Ground, Pk 5
(eBay Itm: 261666350990) $2.68 + $3.00 shipping

good luck...

phknutz

edt: Added info: 11-27-2015

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2015 09:55PM by nutz.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login