Advanced

The "Flying Extruder" Mod

Posted by ähM_Key 
Re: The "Flying Extruder" Mod
May 10, 2017 04:08PM
think so mate can't wait to get mine lol
May 10, 2017 04:47PM
How about an extruder suspended from the top centre of the machine by a constant force spring? See [www.leespring.co.uk].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 10, 2017 09:11PM
If you dont mind the optics you can place a V bearrings over you towers and a counter weight over each tower. The removes all influences of a swinging extruder from the carriages.
May 11, 2017 06:51AM
I've added Nebbian's A-struder to my mini Kossel and it's a great improvement, but I'm having trouble with the Bowden tube causing effector tilt. If I do a 6-factor calibration (using RRF) with the tube disconnected I get a deviation of around 0.03mm (without using H parameter). If I repeat this with the tube connected it increases to 0.06-0.07mm. I've tried various lengths of tube, from 9cm to 13cm. Longer lengths give slight improvement but I'm concerned about increasing downward force on the effector around X=Y=0. Is there a trick to getting just the right combination of elastic tension/length and Bowen length? Or perhaps my PTFE tubing is too stiff - are there less stiff alternatives?
May 19, 2017 06:32PM
Having dropped the flying extruder in favour of the cable driven one I've seen my deviation go from 0.02 to as low as 0.006mm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2017 06:32PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
May 20, 2017 06:46PM
Impressive, I'd be happy with with 0.02! Forgive my ignorance but what is a cable driven setup?
May 21, 2017 01:58AM
Cable driven setup is when you use a Remote Direct Drive (RDD)
The RDD leaves the stepper mounted on the printer frame somewhere and a drive cable then powers the extruder part mounted directly on the effector or print head.
This makes sure the extruder part is as light as possible, in the Nimble case less than 27 grams, while you still have a direct driven extruder.
Basically, you have all the benefits of both bowden and direct drive, with none of the disadvantages.
RDD is a good alternative to a flying extruder.

Lykle

Co-creator of the Zesty Nimble, worlds lightest Direct Drive extruder.
[zesty.tech]
May 21, 2017 05:22AM
Thanks for explaining that. Sounds like a great idea that I wasn't previously aware of.
May 21, 2017 06:52PM
Lykle
The RDD leaves the stepper mounted on the printer frame somewhere and a drive cable then powers the extruder part mounted directly on the effector or print head.
This makes sure the extruder part is as light as possible, in the Nimble case less than 27 grams, while you still have a direct driven extruder.
Basically, you have all the benefits of both bowden and direct drive, with none of the disadvantages.

nimble is pretty damn expansive!!! 50euro will be an honest price but 80 for this..
May 22, 2017 04:42AM
You probably can built it yourself. Try a hard steel wire in the range of 1 - 1.5 mm. The wire can be placed in a bowden but it is not necessary. You will need quite a significant gearing (probably in the range of 1sad smiley30-60)) so that the torsion forces on the wire are not too high.
May 22, 2017 05:25AM
titeuf007
Lykle

nimble is pretty damn expansive!!! 50euro will be an honest price but 80 for this..

Yes I think you probably can build one, but the titan extruder is £50, and that doesn't come with remote drive, or offer a super light solution for direct drive, which both the Nimble and the Flex3Drive offer. So for a little more money you get a lot more extruder.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
May 22, 2017 07:30AM
hercek
You probably can built it yourself. Try a hard steel wire in the range of 1 - 1.5 mm. The wire can be placed in a bowden but it is not necessary. You will need quite a significant gearing (probably in the range of 1sad smiley30-60)) so that the torsion forces on the wire are not too high.

Wouldn't that create even more side-forces to the coldend than a bowden tube alone?

I wondered how spectra line would act in a bowden tube, when it's used as winch drive? There wouldn't be a need for a worm drive anymore, just make the winch pulley big enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2017 07:33AM by o_lampe.
May 22, 2017 07:34AM
o_lampe
hercek

Wouldn't that create even more side-forces to the coldend that a bowden tube alone?

I wondered, how spectra line would act in a bowden tube, when it's used as winch drive? There wouldn't be a need for a worm drive anymore, just make the winch pulley big enough.

In my experience a cable drive doesn't put lateral forces on the effector, provided the cable is long enough (mines 90cm) and well supported (I use a key chain retractor at the apex of the loop of cable). I'm calibrating to 0.006, down from the 0.02 I had with the flying extruder, I never used a conventional bowden on my kossel XL so I can't compare to that setup.

That being said I think the flying extruder was a big boost from bowden on my kossel mini, it just didn't perform as well on the kossel XL, and when I went to dual flying extruder that was even more obvious.

Simon Khoury

May 23, 2017 03:04AM
I had the same trouble with my Delta and a Diamond hotend. Three steppers bouncing around is just too much.
Now waiting for the Diamond-Nimble ( hint-hint ) winking smiley
June 08, 2017 12:17PM
If someone made a multi material remote direct drive similar to Prometheus or Prusa multi-material, I would be all over it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login