Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cherry Pi III Is Available

Posted by AndyCart 
Re: Cherry Pi III Is Available
September 16, 2014 09:01AM
Hi Andrew

Glad it arrived safe. Yes it is YELLOW isn't it. Unfortunately I'm always in the hands of the supplier and the images on their website. I've never had that colour before so it was a bit pot luck.

As for the 'feet' they are actually on the top side of the part and are just there to stop curl during the printing. Just cut them off with a sharp knife.

Good luck with the build. Can't wait for the obligatory 'first print' video lol

Andy
September 16, 2014 07:28PM
Why doesn't that pile of parts look like a printer yet????? winking smiley
September 16, 2014 08:04PM
Hah, don't worry Andy, my 3.5 year old LOVES the yellow! She's already requested that I print an aeroplane, a monkey, a kookaburra and a whale for her. Sure, it's probably not the yellow I would have chosen, but it's still cool. I'm happy.

Figured the "feet" were removable too after looking at your Thingiverse pics and noticing a distinct lack of them in the finished printers. I think your BOM is only missing that a few self-tapping screws are required in a couple of places, unless I'm mistaken? No idea how many but on the carriages (not sure if that's their real name?) there's a few at least.

Don't worry vreihen, they won't be a pile for long! Just need to find a job first (lol, was made redundant on the Friday of the week I ordered my parts! Terrible timing!) but once the electronics get here, everything will go together quickly. The translated tracking on my electronics says "airlines" so they can't be too far off now that they're out of China.
September 17, 2014 06:14PM
Haha, was just test fitting some then, and it appears the T Nuts are slightly too big for the V Slot! Nooooo haha. *reaches for the sandpaper*
September 18, 2014 12:43AM
That's very possible. They were designed for the Bosch/Rexroth compatible extrusion that I use from KJN in the UK.

September 18, 2014 03:15PM
Could someone run through the settings for cura so I can get my cherry pi lll to print.What printer do I pick on the wizard etc.I have done it once already and the current print job will goto about 50% then the filament feeder starts going backwards then forwards and messes the print up.
ALso now anything I put into cura then transfer to sd makes the printer goto back right corner and motor keeps spinning so I have to power down printer to stop it.Thanks
September 18, 2014 09:15PM
AndyCart
That's very possible. They were designed for the Bosch/Rexroth compatible extrusion that I use from KJN in the UK.

Fortunately it's only by a mm or two, so it doesn't take too much effort (although my opinion may change by the time I get through all 61 of them haha). Just something for people to be aware of if they're using OpenBuilds V slot!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2014 09:15PM by pugzor.
September 18, 2014 09:22PM
I used OpenBuild V-slot too, and for me it was more than a few mm. I was using 10-32 hardware, so that might affect things a bit. But I couldn't even fit the nut and washer in the slot, much less the plastic part too.
I wound up redesigning the t-nuts to fit some small-profile 10-32 nuts. Not the best design, but I superglued each one in and they are pretty sturdy.

Edit: Here's the nuts I designed. In case it proves helpful for anyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2014 10:44PM by maso.
September 19, 2014 01:04AM
maso
I used OpenBuild V-slot too, and for me it was more than a few mm. I was using 10-32 hardware, so that might affect things a bit. But I couldn't even fit the nut and washer in the slot, much less the plastic part too.
I wound up redesigning the t-nuts to fit some small-profile 10-32 nuts. Not the best design, but I superglued each one in and they are pretty sturdy.

Edit: Here's the nuts I designed. In case it proves helpful for anyone.

Hey maso... Did you also encounter the issue that OpenBuilds V Slot is not compatible with the carriage design? I'm finding that there's a fair bit of a gap between the mini V wheels and the extrusion. Along the lines of 3-4mm total (probably about 2mm each side?). Obviously this means there's a lot of play. sad smiley
September 19, 2014 01:20AM
I did find that I had to tighten those carriages down quite a bit. Come to think of it, I had to shave some plastic out of the slot in one of them so that I could get it tight enough.

But it really wasn't too bad. And the printer is working swell now. Maybe one of us should try to make a carriage that has the wheels closer together sometime.
September 19, 2014 02:28AM
maso
I did find that I had to tighten those carriages down quite a bit. Come to think of it, I had to shave some plastic out of the slot in one of them so that I could get it tight enough.

But it really wasn't too bad. And the printer is working swell now. Maybe one of us should try to make a carriage that has the wheels closer together sometime.

Honestly, mine are far enough apart that I will have to design another wheel section of the carriage. I've just dry attached the wheels and it's enough that if I put the two wheels on the same side into the V slot, the bottom of the wheel on the other side is flush with the outer surface of the extrusion. sad smiley Hmm, now I need to find a local printer who'll produce it for me.
September 19, 2014 07:05PM
pugzor
Hey maso... Did you also encounter the issue that OpenBuilds V Slot is not compatible with the carriage design? I'm finding that there's a fair bit of a gap between the mini V wheels and the extrusion. Along the lines of 3-4mm total (probably about 2mm each side?). Obviously this means there's a lot of play. sad smiley

I noticed the same thing on the set that I printed. Too loose on V-slot, and too tight on Misumi 2020 T-slot. If you are making a true V-slot carriage, please share the files because I for one need them.....
September 20, 2014 04:45AM
Hi Guys

I managed to get hold of a piece of V slot to compare it to the extrusion that I use, Bosch/Rexroth from KJN in the UK

You can clearly see the difference in the 'V' between the two types, hence the poor fit on V slot with it's much deeper V.

I've modified the carriage .stl and attached it above. You will also need to use the modified Rod Carrier, also attached.

