Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reprap Kossel vs Rostock (and the 3Dr?)

Posted by dival 
Reprap Kossel vs Rostock (and the 3Dr?)
July 26, 2013 05:25AM
Me and my FRC team are thinking about building a 3D printer for our personal use. We are now struggling between the two main options: the Rostock and the Kossel. Right now we haven't found any significant advantages or disadvantages for any of them except that we had to assume that Johann chose to build the Kossel after finishing the rostock for a good reason, therefore it must have *some* advantages that justify the additional cost for the more expensive linear rails.
Moreover, we got impressed by the new design of the 3DR by RichRap. Does anyone suggests us to wait until he publishes the design (if he's about to) and build this one?
If anyone is able to help us by sharing some information about any of them we would be very glad.

BTW: Sorry about my english, I am not a native speaker...
Re: Reprap Kossel vs Rostock (and the 3Dr?)
July 26, 2013 05:49AM
What does FRC stand for?

IMHO all three are good choices.

The Rostock and Kossel are well documented and everything that RichRap does is well done.
His 3DR Delta 3D printer will be no exception.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
July 26, 2013 03:13PM
Would you recomand picking the Rostock just for saving some cash on the liner rails?
And anyway, can someone link us to any site that sells cheap HIWIN rails and carriages for the Kossel? The best option I found is this in which we have to buy one additional rail that we don't need.

FRC- FIRST Robotics Competition. It is an eductional program that encourages high school students to science and technology by making it a "sport". For some reason I thought it to be well-known enough to pass it without a mention
July 30, 2013 10:25PM
A Kossel doesn't need to have the expensive linear slides. I believed they moved to them with the Kossel pro. Many have used delrin wheels with bearings, with various extrusions. Some just have plastic carriage which fits 6 or so bearings and they slide on aluminum or steel tubing. Lots of options. Be sure to check out the magnetic joint variation as well as the cerberus and the cerberus pup. I just saw one the other day with rods and extrusion.

In short, the borders are quite loose. Also, Ibought a few things which were out-tech'd before I could install them on my machine.

But to answer your question specifically, it seems some complain about the linear bearings being noisy on the rods (rostock), especially after some use.

EDIT: also when you go to purchase you'll discover shipping and buying one of each piece is the major cause of higher prices. Besides the electronics and motors, it might very cheap to build a second or third if costs permit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2013 10:29PM by orangezero.
July 31, 2013 11:25PM
Me and a couple of other guys have been working on what is *hopefully* the cheapest printer if cost is a big concern. It uses a spectra fishing line instead of belts.. which also makes it more precise! You can check it out here: http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?178,230668
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login