Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Round Heatbed D=400mm for Rostock, Kossel Delta

Posted by angelo 
Round Heatbed D=400mm for Rostock, Kossel Delta
February 17, 2014 03:26AM
Hi,
for your Information.
I let develop and produce a round Heatbed for my new redesigned Delta (DeltaMax -> Buildarea D=400mm x/y and Z=850mm)
Technical layout is finished now, PiBot designing it now nicer and staible. This is the Plan :-).
Powered by PIBot. Hope it is work:

Mein Club: [hackerspace-ffm.de]
RADDS-Shield -> Commercial [max3dshop.org]
Re: Round Heatbed D=400mm for Rostock, Kossel Delta
February 17, 2014 11:50AM
Is this going to be a PCB board or one of the higher powered rubber or kapton based ones?

I've been searching for ideas for a 250mm diamiter one for my delta. I looked at custom PCB costs and circular PCB's cost an absolute fortune (for a 250mm one it was around £60 for a very basic board). You've then also got the issue that something that size will take litterally hours to heat up if its only running at 12 or 24v via RAMPs for example. The kapton and rubber ones seem to be a lot cheaper. They run on mains voltage, which you can have ramps control via a relay.
February 17, 2014 07:11PM
Rick,
Here is an idea for you. At Lowes they have some relatively low density cement board called Hardie Board that is quite cheap and used as a backer for ceramic tile. Get a piece of that and some nichrome ribbon. Drill a pattern of holes that allows you to run the wire from one side to the other, down through a hole to the back side and back up to the top for the next row. You could use a dremel to slot between holes on the back slightly so the wire doesn't stick out. You'll need to calculate the resistance of the wire needed at the voltage you want to use and then layout the pattern so that is how much wire is used. You then set your glass plate on top. If you want more uniform heat you may want an aluminum heat spreader over some thin insulation paper, then the glass.
February 17, 2014 07:23PM
What is the power draw on that behemoth? Can existing controller boards like RAMPS drive it without a relay and wiring it to wall (mains) power?

I'm not sure why the BerryBot designer chose to use nichrome wire heating elements on his big delta printer heated bed, but suspect that there was a reason:

Of course, my heated bed is powered by Sterno right now, smiling smiley so I'm not an expert in these things.....
February 18, 2014 03:04AM
Hi RickM, Hi garyhlucas , Hi vreihen,

thank you for your comments. I think it can be work for 12 Volt.
It is logical, that I have to wait a little bit more longer to get the Temperature.
Mainly I print PLA and if I try to Print ABS I think i have to wait.
For large objects PLA is better to print (temperature slim factor, I dont have the right word in my mind for this).
Sure you can design a Heatbed, who run on mains voltage (110/220 Volt).
There are a lot of solution, but I will Try it with the PiBot guys.
If they say me it can be work I think I have to try it :-) .
[reprap.org]

February 18, 2014 12:20PM
Good luck with the heatbed - be sure to let us know how it goes, and if possible provide any info on a wiki page smiling smiley

Also not sure if you'd seen this one or not but this is the SeeMeCNC Onyx heatbed. It's got a 280mm diameter heated area: [seemecnc.com]

It runs on 12 or 24v so you'll probably be fine. It's expensive as hell but it's due to the size of the PCB they have to use.

One thing you can do to help the heatup time is insulate the bottom of it. Cork is supposed to be very good, if you can create an area under it with no air it'll work great. Just dont glue it to your glass - big mistake! tongue sticking out smiley

For mine I think I'm probably going to try one of the rubber/silicon ones with a relay. Not sure I'm comfortable trying to pull that much current through RAMPS as it's way over it's recommended limitations from what I've read.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2014 12:25PM by RickM.
February 19, 2014 10:36AM
Hi RickM,
I use RADDS, 15A is not the Problem.
Thank you for your informations.
A build Area from the Diameter of 500mm is also possible, but I think it is not realizible to print it (warp etc.).
This is the Plan for my Delta (600x600x1400 mm):

January 02, 2015 08:14AM
hello, Angelo, I'm from Brazil and I also understand / building my Delta 400mm in diameter !! On the hot Base Printer you would have a step as the step you are doing !!! How to put a proper design on the basis of 400mm and what technique for temperature control you are using!

Sorry for the English, I'm using google translator!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login