Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is 3 identical motors a requirement for a Delta printer?

Posted by realthor 
Is 3 identical motors a requirement for a Delta printer?
December 03, 2015 06:25AM
Hi guys, I have a delta with one faulty motor. I might need to replace that but i don't have another identical motor. I have some spare motors, they are still 200steps nema17s but they are not the same make nor the same amperage as the original ones.

Is there any problem if I put this 2.5A max rated power steppers along with the existing ones? The A4498 stepper drivers I have can not provide anyway the rated current that the motors can take.
Do I need to replace all three of them if one goes bad in a delta configuration?

Thank you.

RepRap Lander concept on Concept Forge
RepRap Lander concept on RepRap Forums
My Things, mostly experimental stuff
VDX
Re: Is 3 identical motors a requirement for a Delta printer?
December 03, 2015 06:47AM
... different motors are no problem, if they behave 'stepwise' identically ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 03, 2015 08:09AM
I 've been running my mini kossel using two 1.8 degrees and one 0.9 degrees motor w/out any problems. You just have to set the steps/mm for each motor right.

As far as motor current is concerned, it all has to do with how much current you allow it draw (via the pot or the firmware).
The current rating is the maximum current the motor will draw before burning in flames (sort of, anyway) smiling smiley
December 03, 2015 09:11AM
Thanks for shedding some light on this. I wasn't sure at all but had a feeling that it is possible.
@mandrav: Are you also using different microstepping values for the 0.9 stepper compared to the 1.8deg steppers?

December 03, 2015 09:59AM
realthor
@mandrav: Are you also using different microstepping values for the 0.9 stepper compared to the 1.8deg steppers?

No, same microstepping because I don't know of a way to change it on the Duet spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2015 09:59AM by mandrav.
December 03, 2015 11:07AM
Everybody seems to have the Duet I am a bit jealous... smiling smiley

December 05, 2015 04:20PM
Hey, I have a funny situation: I have taken apart the Z tower in my Overlord Pro and it seems that it uses MXL timing belts with 20tooth pulleys that are press-fit on the motor shaft. I can't seem to be able to get it out of there without some specialized extractor. The motor being very noisy and the plan to replace it with one I already have I thought of also using some pulleys i have (I only have GT2 pulleys) and the belts as a consequence will be GT2. I am planning to replace all motors ultimately and convert to GT2 because all seem to be noisier than these ones I have. Mine are Wantai, also chineese but heaps and bounds better then what DreamMaker choose to use (Mineba Motor).

Would it be outrageous or very difficult to calibrate if I will have one of the motors (Z) with GT2 belts/pulleys and all the others MXL? Does the "as long as they behave the same stepwise" apply to this case too? I am sure i'd have to change the steps/mm for this particular tower.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2015 04:41PM by realthor.

VDX
December 05, 2015 05:12PM
... yes, you have to change the steps_per_mm settings and maybe the max. possible speeds to -- then the software can calculate and move the sliders correct ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login