Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cherry Pi III Is Available

Posted by AndyCart 
Re: Cherry Pi III Is Available
March 23, 2015 04:53PM
AndyCart
Auto calibrations can sometimes take up to 90 iterations!

That suggests to me that there is something seriously wrong with the auto-calibration algorithm. How many parameters is it adjusting?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 23, 2015 05:56PM
David J
Not quite a Lotus 7... smiling smiley

Locost

Even better! A racing friend of mine has a Caterham 7, which are not really common on this side of the pond. I've been building an open-wheel "special" race car for hillclimbs and driving skill events for about 10 years now, and might even have something to push out of the garage in a few more years at the [slow] pace I'm moving..... sad smiley
March 24, 2015 05:02AM
I've decided to experiment with the power input - I'm planning to use a 203W Xbox PSU to power the printer, so I've decided to take the obvious route and try to fit an Xbox power socket to match. This will have numerous advantages:

• I won't need to modify the PSU lead.
  • It's built to take all the power the PSU can offer.
  • I will probably be able to fit a switch to turn the PSU on and off remotely.
  • I have the choice of powering the Arduino directly with 5v, rather than use the linear voltage regulator built into the Arduino/RAMPS, thus reducing heat output.

Of course, this means that I will have to build a nice enclosure to house the socket and switch (an enjoyable task) and I may have to design a PCB to keep it tidy (should also be fun).

I have ordered the socket on ebay, so watch this space! smiling smiley
March 24, 2015 05:18AM
David J
I've decided to experiment with the power input - I'm planning to use a 203W Xbox PSU to power the printer, so I've decided to take the obvious route and try to fit an Xbox power socket to match. This will have numerous advantages:

• I won't need to modify the PSU lead.
  • It's built to take all the power the PSU can offer.
  • I will probably be able to fit a switch to turn the PSU on and off remotely.
  • I have the choice of powering the Arduino directly with 5v, rather than use the linear voltage regulator built into the Arduino/RAMPS, thus reducing heat output.

Of course, this means that I will have to build a nice enclosure to house the socket and switch (an enjoyable task) and I may have to design a PCB to keep it tidy (should also be fun).

I have ordered the socket on ebay, so watch this space! smiling smiley

Make sure you order the right socket. I had the same idea, but the power socket I ordered was for an Xbox 360 Slim and the PSU I had was for an Xbox ONE. The socket looks the same but the sizes are ever so slightly different. Just enough to mean I couldn't use it.
March 24, 2015 08:00AM
Fair point - but I *think* I've got it right!
March 24, 2015 10:25AM
There is a facility in the Marlin firmware to allow control of an Xbox PSU from the LCD menu on the printer. If you are using the correct socket you could easily implement it on your machine.
March 24, 2015 12:09PM
Now that's a thought... but how would you turn it on, if the Arduino hasn't got any power?

...one of life's conundrums! smiling smiley
March 24, 2015 12:13PM
David J
Now that's a thought... but how would you turn it on, if the Arduino hasn't got any power?

Ah but if you have a PC connected by USB then the Arduino does have power doesn't it?

Doug
March 24, 2015 12:37PM
Andy,

Back on page 2 you uploaded a configuration.h file - would that still be a good starting point for me, or have things changed?
March 24, 2015 12:37PM
dougal1957
David J

Ah but if you have a PC connected by USB then the Arduino does have power doesn't it?

Doug

Ah... sneaky! smiling smiley
March 24, 2015 04:06PM
David J
Andy,

Back on page 2 you uploaded a configuration.h file - would that still be a good starting point for me, or have things changed?

This is the latest one from Rich Cattell's new Marlin version [groups.google.com]

You will need to download the full version from Rich's Github
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (26.3 KB)
March 24, 2015 04:22PM
Andy,

Much appreciated.

David
March 24, 2015 06:16PM
AndyCart
Auto calibrations can sometimes take up to 90 iterations!

Well today the auto-calibration went on for 175 iterations. I stopped it after hearing a loud tap, tap, tap as the head moved from one column to the next, as if the nozzel was leap-frogging across the bed. There is no clue in the log. Any ideas?

Tomorrow, I'll attempt a manual calibration after checking the bed is flat.

One question. Do you grease the ball and sockets?
March 24, 2015 06:59PM
Which version of the auto calibration firmware are you running? My new builds normally converge around 20-30 iterations. Yes, you do need to apply silicone grease to the sockets. Just a small amount in each one before you pop the rods back will be fine
March 24, 2015 07:02PM
I'm using the version that came supplied on the SD card with the kit. I can't tell you the exact version at the moment.
March 24, 2015 11:42PM
I've updated Maso/Andy's merged effector even further, having issues getting my E3D v6 to mount with clearance for any stock fan. it's a tight fit, but it now works.

it's a tight fit, and uses 3 x 20mm m3, I also use 3 x m3 locknuts on the bottom.

