Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LISA Simpson

Posted by nicholas.seward 
Re: LISA Simpson
January 26, 2014 09:56PM
My base has morphed a bit:

It still fits through the ever famous door. It's optimized for motors and electronics above the mid plate. More or less - no more bottom plate.
January 30, 2014 07:51PM
Been thinking about the whole screw issue. Would you be able to implement somekind of rack-and-pinion setup? Have the pinions connected to the motor and the rack drives each axis.
January 31, 2014 07:15AM
Do the motors move or are they stationary?

If the motors are stationary, the moving racks get pretty crazy.

If the motors move keeping things attached without further structure gets a bit interesting.

Either way having the system rotate like the LISA does would be difficult. Once you drop rotation at the arms it's not really a LISA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 07:29AM by uncle_bob.
February 02, 2014 10:47PM
uncle_bob
Do the motors move or are they stationary? [/quote/

Motors are stationary.

If the motors are stationary, the moving racks get pretty crazy.

Yeah, I've been thinking about it. In order to get a decent Z, you would need 2xZ room for the racks protruding through the top.

Either way having the system rotate like the LISA does would be difficult. Once you drop rotation at the arms it's not really a LISA.

There's nothing to stop the arms from rotating, the rack-arm interface will be a bit tricky. Note, I'm only a novice when it comes to designing mechanical systems.
February 03, 2014 07:48AM
If the racks move and are as short as you describe, then they would need to be much more rigid than the lead screws. The screws are terminated at both ends to keep everything lined up. With your proposed design, one end of the rack is "floating". To retain the captivated ends, the racks would need to extend 1X past both ends of the printer.

What is the advantage of the racks over the lead screws?
February 03, 2014 04:28PM
uncle_bob

I was thinking about the issue of not using the whole length of the lead screw for the Z height. The suggestion to use rack and pinion was just a "throw it out there" comment. It seems to have more problems than it solves.
February 03, 2014 04:38PM
There are only a couple of unused inches at the bottom of the screws that I am going to reclaim on the next design.

I actually like the rack idea. It would be super fun to watch if you had swiveling racks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2014 04:42PM by nicholas.seward.

ConceptFORGE
Wally, GUS Simpson, LISA Simpson, THOR Simpson, Sextupteron, CoreXZ
February 03, 2014 09:43PM
SheldonE
uncle_bob

I was thinking about the issue of not using the whole length of the lead screw for the Z height. The suggestion to use rack and pinion was just a "throw it out there" comment. It seems to have more problems than it solves.

I don't know that it creates more issues, it simply has some follow on impact on the design. If you change things enough you don't have a Lisa anymore. It turns into a design from scratch sort of thing.
February 04, 2014 10:20PM
Some modeling based on the drawing at Lisa variant concept by A2
kinematic model

I observed a sizable volume at the top that is never intruded by the arms or head. Might be a good spot to install build filament handling.

Arm length in the animated model gives a large horizontal build span, bug enough to not fit out if a single object filled it. The largest cylinder that fits the build volume will fit out between the lead screws as modeled, without much room to spare.
February 05, 2014 06:24PM
If you look at some of my shaft placement sketches, they do result in a full use of the rods and a part that can be lifted out of the printer.

If you drop the arm junctions on center, the hot end and mount structure comes up further into the "empty space" at the top. That's not to say you *should* do that. Put another way, having the arm pivot points almost hit the build plate uses up more of the space above the pivots.
February 06, 2014 09:58PM
Any comments on this fork design?

If you look at the second photo

you can see my particular design with the corner structure causes interference with the current configuration. Correct me if I'm wrong ,but this shouldn't change any of the geometry using the fork design.
A2
February 07, 2014 05:20AM
Dannydefe
Correct me if I'm wrong ,but this shouldn't change any of the geometry using the fork design.

Double shear joint reduces error:
There is the potential to print a more accurate part, and reduce the error with Lisa if you use an inline double shear arms (i.e. eliminate offset-shoulder),
I believe it will save you 12,000 CPU cycles, (4000 cycle hit per motor x 3 motors = 12,000 CPU cycles).

Pickle fork saves CPU cycles:
Using a pickle fork to constrain the nut from rotating eliminates the g-code preprocessor, and I think will speed things up as well.

