Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cherry Pi III Is Available

Posted by AndyCart 
Re: Cherry Pi III Is Available
March 20, 2015 03:06PM
Hi David

It was designed for an E3D V5 and fits tight to the top heat sink fin. There's a decent picture of it somewhere further up the thread. Page 16

Andy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2015 03:09PM by AndyCart.
March 20, 2015 03:15PM
Any chance of getting hold of the source file so that I can change the spacing? Assuming that it wasn't created in anything too obscure!

If I can change it then I'll post the new file here, for other builders.
March 20, 2015 05:33PM
BTW: the E3D picture on page 16 looks just like a v6! grinning smiley
March 20, 2015 05:36PM
Its not my friend has a v6 and I have the v5 the fins are different and spacing.
March 20, 2015 05:43PM
There was a smiley there... winking smiley
March 20, 2015 05:44PM
Lol
March 20, 2015 07:45PM
It printssmiling smiley

I have only roughly calibrated it, but I couldn't wait any longer to try it out

[drive.google.com]

The AirTripper appears to be working greatsmiling smiley
March 20, 2015 08:43PM
The first print is a bit rough, I'll go back through the calibration and take a bit more time.

[drive.google.com]

smiling smiley
March 21, 2015 02:55AM
David J
Any chance of getting hold of the source file so that I can change the spacing? Assuming that it wasn't created in anything too obscure!

Hi David

PM me with your email address and I'll send you the Sketchup file.

Andy
March 21, 2015 03:19AM
gowen
I attempted calibration today, but got stumped almost straight away.

I worked out that I needed a baud rate of 115200 in Repetier-Host and I set a nominal circular build area of 200mm dia by 250mm high. Then to check my connection I used the manual controls to move the effector. When I tried to shift it horizontally, the Z carriage shot downwards, the Z effector strut went past horizontal and before I could pull the plug the struts started pinging off, much to the amusement of my colleagues.

Could someone tell me the Cherry Pi settings I need for Repetier host and possibly a short guide on running auto-calibration?

Hi Gary

The command to run auto calibration is G30 A but you need a connection to Z Min on RAMPS that changes state when the nozzle touches the bed. I have made up a long lead with croc clips on one end and the RAMPS end stop connector on the other. This fits temporarily whilst the machine is calibrating. It relies on you having a clean metal bed and a clean nozzle. Clip one lead to the hot end and one to the bed. Check it all out first with M119 and careful manipulation of the nozzle down to the bed.

My RH settings are as below (Printer Settings in RH)

March 21, 2015 09:04AM
Is anybody any good at designing a fan duct to blow all round heat to cool plastic,I have had a mess around with tinkercad and im struggling with it.I want it abit like this,Would be much appreciated if someone could design it.
[www.thingiverse.com]
March 21, 2015 10:39AM
mrorange26
Is anybody any good at designing a fan duct to blow all round heat to cool plastic,I have had a mess around with tinkercad and im struggling with it.I want it abit like this,Would be much appreciated if someone could design it.
[www.thingiverse.com]

Hi Spencer

Try this. Not what you linked to but this will replace the existing E3D puck and attach a 50mm centrifugal fan to it. You may need to obscure the top of the air outlet with tape so all the air blows below the effector. You could probably get away with PLA for this as it's well away from the hot bits

Andy
Attachments:
open | download - E3D Puck Mount with Fan.stl (473 KB)
March 21, 2015 10:47AM
Thanks andy will try that.
March 21, 2015 11:02AM
Andy could you edit so I can put 1 fan on each corner?
March 21, 2015 04:11PM
AndyCart
David J

Hi David

PM me with your email address and I'll send you the Sketchup file.

Andy

I've sent you a PM - I've also sent one to Pointy (a.k.a. Les) as on page 13 he stated that he'd already modified your effector for an E3Dv6, and I was wondering if he'd be prepared to release the STL files. After all, if he's already done the work...

Apart from that, my build is progressing well - top and bottom frames are mostly complete, and I'm just printing the last few plastic bits. I've got to go to B&Q to get some 6mm tubing, and then I've got to get some springs and Spectra line. After that, it's all down to wiring and final assembly...

