Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pictures of the DreamMaker Overlord Pro

Posted by realthor 
Pictures of the DreamMaker Overlord Pro
December 08, 2015 08:41AM
I am opening this thread so I can post as many pictures of the OLP as I can get because when I was researching the web for photos I could barely get some and most were marketing material, not detailed pictures of the printer's guts.

I am upgrading the printer to fit my needs so I can take some photos that potential buyers might be interested in.

I am posting this in the reprap forums because at least the firmware of this printer has been opensourced, it is based on Marlin and i believe DreamMaker will update it as they develop it. There is a Repetier fork that is begin worked on by some of the owners of this printer.

The hardware is based on the ArduinoMega with everything on board. The stepper drivers are replaceable, the OLED panel and the SD Shield are proprietary and there is an internal battery for pause/resume function. The hotend is also made by DM and has an electronic board ontop of it where fan's connectors and temp sensors plug in so that the wires don't need to run all the way to the board. This is mainly for easy replacements and powering the different toolheads.

There are many shortcomings of this printer that I am trying to address with this upgrade.
I can provide more info if needed, there is plenty on the dreammaker forums too:

Detail-of-the-OLP-carriage

Detail-of-the-idler-stack: Hex M4 Bolt - PFTE spacer - MXL 20 tooth pulley - PFTE spacer lockNut

Detail-of-the-heated-bed-underside

Detail-of-the-stepper-motor-and-MXL-press-fit-pulley

Detail-of-the-top-extrusion-fastener-screw-and-(from-the-factory) crack

Detail-of-the-top-idler-and-endstop

RepRap Lander concept on Concept Forge
RepRap Lander concept on RepRap Forums
My Things, mostly experimental stuff
Re: Pictures of the DreamMaker Overlord Pro
December 15, 2015 01:47PM
Here's a link that I missed before:

http://www.dreammaker.cc/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7

It has a lot of pictures from the factory and storage rooms, very interesting overall.

December 15, 2015 01:57PM
realthor
I am opening this thread so I can post as many pictures of the OLP as I can get because when I was researching the web for photos I could barely get some and most were marketing material, not detailed pictures of the printer's guts.

...The hardware is based on the ArduinoMega ...

Then it's obsolete already IMO.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 15, 2015 03:24PM
They are still selling the thing and i it were to be judged by the number of members in the dreammaker.cc forums, which is 30151, if all these people became members after they have bought th printer, like myself, this would be a huge userbase for a 3d printer. I don't have a comparison reference to give a similar printer in terms of sales but no, I don't think this is obsolete.

Better performance printers and better electronics have been rolled out since bu I fail to see a shift towards 32bit electronics. Cartesian people still swear by mega/ramps combo.

I will cease to update this thread anyways, as I find there is more than enough info there on the web about this printer, it's just not easy to find. But it's not because of obsolete hardware, even if myself and many others would like to see it magically replaced from our printers. And I too long for a Duet, but a $30 duet smiling smiley

December 15, 2015 03:38PM
The electronics is one of the most important components of a 3D printer, especially a delta. If you are only prepared to budget 10% or less of the entire cost of the printer on the electronics, don't be surprised if you get junk. It amazes me that people are prepared to spend $80 on a genuine E3D hot end, but baulk at paying a similar amount for decent electronics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2015 03:39PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

December 15, 2015 04:02PM
People are puzzling smiling smiley.

If you had to choose between the electronics and the hotend, which one would you buy first? Better electronics can help you drive several extruders, a full graphic LCD, some wifi, but basic electronics can do the printing well. Not highest speeds or bezier curves but very decent prints are possible. And once they work, they work well. Not same can be said about the hotends. I think they are the most under-developed part of a 3D printer. People have tons of issues with them and they are the most visible part of a 3D printer when something goes wrong. There's my explanation.

Waiting for a say 50 Duet/Smoothieboard is something that will have to happen if mass adoption of 32 bits electronics is expected soon. If not, Mega/Ramps is $30. I wonder if Megas could be clustered somehow smiling smiley

December 15, 2015 04:22PM
realthor
Better electronics can help you drive several extruders, a full graphic LCD, some wifi, but basic electronics can do the printing well. Not highest speeds or bezier curves but very decent prints are possible.

Possible, yes - but only just on a delta - and not easy, especially for novices in electronics and firmware, who probably account for the majority of kit buyers these days.

December 16, 2015 03:13AM
realthor

If you had to choose between the electronics and the hotend, which one would you buy first? Better electronics can help you drive several extruders, a full graphic LCD, some wifi, but basic electronics can do the printing well. Not highest speeds or bezier curves but very decent prints are possible. And once they work, they work well. Not same can be said about the hotends. I think they are the most under-developed part of a 3D printer. People have tons of issues with them and they are the most visible part of a 3D printer when something goes wrong. There's my explanation.

Waiting for a say 50 Duet/Smoothieboard is something that will have to happen if mass adoption of 32 bits electronics is expected soon. If not, Mega/Ramps is $30. I wonder if Megas could be clustered somehow smiling smiley

Well that point is already with us You can get a Duet from Replikeo for $49.99 and there are plenty of Smoothie clones for similar money as well if you look around to me it is a no brainer ( I have used Mega/Ramps, Duet and have a smoothieboard as well (this is for my CNC Router/Mill) and wouldn't use anything other than a duet on a delta at this moment in time given DC42's excellent movement and autoCalibration code that is in both the DC42 and the ZPL/CH Builds as far as I know)

Doug
December 16, 2015 05:26AM
dougal1957
realthor

Well that point is already with us You can get a Duet from Replikeo for $49.99 and there are plenty of Smoothie clones for similar money as well if you look around to me it is a no brainer ( I have used Mega/Ramps, Duet and have a smoothieboard as well (this is for my CNC Router/Mill) and wouldn't use anything other than a duet on a delta at this moment in time given DC42's excellent movement and autoCalibration code that is in both the DC42 and the ZPL/CH Builds as far as I know)

Doug

The $50 Duet is the 0.6 version which is single extruder and I don't quite trust the SBASE smoothie clone just yet. But yes you are right, we are quite close to that price barrier I guess.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login