Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Kossel XL build

Posted by srs5694 
My Kossel XL build
October 29, 2018 09:52AM
Hi all,

About ten months ago, I began building a Kossel XL printer. I posted a few questions on this forum, in fact. I got it working months ago, and was working on a writeup to post on my Web page, but didn't get around to finishing it until now. (Better late than never, right?) If anybody's interested, it's here:

https://www.rodsbooks.com/kossel-xl/

This isn't a typical build log. It covers some of the principles behind 3D printing and delta printers specifically, but it's mostly an extended description of how the parts all fit together and why I made the specific choices I did -- the sort of information I found quite hard to find ten months ago. Of course, not everybody would make the same choices I did, and there are some I made that I'd do differently today, hindsight being what it is; but I thought this might be a useful resource for those who want to design and build a Kossel printer from scratch.
VDX
Re: My Kossel XL build
October 29, 2018 10:06AM
... a pretty good summary smileys with beer

Should be added/linked into the WiKi (if not done already) ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Re: My Kossel XL build
October 30, 2018 12:57PM
Nice job on the write-up, it reads like a book!

That is a unique printed carriage design for the extrusions. One thing that caught my eye, It looks like the lever arm for the belt connection is fairly far away from the rail (15mm or so)? Given the friction of sliding parts, I would do everything I could to try to minimize the belt to rail distance. This will help with lowering friction, as well as increasing precision (less rocking).

I looks like the carriage is printed in its orientation while the mount is printed laying flat, but if you could combine them somehow into one print that would give the best result. Or if you moved the mounting holes to the sides of the carriage, that would save 5mm at least.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login