Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tuned liquid damper for flying extruders

Posted by sungod3k 
Tuned liquid damper for flying extruders
January 19, 2016 07:13PM
Hi,

I was thinking about tuned liquid dampers --> [www.youtube.com]

It wouldn't be to hard to place a (closed) water reservoir somewhere on the effector and tune it to the resonance frequency flying extruder. We`re basically earthquake proofing the effector/motor.
It could potentially work on non flying setups as well.
TLDs should cover a range of frequencies not only the specific resonance frequency one so depending on how they are tuned one could cancelout or dampen other normal moves as well.

Has this been tried or am I ignoring basic physics and it would never work grinning smiley?
Re: Tuned liquid damper for flying extruders
January 19, 2016 08:17PM
Interesting idea.

I've been considering something like this:
[www.aliexpress.com]

Another option is to wrap some foam around the rubber bands -- open cell foam is a good absorber of vibrations.

Tbh my flying extruder doesn't shake around all that much anyway, certainly not enough to notice on the print.
January 19, 2016 09:04PM
I think the frequencies of vibrations in the rubber bands and the swinging of the motor are quite far apart. There are also rubber damper for the motors, to get the higher freuqncies out
January 20, 2016 04:21AM
You do not want to put the reservoir on the effector. Only on the extruder motor if the motor is experiencing some vibrations which attenuate too slowly.
The effector should stay light so that the vibrations small infills or any direction change leads to sharp corners ... and therefore more precise prints.
January 20, 2016 05:24AM
true you have to calculate the weight of the water in but i dont think it will be much and I´d rather have a slightly rounded corner than an acceleration artifact.
January 20, 2016 07:20AM
If you have acceleration artifacts like e.g. a wave after a corner then increasing platform weight will make it worse. Well in a way. The initial wave will be bigger and longer and the subsequent waves will dampen quicker. At least it should be so at corners after longer straight moves. Hard to predict how it will behave on small infills. My guess is that it will just randomize the error but will not necessarily make it smaller.

To minimize acceleration artifacts you need first make sure that your belts are as stiff as possible. If you have glass core belts then get steel core belts. If you can get wider belts get them. Tighten the belt a lot.

Provided you do not have any play in rod ends or carriages than belt elasticity is the biggest contributor. The second one is Ø 8 mm smooth rod elasticity if you use them. If you do not use them then my guess would be carriages or carriage rollers. If your whole frame vibrates then the most easy thing is to stiffen the corners (or tighten strings over side diagonals) and mount something heavy on the top of the printer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login