Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do I test the pins for the x axis motor

Posted by jmalinski 
How do I test the pins for the x axis motor
September 19, 2016 02:33AM
I have a problem with the x axis motor not working. I changed the stepper driver, I changed the ramps 1.4 board, if I plug the x motor in the y stepper driver it works fine, so I know the motor and the wiring are ok. I've got everything else working now, the endstops, the other two motors home correctly. the only problem I have is the x motor. It doesn't move at all, doesen't jerk or hum, nothing. So I'm thinking maybe there is a bad pin on the processor. I would like to test this, but I don't know how and I don't have another Atmega 2560 board. Thanks for any help. Jerry
Re: How do I test the pins for the x axis motor
September 20, 2016 07:13PM
Whilst someone here almost certainly knows, a cloned atmega is a fairly cheap replacement part, it might be easiest to buy one and swap it out.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
September 21, 2016 01:39AM
I'll probably wind up doing that. I just thought someone on the forum would know how to swap pins with the 2nd extruder, then I could use this board until I got some money. I'm in my seventies and live off of my social security, so there is not a lot of extra money floating around here.
September 21, 2016 01:47AM
Ah okay now I see yes you can do that it's all in the pins file. Are you using marlin? If so what version?

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
September 21, 2016 02:01AM
Also I've been searching for some other ideas. Some people suggest sending m502 to reset defaults from eeprom. Or updating to later firmware.

I had this once myself and it was some corrosion on the ramps board which was causing a short I cleaned it up, resolvered one pin and it started working again.

Simon Khoury

September 21, 2016 02:54AM
Yes, I'm using Marlin 1.1.0 RC6. I'll look in the pins file and see what it looks like, maybe I can just figure it out.
Well, looking over the pins.h file, I have no clue as to how you change the x-motor pins with the 2nd extruder. In the pinsramps14.h
file there are assignments for the steppers and everything else. The steppers have five pins and the extruder has only three. Any help with any of this.
September 21, 2016 03:43AM
Please post the pins file you are using, and I'll see if I can change it, there's so many versions on github.com I don't want to give you the wrong one.

Simon Khoury

September 21, 2016 07:51AM
Okay looking at the RC6 pins_ramps_14_EFB file you would just swap the step,dir,enable pins from E1 axis so 36,34,30 to the pins for x. example as below

#define X_STEP_PIN         36
#define X_DIR_PIN          34
#define X_ENABLE_PIN       30
#define X_MIN_PIN           3
#ifndef X_MAX_PIN
  #define X_MAX_PIN         2
#endif

#define Y_STEP_PIN         60
#define Y_DIR_PIN          61
#define Y_ENABLE_PIN       56
#define Y_MIN_PIN          14
#define Y_MAX_PIN          15

#define Z_STEP_PIN         46
#define Z_DIR_PIN          48
#define Z_ENABLE_PIN       62
#define Z_MIN_PIN          18
#define Z_MAX_PIN          19

#define E0_STEP_PIN        26
#define E0_DIR_PIN         28
#define E0_ENABLE_PIN      24

#define E1_STEP_PIN        54
#define E1_DIR_PIN           55 
#define E1_ENABLE_PIN      38

Leave x min and x max pins as these link your endstops to the axis and wont be changing. Now connect x motor to E1 stepper driver and see if it works.
(I put the x stepper driver pins in place of E1 instead of leaving it blank as I don't know if it will throw a compiler error if these do not have any values in).

Simon Khoury

September 21, 2016 12:46PM
If I'm changing the pins for X why would I plug the motor into E1? Wouldn't I leave it plugged into X?
September 21, 2016 01:26PM
No because the pins refer to pins on the arduino atmega which are effectively wired directly to the various components on the ramps board. So pins 36,34,30 are wired to the e1 stepper driver. You're actually telling the firmware that this driver is now the x axis.

I think it's just a question of how you see the roles of the various parts, the arduino is the controller, the ramps is just an interface to handle the larger currents required to heat things and move motors which the arduino can't do as it's too small.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2016 01:39PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

September 21, 2016 02:31PM
I get it. Thanks so much for helping me with this. I have the printer tore apart right now, as soon as I get it back together I will try the changes and I'll post the results. Again, thanks for the help. Jerry
September 21, 2016 02:33PM
You're welcome, let me know if it works.

Simon Khoury

September 23, 2016 03:12AM
It worked, oh happy day. All my motors are moving now. Thanks again.
September 23, 2016 03:31AM
Glad it helped.

Simon Khoury

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login