Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

delta printer controller.

Posted by paul12 
delta printer controller.
March 12, 2017 09:33AM
Hello.
I have gone through many forums looking for a 32bit delta printer controller but did not succed. Most the forums are old and therefore cannot be taken into consideration. i had previously made two delta printers using ramp 1.4 but for the next printer i want to make it really big (570mm dian and 450 mm height) . Also wanted to incorporate auto calibration and auto leveling.
So could anyone please suggest me good controller. I have gone through duet 0.6 and azteeg x5 mini. But no forum gives me a real idea of what to choose.

Thank you
Re: delta printer controller.
March 12, 2017 05:28PM
I am biased because I co-designed it, but I honestly think you can't beat a Duet WiFi except on price. In particular, on a delta printer it gives you auto calibration of up to 9 factors and segmentation-free delta kinematics. Plus super-quiet stepper drivers with up to 256x microstepping and a web interface with fast file uploading to the SD card. More info at duet3d.com.

Apart from this forum, other good forums about delta printers are [groups.google.com] and [forum.seemecnc.com]. The second one is mostly about delta printer kits sold by SeeMeCnc but lots of things are discussed there including alternative controller boards.

HTH David

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 12, 2017 10:23PM
Hello sir,
Will u suggest duet 0.6?
For my budget I can't afford the duet WiFi and panelDue together.
March 12, 2017 10:27PM
Another popular option is the Smoothie board:

[smoothieware.org]
March 13, 2017 03:27AM
the duet 0.6 is a 1/16 micro stepping only, you did not specify what stepping your looking at , or onboard or removable driver.

On top of my head there is the Duet boards, with RRF firmware ( one of the best firmware for delta)
The radds/Due Combo with Marlin/repetier OR RRF firmware (removable driver so you use a old A4988 or the fancy raps128 or TMC )
A bunch of different smoothie clone board and the original some onboard some removable driver.

The Duet got a good support and best firmware ( my opinion)

The Radds got less support but allow the same firmware as duet plus marlin/repetier that mean must of the firmware support is share with duet user even DC42 help on that front( and we are grateful) , 6 removable driver without a extension board, No web interface, can work with normal lcd on marlin/repetier and paneldue on the RRF firmware,you chose your own driver so price vary, it cost less then the duet wifi but its not ramp cheap price,its depend of the driver and if you chose a clone or original due and if you add a raspberry pie to that to make it wireless.

The smoothie, some love some dont, I dont have experience with them when I look at them the configuration of the firmware turn me off but people said they have good support too ( if you have an original, clone board user do they own support must of the time for what I read,its a bit complicated on that front, but there some post that explain they position on supporting the clone board if you search around)

Your best bet is to go down to "Controller" on this forum and check out the thread about those boards and chose whatever is important for you.
March 13, 2017 03:46AM
paul12
Hello sir,
Will u suggest duet 0.6?
For my budget I can't afford the duet WiFi and panelDue together.

The Duet 0.6 runs a delta printer well but its drivers only do 1/16 microstepping, so your printer won't be as quiet as with a Duet WiFi. It is less well protected against mis-wiring and short circuits than later Duets.

A Panel Due is not essential because you can use a tablet or smartphone to control the printer.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

March 13, 2017 11:43AM
Thank you all. I will read some more posts and since the duet can be used through mobile i will mostly opt that that.
March 13, 2017 06:35PM
Just to lets you know ALL firmware can be control from a phone/tablet/computer by wifi or ethernet if you add a raspberry pie , the main thing you should be looking for is the micro stepping available and firmware.
Duet is a good board but if your after a real micro stepping 32 and higher please note the 256 stepping is not really a 256 stepping but a 16 stepping that the driver multiply with some trick.
March 14, 2017 02:49AM
GroupB
Duet is a good board but if your after a real micro stepping 32 and higher please note the 256 stepping is not really a 256 stepping but a 16 stepping that the driver multiply with some trick.

Duet WiFi can do that (x16 interpolated to x256) and can also do x32, x64, x128 and x256 non-interpolated microstepping, all under software control (M350 command). Take your pick.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2017 02:51AM by dc42.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login