Just a few points to query, to make sure I've got my facts right before I get my soldering iron out:

The limit switches on the verticals are wired as NC, I believe?
They will be connected to the 'max endstop' pins on the RAMPS board?
Which motor cable goes to which RAMPS connector?

Cheers,
David
March 21, 2015 05:25PM
Andy,

Got the file - my mail handler had stuffed it in the spam folder... hot smiley
March 21, 2015 06:41PM
Hi David

Yes the limit switches are wired NC. I.e the two outer pins. They are indeed connected to the max end stop connectors on RAMPS.

Looking from the front the left hand tower is X. The right hand tower is Y. The rear tower is Z

Andy
March 22, 2015 04:51AM
Excellent - today's task is soldering... winking smiley

Also, some blue painter's tape for the three uprights... that's how I labelled the extrusions on the lower frame, to make sure I put the t-nuts in the correct slots!

Cheers,
David
March 23, 2015 05:59AM
Andy,

Do you have details of the power connector you used? The only ones I can find on ebay (and other suppliers) are usually rated up to 3A, which is nothing compared to the 15A or 16A you can draw with a heated bed!

Otherwise, I'll do the same as I did on my Prusa i3 - I made a short flying lead and soldered an EC3 connector on it (if you haven't seen these, they're used in electric-powered radio-controlled models and have a continuous power rating of around 60A... they're small, easy to fit, and cheap).

Also - do you think these springs would be suitable for the arms? ebay springs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2015 06:12AM by David J.
March 23, 2015 10:27AM
AndyCart

Hi Gary

The command to run auto calibration is G30 A but you need a connection to Z Min on RAMPS that changes state when the nozzle touches the bed. I have made up a long lead with croc clips on one end and the RAMPS end stop connector on the other. This fits temporarily whilst the machine is calibrating. It relies on you having a clean metal bed and a clean nozzle. Clip one lead to the hot end and one to the bed. Check it all out first with M119 and careful manipulation of the nozzle down to the bed.

Hi Andy,

How long should auto-calibration take? I ran it through lunch today and it was still going after 51 iterations (about 45 minutes), before I stopped it.

Cheers, Gary.
March 23, 2015 11:45AM
Auto calibrations can sometimes take up to 90 iterations!
March 23, 2015 11:54AM
@ David J

I use these power sockets [www.ebay.co.uk] those springs look fine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2015 11:54AM by AndyCart.
March 23, 2015 12:09PM
AndyCart
@ David J

Does that work?! It only says that it's good for 3A. eye popping smiley
March 23, 2015 12:40PM
Progress so far (I've also made the LCD cover, but forgot to put it in the picture).

Apologies for the messy desk!

Oh... and before I start sawing the aluminium tube, can I confirm that the length should be 225mm? This was the original length for CP3, but I don't know if it got changed for CP3S.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2015 01:04PM by David J.
Attachments:
open | download - delta.JPG (168.9 KB)
March 23, 2015 02:32PM
Nice Lotus Seven sketch behind the printer.....
March 23, 2015 02:34PM
Not quite a Lotus 7... smiling smiley

Locost
March 23, 2015 02:53PM
David J
AndyCart
@ David J

Works for me smiling smiley and yes the delta rod tube is cut to 225mm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2015 02:54PM by AndyCart.
March 23, 2015 03:06PM
AndyCart
David J
AndyCart
@ David J

Works for me smiling smiley and yes the delta rod tube is cut to 225mm

Andy

He needs the connector to cope with a heated bed so I would so that those barrel connectors would melt if you did use them for both 5 and 11 amp ports on a Ramps.

Maybe Something like this with its matching panel mount socket would be better (Or a 4 pin variant of the same type.

These are/wherer quite common on CB radios/Ham Radios for both power (2 pin) or Microphone (4 Pin).

Doug
March 23, 2015 03:19PM
I've been using those connectors successfully with a circular MK3A heat bed that draws about 6A using a 12A PSU. Never had an issue and they don't even get warm.
March 23, 2015 03:24PM
Not to worry - I'll use the EC3 connector, as discussed earlier. It's not a great big issue, and should still look neat! smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login