To prevent the nut from rotating, substitute a rigid metal column for the PVC column.
Fabricate a bracket to carry 2 bearings to ride up and down the metal column.

uncle_bob
“Since the main impact is from the tan function,”

Hazer
“For LISA, the shoulders and the hub offset stays in line with the arm in the X-Y coordinates.
They can no longer be ignored like the Rostock does. By throwing them back into the equations,
you would need to perform two more squares and one more square-root per motor.

With the threaded rod offset, you would also need to add one SIN/COS equation to compensate the movement of the thread.
That unfortunately is a
4000 cycle hit per motor.

So, Marlin Rostock would be 3120 processor cycles per move at 16MHz would take 195 usec.
Adding LISA calculations to firmware would change to 18480 cycles, or 1.1 milliseconds.
I have no idea what impact that could have.”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2014 05:22AM by A2.
Attachments:
open | download - ScreenHunter_403 Feb. 07 05.02.jpg (34.6 KB)
February 07, 2014 09:20AM
@Dannydefe: There is no math change.

@A2: There is no math change. :-) Remember the shoulder offset is the perpendicular distance from the screw to the arm/shoulder bolt. (For a visual, with my design what would change if you mounted an arm on each side of the shoulder.)

The pickle fork would require a whole slew of cascading changes that would result in a design dissimilar to LISA. There is nothing wrong with that but unless I missed something the complexity surpasses a Rostock. At that point I would suggest a Rostock with some LISA arms attached.

ConceptFORGE
A2
February 07, 2014 09:54AM
The advantage of Lisa over Rostock is that you can carry a lot more weight on the end effector.
You could mount a MIG welder on the hub of (big) Lisa, you wouldn't recommend to do that with a Rostock.
No other delta comes close, correct me if I'm wrong.
So I wouldn't say that a Rostock is an option in this case.

If you added the pickle fork, you could eliminate the g-code preprocessor script correct?

tks for the clarification.
February 07, 2014 11:46AM
All my joints have been one-sided to allow poorly tuned printers to work for as many parts as possible. It also reduces assembly time.

Fork joints are superior. (Assuming that the fins of the forks are thick enough.) I have been considering going that direction. It has a nice side benefit of making the longest part only 125mm (from the model below) for a printer that has a 225mm print diameter. That means you can make a 1.8X LISA on a forked LISA. (If optimization of the macrocreation factor is desired you can even do better than that. I came up with 2.2X with just a little playing around.)

Here is how I would do it. I only uses 1 more unique plastic part than my previous design. You do need 12 M3x35 SHCS and matching nuts. That seems like a small price.

I am also considering doing this for GUS so that the motor/slave arms will be printable on a 150x100 printer.

ConceptFORGE
February 07, 2014 12:03PM
@A2: LISA is not as stable as she looks. The big members might make someone think that she is very rigid but with the screw flex and the torsional twisting of the members it is just good enough for 3D printing. (3D printing let's you get away with a lot thanks to the low forces.) The second problem is LISA needs the concentric hub. (This makes it hard to mount a router.) If I was to build a delta style milling machine it would probably look like a Rostock. Instead of 6 rods, I would do 3 screws and 3 rods. I would probably stick with 6 arms like a Rostock. I would use 608's in the ujoints.

ConceptFORGE
A2
February 07, 2014 06:42PM
nicholas.seward
Fork joints are superior. (Assuming that the fins of the forks are thick enough.) I have been considering going that direction. It has a nice side benefit of making the longest part only 125mm (from the model below) for a printer that has a 225mm print diameter. That means you can make a 1.8X LISA on a forked LISA. (If optimization of the macrocreation factor is desired you can even do better than that. I came up with 2.2X with just a little playing around.)

Pretty cool you can shorten the main part of the arm, that allows the smaller printers to replicate a bigger printer, i.e. Lisa.
And by increasing the length of the double shear joint, you can further increase the overall length thumbs up
February 09, 2014 01:16PM
If each of the shoulder joints connected to a motor and propeller, you would have a flying printer with motion controlled by the relative RPMs of each motor? smiling smiley
February 11, 2014 03:38PM
Hi

Off topic
and it can make better coffee than the navy.

On topic.
The propellers are for cooling not flying, but it's a nice idea.

Magicworx in clown mode
February 11, 2014 08:30PM
Hi

A straight arm joint does not allow the arm to "sneak around" the support pipe quite as well. Time to do some more modeling....

Bob
February 11, 2014 08:50PM
What do you mean "sneak"? My current LISA2 design will have to change minutely.

