Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rostock Problem

Posted by dean.piper 
Rostock Problem
August 01, 2012 11:38AM
Hi everyone, I know there aren't too many folks out there with Rostock printers yet but I am having a bit of an issue I was wondering if others had seen.

Johann's page at reprap.org says that the G28 homing command will home the printer upward and then down to the minimum endstops. Mine simply stops at the up stage. Once there I can lower the carriage and move about without much hassle but if I home the Z axis it goes straight upward. Not really useful for printing.

Anyone see this issue, or have any suggestions?
fma
Re: Rostock Problem
August 01, 2012 02:04PM
Johan said that he was modifying the firmware so it only needs the top endstops; maybe you are using a not-ready version?

Frédéric
August 02, 2012 01:48AM
I was having the same problem. You'll need to make sure your upper (max) limit switches are connected to your max endstop connectors on the board. I was trying to get away with only using one set of endstops (on the max end) and had mine hooked to the min endstop connectors and finally today I figured it out and wired up a min set of endstops as well to the proper connection on the board. Hope this helps... good luck.
August 02, 2012 09:54AM
I have all 6 endstops in place and have them wired appropriately. I guess I will double check everything and make sure I don't have something crossed up.

It's odd, once all three max endstops make connection the motors just stop and everything stays engaged.

If I do an M84 I can get them to disengage and then I can move the motors. It's as if it is locking up during the homing sequence once the max endstops all hit. It won't take any other input until that M84 is sent.

BTW I am on Ramps 1.3.
August 02, 2012 10:31AM
I also had a few wires flipped on the limit switches (thinking that it wouldn't matter since it was just opening and closing the switch). I ran M119 to see the status of the endstops and I had a couple that weren't showing "L" so I flipped a couple wires around and then ran the command again until I had "L" on all of the switches. I'm new to this, so maybe I'm grasping at straws, but these were some things that were plaguing me. I'm using Ramps 1.4 but let me know if you want me to send my firmware file to you so you can look at the changes I made. I know how frustrating it can be when you're this close.
August 02, 2012 11:30PM
Looks like the wiring on one of my limit switches was backward causing the whole thing to stop. Good to know, can't say I've come across that in the last couple years while doing this. I guess it's a good thing that I haven't had more wiring errors though, lol. Thanks again for all the help! It looks like I'm gonna start testing some code. I can't wait.
August 03, 2012 01:24PM
So glad to hear! It's so cool to see this thing move when you finally get it working properly. I can't wait to see how things go with your printing. Make sure to post results sometime in the near future and I'll do the same when I get mine printing.
October 20, 2012 02:01PM
I have a previous problem but I think it's a good place to comment it.

I can't connect with the board. The platform a I'm using is pronterface, I made the adjusts in the configuration.h and in Marlin.pde that Johan talks about in the reprapwiki.

Once I could connect to the board but nothing moved and now I have errors like:

Connecting...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./pronterface.py", line 1567, in connect
self.p.connect(port,baud)
File "/home/krivirna/Escritorio/Software/pronterface/printcore.py", line 76, in connect
self.printer=Serial(self.port,self.baud,timeout=5)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/serial/serialutil.py", line 260, in __init__
self.open()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 276, in open
raise SerialException("could not open port %s: %s" % (self._port, msg))
serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port /dev/ttyUSB0: [Errno 2] No existe el archivo o el directorio: '/dev/ttyUSB0'

I don't know if anybody knows what I talking about or have an explication but thanks for read and, in cases, for the answer.

Miguel.
October 20, 2012 02:04PM
I forgot:
Sanguinololu 1.3a
ATmega644P
3 top endstops
Marlin
Nema17
This are my rostock characteristics.
I think thats all
October 24, 2012 03:35AM
Miguel, that reads as if the board is either not discovered by USB, or it's being connected to another 'virtual' usb port.

What do the few last lines of 'dmesg' say right after you've plugged in the board?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login