Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kossel Mini on Printrboard

Posted by Localvsc 
Kossel Mini on Printrboard
April 06, 2014 03:18PM
I am in the middle of building a kossel mini and I have run into a small problem. I am using a printrboard that I took from my Prusa Mendel until I buy a new controller for the new kossel. I have the x, y and z motors as well as the x, y and z endstops hooked up. Those are all working properly, but when I connect the microswitch for the probe, I run into problems. I can't get it to recognize the switch and nothing happens when I press it.

I'm assuming it is a problem with the wiring. I have been following the guide from [www.builda3dprinter.eu] , but they use a Ramps board which makes the process slightly different when it comes to the endstops.

Does anyone know how the probe endstop is supposed to be connected on a printrboard?

Thanks for the help,
-Localvsc
Re: Kossel Mini on Printrboard
April 07, 2014 12:45AM
There is a section on endstops here: [reprap.org]

Does that help?
April 07, 2014 06:45AM
Sort of....

The builda3dprinter guide said to connect the wires to the COM and NC which is where I have them. The wiki page helped reinforce that.

I guess I'll just have to do some more trial and error to see if I can get it work.

The weird thing is that when I connect it in some configurations, the printrboard disconnects from my computer (as if it shuts off). Probably has something to do with the 5V connection....

Thanks,
Localvsc
April 08, 2014 08:04AM
Um, the schematic you were using has the endstops wired to the RAMPS max endstop headers, and the probe to the Z min endstop header. The printrboard does not have both max and min endstop headers. You have to define the pins as one or the other. So where did you wire the probe to on the printrboard? You could use the unused E endstop header and define that as the min Z endstop in the pins.h file. Or you could use the expansion header pins to do the same thing, although the E endstop is more convenient.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
April 11, 2014 10:52AM
Some of us have had problems with the conflict between the Y endstop and using the SD card. The fix is to move the connector Y endstop to the E endstop and change pin for Y_stop to 37 ( from 20). If that was done, and I did, could you describe how to use the expansion header pin as the Zmin? What I want to do is install FSRs per Johann's auto leveling and use the Z_min like he has in his current version of Marlin on github. But I have a Printrboard not the ramps like he assumes.
April 13, 2014 04:20PM
All I had tried was a bunch of different configurations on the E endstop location. So you think I could just go into pins.h and set the E endstop pins as the Z min? Ill have to try that. Ill try that right now...

Thanks!
April 13, 2014 05:21PM
Well, I still can't get it to work.

I found this section in pins.h

#else // Printrboard
#define X_STOP_PIN 35
#define Y_STOP_PIN 8
#define Z_MAX_PIN 36
#define Z_MIN_PIN 37 // Use E-STOP for autolevel Z probe
#define TEMP_0_PIN 1 // Extruder / Analog pin numbering
#define TEMP_BED_PIN 0 // Bed / Analog pin numbering
#endif

Do I need to change the min pin from 37 to something? Im not sure what to change it to.
April 16, 2014 04:33PM
If you are changing configurations, then you are flash your firmware many times?
That would be frustrating to do all that over and over and not get it working.
My problem is that the USB driver on the Printrboard is not working anymore and I can see the AMtel board connect but it will not configure on my MAC as a USB serial port.
I have one Printrboard that works but the second one worked, then intermittent not working, now has finally stopped.
Cables OK, board works, but my MAC and the board will not communicate.
April 17, 2014 08:10AM
I have just got a rev B printrboard going with my Mini Kossel with working Z probe and all endstops.
I have the Z probe connected to the two outer pins of the e-stop connector and have the switch wired with NC and Common (the two outside terminals).
The tower X Y Z endstops are all wired to NO and common (the middle terminal and the one nearest the lever hinge) and are also wired to the two outer pins of their respective connectors.
In configuration.h in Marlin I had to set all the endstop inverting flags to true:
Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; and so on.

Also I set MOTHERBOARD to 81

No other changes were made to the copy of marlin I downloaded from here:

[www.builda3dprinter.eu]

Though I think I need to tweak some of the phsyical size constants in there to get proper calibrated motion... but that's for another thread.

Cheers,
Robin.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 12:33PM by Zedsquared.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login