Remainder of files can be found here

I'm sure there are others out there looking for a 10mm ball bearing E3D V6 solution. Hopefully this helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2015 12:24AM by Zzyzxx71.
March 25, 2015 02:49AM
gowen
I'm using the version that came supplied on the SD card with the kit. I can't tell you the exact version at the moment.

It may be worthwhile downloading the latest version from Rich Cattell's Githib, link above. He has done lots of work on it very recently. To be honest if you carry out a manual calibration following my guide you won't go far wrong and you can probably complete that in less time than it would take the auto calibration routine to run. Once it's done it rarely needs changing.
March 25, 2015 12:23PM
AndyCart
It may be worthwhile downloading the latest version from Rich Cattell's Githib, link above.

I've rebuilt Marlin from using the latest code from Rich Cattell's Github and your configuration.h. The first build failed, because the new code has some extra defines in configuration.h.

They are:
//Diagonal Rod Adjustment - Adj diag rod for Tower by x mm from DEFAULT_DELTA_DIAGONAL_ROD value
#define TOWER_A_DIAGROD_ADJ 0 //Front Left Tower
#define TOWER_B_DIAGROD_ADJ 0 //Front Right Tower
#define TOWER_C_DIAGROD_ADJ 0 //Rear Tower

// Z-Probe variables
And appear after the Tower Radius Adjustment values and just before the Z-probe variables. With this added it compiled and installed fine although I did get these messages.
Sketch uses 121,982 bytes (48%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253,952 bytes.
Global variables use 6,386 bytes (77%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1,806 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8,192 bytes.
Low memory available, stability problems may occur.
It seemed to work OK though.

I stopped the auto-calibrate after 41 cycles, as I needed to get back to work. I'm going to check through my build tomorrow to ensure everything is square with similar lengths.

My filament seems to be lost in transit having not appeared after two weeks. I've just ordered some more which should be here Friday. I just need to order some kapton tape to be ready to print (once calibrated).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2015 12:34PM by gowen.
March 26, 2015 01:13AM
Any chance someone could post up their firmware folder for a working Pi III? I have the bed/hot end and display working, Extruder is working correctly, but up/down/left/right isn't working and I can't seem to find a resource for getting that setup anywhere.

edit: I don't have autocalibration setup, was planning on manual calibration.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2015 01:35AM by Zzyzxx71.
March 26, 2015 04:16AM
Zzyzxx71
Any chance someone could post up their firmware folder for a working Pi III? I have the bed/hot end and display working, Extruder is working correctly, but up/down/left/right isn't working and I can't seem to find a resource for getting that setup anywhere.

edit: I don't have autocalibration setup, was planning on manual calibration.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Link to my production firmware on Google Drive [drive.google.com] this is the version I keep updated to ship out with new machines and kits

If you use NC limit switches and Wantai steppers it should work 'out of the box' the steppers are wired red, blue, green, black with the red lead towards the RAMPS power connector. This should give correct direction of motion on all four stepper motors. Make sure 1/16 micro stepping is enabled (all three jumpers on under the A4988 driver boards). The firmware is set for 80 steps/mm i.e GT2 belts with 20 tooth pulleys.

Andy

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2015 08:50AM by AndyCart.
March 26, 2015 06:02AM
AndyCart
If you use NO limit switches ...

I thought the limit switches were NC?
March 26, 2015 08:43AM
A question about heat - relates to delta printers in general, not just the Cherry Pi.

Most deltas tuck all the motors and electronics within the base, thus restricting the air flow quite a lot. Then people go and put a heated bed on top (some of which are quite powerful) which must radiate some heat downwards.

As I intend to have some form of heated bed on my printer, should I be thinking about putting a fan in there somewhere, to help keep the RAMPS & Arduino boards cool?

cheers,
David
March 26, 2015 08:49AM
David J
AndyCart
If you use NO limit switches ...

I thought the limit switches were NC?

That's what I meant spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I've edited the original post!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2015 08:50AM by AndyCart.
March 26, 2015 08:57AM
David J
A question about heat - relates to delta printers in general, not just the Cherry Pi.

Most deltas tuck all the motors and electronics within the base, thus restricting the air flow quite a lot. Then people go and put a heated bed on top (some of which are quite powerful) which must radiate some heat downwards.

