Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

suggestions for strong joints/universal linkages for delta cnc

Posted by orangezero 
suggestions for strong joints/universal linkages for delta cnc
February 23, 2014 10:14AM
I'm still fumbling with my design for a CNC delta machine. I plan to keep it very small, with a 90mm x 90mm x 50mm cutting area. I may try threaded rod with an adjacent linear smooth rod for each tower.

I'm having difficulty finding any inexpensive joints. Nice metal one can be $20 a piece. I assume a cutter would simply be too much for magnets and balls.

Another thought I had was to fix the cutter at the top of the machine, and use a design similar to the quantum Delta (basically the bed moves and the head is in one place).

I love all the other designs, but I seem to have gathered a screw driven delta would have the best chance at rigidity.
Re: suggestions for strong joints/universal linkages for delta cnc
February 23, 2014 01:23PM
What advantage does a delta have in a CNC application?

Also, there is a thread in the extruded aluminum forum that has a reddit link with a code for $150 in free parts from Misumi (us and Canada only). You just gotta pay shipping.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
Re: suggestions for strong joints/universal linkages for delta cnc
February 23, 2014 02:13PM
That point is always brought up. A delta CNC is done typically for uniqueness more than anything. There r some advantages in averaging error w three towera instead of adding it up as one does in a traditional cartesion design. I'm sure someone has a better worded explanation. Another benefit would be the simplicity in the duplication of parts.

I should have clarified. Mine is only going to be cutting acrylic.

Also, deltas are a bit more mesmorizing to watch. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login