Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Building a Delta

Posted by BlaiddDrwg 
Building a Delta
February 14, 2014 09:23AM
Hi all! A few weeks ago I finished building my first 3d printer, Makerfarm's Prusa i3 kit. I'm very interested in building a Delta (my goal is to understand the ins-and-outs as best I can so that I can present both printer types to one of my classes and then have them build one). I'm leaning towards building RichRap's 3DR, but I wanted to see if there was a specific one people like best/find to be more straight forward for a first (delta) build?

Thanks!
Natasha
A2
Re: Building a Delta
February 14, 2014 09:55AM
BlaiddDrwg
to be more straight forward for a first (delta) build

I think that the worm drive delta would be the best choice in a classroom for the following reasons:
Easiest to assemble.
Fastest to build.
Few components.
Mechanics are simple to envision.
Replicates its self.

I don't know when kit's will be ready, hopefully soon.

Worm Drive Grounded Delta Printer
[forums.reprap.org]
February 14, 2014 12:17PM
Personally I'd say go with something that has decent support and instructions. Look through the list of popular models on the wiki. A good place to ask delta specific questions is on the Google Group for it here: [groups.google.com]

On the Google Group I see a lot of talk about the Kossel Mini. Not something I'd personally go with but seems to be reasonably popular. A slightly easier to build (and source for) is the 3DR however I believe it has a slightly smaller build volume (although its likely very easy to scale the height, not so much the width though).

Or you could go all out and build your own from scratch. After building my i3 I chose to do that. It's challenging but highly educational smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2014 12:17PM by RickM.
February 14, 2014 12:25PM
The GDR or Worm Drive Grounded Delta is simple but it hasn't been published yet. Time will tell how easy it is for others to build. Also being a grounded delta you would be in virgin territory on top of it being a new design.

ConceptFORGE
Wally, GUS Simpson, LISA Simpson, THOR Simpson, Sextupteron, CoreXZ
February 14, 2014 12:28PM
@RickM, I'll check out the Google group. Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login