Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MKS-MINI v1.1 stops responding when connecting power

Posted by serp 
MKS-MINI v1.1 stops responding when connecting power
December 19, 2015 04:57PM
I bought a Kossel Mini DIY kit on aliexpress. It worked surprisingly well after putting it together and calibrating it.
After exactly a week and 10 small/medium prints the printer started acting weird.

If I connect only the USB cable I can connect to the printer as normal and temperature readouts start showing up on the PC (I use Repetier-Host). All seems fine. The LCD screen is turned on by this point, but a bit dim, and updates as well.
If I then connect the main 12V power the printer stops communicating with the PC. The LEDs that blink with each packet to/from the PC now constantly lit. The LCD gets lit up more at this point, and keeps refreshing with temperature readings.

If I connect the main 12V power from the beginning I can't connect to the printer at all. It just enters the error state immediately.

This first happened last weekend. After disassembling everything it started working again. I then put it together and could use it all week, but now this is happening again.

It seems to be something with the electronics, but I don't know how to proceed in debugging this. Anybody had a similar problem? Any ideas on what I can do to investigate?
Anonymous User
Re: MKS-MINI v1.1 stops responding when connecting power
January 14, 2016 05:01AM
Sounds to me you have a "Ground"-Problem.

1.) Do you have your PC and the Delta connected to the same Mains-Socket? - Use a Socket Multiplier
2.) Since I don't know which Mains-Socket you have - Is it possible to turn the connector of the Delta arroud for 180° - so Line and Neutral are exchanged?
3.) Use another Powersupply for the Delta

Failing USB-Connections are usually a Problem of Ground-Loops, where the USB Groud Shorts diferent Ground-Voltages
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login