As I intend to have some form of heated bed on my printer, should I be thinking about putting a fan in there somewhere, to help keep the RAMPS & Arduino boards cool?

cheers,
David

I've never needed a fan under the bed but I always use fairly low wattage heated beds. I have also stuck a piece of 3mm cork to the underside of the bed on some machines to insulate it a little. There is very little power required to move the carriages on a CP. The effector is very light and the carriages run very smoothly. My steppers usually draw about 0.75A. The things that get hot are the MOSFETs for the nozzle heater and the heat bed but they don't radiate excessive heat normally. All that said it can't hurt to add a fan. A tweak to the standard RAMPS mount would probably suffice as all you really need to do is circulate air around under the build plate. The fan could sit next to the RAMPS board and blow air down away from the bed.
March 26, 2015 09:06AM
AndyCart
David J

cheers,
David

I've never needed a fan under the bed but I always use fairly low wattage heated beds. I have also stuck a piece of 3mm cork to the underside of the bed on some machines to insulate it a little. There is very little power required to move the carriages on a CP. The effector is very light and the carriages run very smoothly. My steppers usually draw about 0.75A. The things that get hot are the MOSFETs for the nozzle heater and the heat bed but they don't radiate excessive heat normally. All that said it can't hurt to add a fan. A tweak to the standard RAMPS mount would probably suffice as all you really need to do is circulate air around under the build plate. The fan could sit next to the RAMPS board and blow air down away from the bed.

There are also quite a few clip over type fan mounts on thingiverse such as Ramps 60mm fan mounts I use these to keep the fets cool which also aids in heat up speed for the bed.

This is on my Prusa mind so don't know if there is enough room for it under the bed on a Pi.

Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2015 10:04AM by dougal1957.
March 26, 2015 09:17AM
Andy,

Am I right in thinking that you recommend doing the mod on the StepStick motor drivers - shorting out R4, I think? I'll be starting off by using your configuration.h file, so I'll need to match your setup as much as possible. I will be using the 3 links under each driver board.

I have the right soldering kit to make this mod, but I only want to do it if it's a real benefit. smiling smiley
March 26, 2015 06:39PM
Making a little progress here, have the firmware installed, for some reason had to invert the end stop logic for x/y/z for it to report correctly (M119).

Edit: turns out I had a buggy end stop switch.

Not sure X and Y axis are working as they're supposed to though...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2015 07:18PM by Zzyzxx71.
March 26, 2015 07:15PM
David J
Andy,

Am I right in thinking that you recommend doing the mod on the StepStick motor drivers - shorting out R4, I think? I'll be starting off by using your configuration.h file, so I'll need to match your setup as much as possible. I will be using the 3 links under each driver board.

I have the right soldering kit to make this mod, but I only want to do it if it's a real benefit. smiling smiley

Absolutely, it make a big difference to how quiet the motors run and how much current they draw. Recently the A4988 boards I have been getting have the mod already done. What looks like a SMD resistor at R4 is actually a link
March 26, 2015 07:19PM
Zzyzxx71
Making a little progress here, have the firmware installed, for some reason had to invert the end stop logic for x/y/z for it to report correctly (M119).

When I select home, the X and Z (right and left forward towers) work correctly, the rear tower (y) just shimmy's down about 1cm.

That being said, when I manually raise/lower via the Z axis in Repetier, everything does up and down correctly, so I don't have a stepper pins flipped the wrong way.

Ideas?

Your tower designations and I assume your stepper and limit switch RAMPS connections are incorrect. X is front left, Y is front right, Z is the rear tower. If you get those correctly connected it may just spring into life!
March 26, 2015 08:29PM
AndyCart
Your tower designations and I assume your stepper and limit switch RAMPS connections are incorrect. X is front left, Y is front right, Z is the rear tower. If you get those correctly connected it may just spring into life!

Awesome - Fixed!

Edit #2: It appears I only have access to the forward left portion of the "cylinder", X only goes left of center, it refuses to go right, same with the rear (regarding the Y axis), it only goes to the front.

Edit#3 - video of the issue can be found here. - [www.youtube.com]

Edit#4 - Ugh - OK I've completely swapped out for a spare ramps shield and replaced the second Y axis end stop, and the behavior is the same. This has to be something in the firmware, I have new end stops, new shield, new connectors, etc. Z axis motion is working as expected, but homing isn't, but only for the Y tower.

Kinda stumped now. Additionally still haven't resolved the "front left quadrant" issue either.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2015 10:55PM by Zzyzxx71.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login