ConceptFORGE
February 13, 2014 05:01PM
Hi

The arm being offset from the drive screw gives me about an inch or so of clearance around the support pipe that's not there with a centered arm. Put another way - the arm moves over towards the pipe by the width of the arm when you center it. The arm hitting the pipe when you are at max rotation is one of the constraints on how close in you can push the support pipe. Depending on a whole bunch of other choices it may or may not be the overriding issue on pipe placement. I know that it wasn't a problem with the old arm joint. It might be now ....

Bob
February 13, 2014 05:50PM
That is what I thought. I will end up with the same footprint but the columns will have to move a bit farther from the screw. No problem for me. In theory it should also not be a problem for you. In fact it might marginally help you get through the door if take the imaginary triangle made from the column locations and rotate it away from the screws.

ConceptFORGE
February 13, 2014 06:27PM
Hi

As I rotate the "column triangle" relative to the "screw triangle" (yes I have an angle specified in the model for each relative to the base) I eventually hit the point where getting the printed part out of the beast is a bit difficult. I'm well away from there right now. I'm also *guessing* that having the pipes and shafts close to each other is a good thing in terms of keeping it all rigid (less plywood to flex between them). .

-------------------

I also "discovered" these frame level gizmos:

[www.shars.com]

which should make setting the system up a bit easier.

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2014 06:31PM by uncle_bob.
February 13, 2014 06:32PM
@uncle_bob: I agree. You want to minimize the distance from the column to the screw while ensuring you will have no collisions between the arm and the column. For my baby design the change was almost not worth mentioning.

Also, there is nothing "wrong" with the single sided joints. Depending on the implementation it could be more or less rigid when compared to a fork joint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2014 06:37PM by nicholas.seward.

ConceptFORGE
February 13, 2014 07:05PM
For me, one of the most attractive parts of this design is the single solid piece. The more pieces, the more complications, the more slop ends up being in the final design.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
February 13, 2014 07:29PM
Hi

At this point I"m not even sure that a change in the arm joint *would* impact my layout. The one thing I want to make very sure of is that a change would not mean moving the pipes. Switching from one joint to the other is pretty cheap / simple. Chopping all new plywood - not quite so easy.

Bob
February 18, 2014 09:15PM
Here is something I've been playing around with. The forked arms are contained with MR6702-ZZ (15 x 21 x 4 mm) Ball Bearing which will mate with a solid aluminum plug on either the shoulder or the hub fixtures. I'm still playing around with the configuration for the aluminum plug, I'm not sure if the first photo with shoulders step for the Bearings race might perform better than just straight aluminum plug which is press-fit into the shoulder. My goal is reduced weight, zero play and to reduce the width of the shoulder joint so that it doesn't interfere with my carbon corner supports.

aluminum plug
New fork arm
February 18, 2014 09:42PM
That looks amazing!

How do you insure no play when you don't have any fasteners?

Do the cut outs actually save weight? They make it look cooler for sure.

Do you have to print with support?

What is the weight of the aluminum plug vs a steel M8? I have considered using aluminum or plastic bolts. In many cases the M8s and 608s out weigh the plastic.

Instead of the 6702s and the aluminum plug we could go with 608s and M3s to hold it together. Both would be about the same weight, and same slimness.

ConceptFORGE
A2
February 18, 2014 11:27PM
Nice arms!

Dannydefe
I'm not sure if the first photo with shoulders step for the Bearings race might perform better than just straight aluminum plug which is press-fit into the shoulder.

I don't understand this sentence.

Dannydefe
My goal is reduced weight, zero play and to reduce the width of the shoulder joint so that it doesn't interfere with my carbon corner supports.

I do understand goals.

The shaft should be a press fit into the bearings, and into the shoulder, that should retain it.
To save weight use aluminum tubing for the shaft, or drill out the shaft.
I'm not sure what your shoulder joint looks like.

If for what ever reason you are concerned with the shaft working it's way out of the shoulder joint, pin it.
Or flange/flair the ends of the tube with a pipe flanging tool, you'll want to locate the bearing pocket facing outwards,
right now you have them facing inwards.

You could trade the ball bearings for thin wall bushings to reduce the weight.

To resize tubing swage the I.D. with an appropriate sized ball bearing use lubricant, kerosene.

If the bearings are loose, glue them, or heat stake them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login