Regards

Andy
Attachments:
open | download - Mini V Wheel Carriage V Slot.stl (66.3 KB)
open | download - Mini V Wheel Rod Carrier Non Magnetic x 3 (33% 0.3 2P 3T 3B PLA).stl (166.7 KB)
September 20, 2014 09:06AM
Wow, thanks Andy! Without looking at the STLs, what was the modification? How much closer to each other did the wheels move? My guess would have been 3-4mm...
September 20, 2014 11:44AM
For completeness of the discussion, Misumi 2020 has totally square-cut slots. The Mini-V wheels *barely* have any contact with the inside of the slot, and require a larger mounting plate (or a shim to pry the Bosch/Rexroth sized carriage open wider). Although they have not de-railed *yet* on my printer, I would say that the use of Misumi 2020 with the Mini-V wheels should be strongly discouraged.....
September 20, 2014 06:00PM
pugzor
Wow, thanks Andy! Without looking at the STLs, what was the modification? How much closer to each other did the wheels move? My guess would have been 3-4mm...

You won't need the new rod carriers Andrew. Your set are the newer type. I altered them a while ago in order to allow more adjustment to the tensioning screw. Basically I moved the fixing points to the carriage around. I moved the V wheel mounting holes on the carriage 1mm towards the centre on either side. 2mm closer overall. This seems fine on the small piece of V slot I have.
September 20, 2014 07:57PM
Hmm. Even with the tensioning screw done up fully, there's still around 1-2mm of play between the V slot and one of the wheels (assuming the other wheels are fully in the V slot). That's for me anyway.
September 21, 2014 05:24AM
Hi Guys

I've attached my original Sketchup file for the V wheel carriage. Amend it to suit your needs.

Regards

Andy
Attachments:
open | download - Mini V Wheel Carriage V Slot.skp (91.7 KB)
September 21, 2014 09:43PM
Hey Andy, pretty confident the carriages you sent me were the old design; it'd definitely explain the poor fit for me! I also compared to the sketchup you just posted.

In the file, A is ~5.2mm but the piece I've got is ~4.0mm. In the file, B is ~2.4mm but the piece I've got is ~3.3mm.

That's all the issue is, I think!
September 22, 2014 02:52AM
Hi Guys

For clarity the current production version of the Mini V Wheel Carriage for use on KJN Bosch/Rexroth extrusion (as per the Cherry Pi III BOM) is this :-

The modified version that should be OK on V Slot is this :-

Regards

Andy
September 22, 2014 05:40PM
Stray from the BoM, pay the consequences! Haha. Lesson learnt. smiling smiley

Out of interest Andy, what settings do you use to generate your carriages? As in, what % fill etc so that you got a good amount of flex for adjustment?

Additional question edited in: Did anyone secure the micro switches in with a touch of CA? Yes, I'm clearly a novice at this, just want to stuff as little up as possible. Screwing things up is inevitable, minimizing the screw ups is a choice!

Also Andy, I know you've stressed that the arms need to be exactly the same length... but what's the tolerance you'd think is acceptable? I think I've got less than 1mm difference between the longest and shortest of my arms with the ball ends on... is that close enough? Or should I be shaving them until I can't distinguish a shortest and longest arm?

Another edit; now with pics of aforementioned arms!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 06:36PM by pugzor.
September 22, 2014 08:34PM
I use 0.3mm layer height and 33% in fill on virtually all my printed parts. The effector, which is the only ABS part, I print at 0.2mm layer height.

I use a drop of high viscosity CA to fix the limit switches. It's easy to pop them out if they ever fail but they are secure for normal use. Just don't use too much. I apply it with a wooden cocktail stick/tooth pick.

The rods need to be as close to equal as possible. Certainly within 0.1mm. A 1mm differential is probably too much.
September 22, 2014 08:37PM
Thanks for that! Looks like I've got a bit of adjusting to do then.
September 25, 2014 12:02AM
Andy,
Thanks for the updates to the carriages! I was looking at the V-Wheel carriage design, both the OpenBuild .stl and the original .skp file, and had a question.

I was wondering what you use to tighten the carriage down onto the v-slot?

The earlier design from Thingiverse has a place for a captive nut, but i just see a shallow slot in these new ones. Does that serve a purpose? Or are you just tapping the plastic and relying on the strength of the threads in the plastic there?
September 25, 2014 12:08AM
Hey maso, I found that the M3 30mm SHCS held fine and were great for the adjuster screws to clamp the wheels onto the V slot. Obviously I haven't been able to actually clamp onto the V slot yet but it seems great for tapping the thread by itself.
September 25, 2014 02:41AM
Hi Guys

I use an M3 25mm bolt to clamp the carriage. The hole is sized to ensure the M3 self taps. They hold great.

The slot is to accept the stainless steel wire that is used to anchor the spring and Spectra line to the rod carrier. It just enables the rod carrier to sit flush on the face of the carriage.

Andy
September 29, 2014 06:34PM
Woo hoo, I picked up my replacement carriages yesterday. That couple of mm makes soooo much difference; they fit perfect on the V slot. smiling bouncing smiley
October 03, 2014 01:35AM
@andy

I found this ball joint on the firedelta google group . I think it will be useful for the next iteration of cherry pi

google group

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2014 01:36AM by ekaggrat.
nka
October 03, 2014 08:57AM
IMO, the actual setup is better.

- Sebastien Plante (nka)
October 03, 2014 06:54PM
So I don't know if it's helpful for anyone else or not, but I modified the original V-Wheel carriages to fit OpenBuild extrusions.

I don't have time or resources at the moment to move to the string-and-spring approach, so these carriages have the hole pattern that fits the original magnetic design.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:487476

I installed them on my printer last night, and now that I don't have to crank the carriages down, everything is much more square!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login