Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cherry Pi III Is Available

Posted by AndyCart 
Re: Cherry Pi III Is Available
April 15, 2015 01:13PM
David J
dougal1957

Anything to insulate the bottom of the heatbed is a good thing in My opinion (Some have used radiator reflector pads but be careful with them that you don't run the bed to hot else they can melt the polystyrene).

My PiXL is getting very close now just need to wire up my Z Probe from DC42 kapton my glass plates do an auto calibrate and test print with it (getting time to do all this is the issue at the moment SWMBO keeps getting in the way as well as the day job lol)

I've heard of people using MDF under a heatbed - it's usually even in thickness. I don't know if it would cope with 110C - 120C though. The advantage of a board under the bed is that I will be able to run a fan or two to cool the RAMPS board without chilling the heatbed from underneath.

Any more details on the Z probe? Sounds intriguing! smiling smiley

As for finding time - I'm retired, and my wife is pretty cool about my weird hobbies! smiling smiley Still don't find time to do anything though...

David

Dave

have a look at DC42's differential IR probe.

Don't yet know the cost that these will come out at yet but reckon we will in a few days or so. I have one of his from the Ormerod that he did and have made a braket for it that mounts to the effector using one of screws that join the upper to lower part of the effector plate.

To use DC42's new design I reckon that I will have to reduce the tubes down from 30mm long to 15 so as the fit the probe under the effector. Not to sure how it will play with marlin but it should work ok. I am using a Duet controller on mine with DC42 firmware that he reckons can do a auto cal using this probe on a delta in around 30 seconds, Should be able to test and confirm that on mine within a day or so.

So far the setup and configure of the Duet is a breeze (Config file is no more than around 20-30 lines that is in a file on the SD Card that doesn't need to be compiled or saved to eeprom each time you make a change and there is no pot's to adjust to set motor currents either it is just a line in the config file that tells it the number of milli amps each motor takes.

also has full web page control of the printer as well as his excellent touch screen display module.

Any way enough woffle from me for now time to go print an enclosure for the 5 inch display (the one in the photo above is the 4.3 inch display panel).

Doug
April 15, 2015 01:18PM
Hey Andy can you attach a picture of the mount I want to see how you clamped it down. Also is that design for the 310mm
April 15, 2015 01:37PM
mikes3ds
Hey Andy can you attach a picture of the mount I want to see how you clamped it down. Also is that design for the 310mm

Andy did say in his post that they were for his 220mm bed?
April 15, 2015 01:53PM

lol... need to read more.

Well in that case dougal1957 can you post your STL design so I can use it on my Cherry Pi XL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2015 01:56PM by mikes3ds.
April 15, 2015 02:19PM

April 15, 2015 02:25PM
mikes3ds

lol... need to read more.

Well in that case dougal1957 can you post your STL design so I can use it on my Cherry Pi XL

Of course I can but would you prefer me to redo it for you for a 330 bed and if so what size screw are you using to mount it (How long and diam).

Doug
April 15, 2015 02:55PM
Thank you Andy! Looks good.

Dougal thank you for offering, if it is not to much trouble to make work 310 diameter; however, I can edit if you send me the stl, I have sketchup w/ plugins but relatively new with it.
April 15, 2015 03:23PM
I think I've sorted the inductive probe out now. I've just uploaded a video of my machine doing a full bed probe and then printing. The probe doesn't appear to affect speed too much. This print is at 70mm/s. If you can stick with it for the whole five minutes it's really rattling along at the end!

[m.youtube.com]
April 15, 2015 03:24PM
mikes3ds
Thank you Andy! Looks good.

Dougal thank you for offering, if it is not to much trouble to make work 310 diameter; however, I can edit if you send me the stl, I have sketchup w/ plugins but relatively new with it.

Mike

No it's no bother it only takes a few mins for something like that so 310 diam if we say 3mm thick bed M5 screws at say 16 long leaving around 6-7mm of threads in the tee nut's how does that sound?

Doug.
April 15, 2015 03:30PM
Mike

Try this one it is 10mm thick with a 2.5 mm cutout at 155mm radius with a 5mm hole (This may just need drilling out but should be ok)
Attachments:
open | download - Mikes bed clamp.stl (16.6 KB)
April 15, 2015 03:51PM
Hi Andy,

Got my parts today and managed to get the basic frame built up and squared.

Thanks Adam
Attachments:
open | download - cherry pi.JPG (469.7 KB)
April 15, 2015 04:04PM
I've gone off printed bed supports for two reasons. First, the ones in my Mini Kossel kit were not quite all the same height because of a slight warping, so the bed was not quite level. I filed one of them down to make them level. Second, T3P3 have switched from printed bed supports to standoff pillars in their kits, apparently because the ABS supports were not stable enough if you regularly heat the bed to temperatures suitable for printing ABS. I guess that may depend on what heated bed temperature you use, and how much temperature overshoot there is.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 15, 2015 04:22PM
Thank you Dougal! I will see if it fits tonight. I am using 310mm ONYX heat bed and a 310mm Glass plate. I have to check the thickness tonight after work

Dc42 so you use standoff pillars like image->

April 15, 2015 04:43PM
mikes3ds
Dc42 so you use standoff pillars like image->

Yes, like the three at the top. The ones at the bottom are now supplied by T3P3 for mounting an electronics cooling fan to the extrusions. Those two standoffs are nylon ones, to avoid transmitting vibration from the fan to the extrusions.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

April 15, 2015 05:29PM
Can I use a 100k and 150k on probe as I just have and it doesn't detect it.
April 15, 2015 06:40PM
mrorange26
Can I use a 100k and 150k on probe as I just have and it doesn't detect it.

That's probably too high a resistance. You need 15K and 10K
April 15, 2015 06:41PM
adambrum
Hi Andy,

Got my parts today and managed to get the basic frame built up and squared.

Thanks Adam

Great progress.
April 15, 2015 06:43PM
Ok thanks will pickup some tomorrow
April 15, 2015 08:19PM
David J
I've heard of people using MDF under a heatbed - it's usually even in thickness. I don't know if it would cope with 110C - 120C though.

SeeMeCNC provides a wooden "snowflake" for use under the Onyx heatbed on their Rostock Max. Here's a picture of mine, turned upside-down and resting in the frame of my new HotBot2 build:

The Rostock Max is constructed of laser-cut engineered wood, with some sort of laminate on the two flat surfaces. The Onyx/snowflake on my Cherry Pi have been running 110C for 6+ months with no issue.

In case anyone is curious about the popsicle sticks and large nuts, I was prototyping a new bed-mounting system for use with FSRs that holds the bed stationary yet still lets the FSR function. It did three "G30" Z-height probes in a row, and the results were identical out to 4 decimal places. I couldn't ask for better repeatability.....
April 16, 2015 05:22PM
Could anybody help me I have installed the new probe,updated to lastest firmware now when I do a g30 command it goes right off the bed back right hand corner.I have the mendal 220mm heated bed as suggested by andy earlier on in the thread.
April 16, 2015 06:49PM
I would check your configuration.h settings? Are you using the same configuration file with the new firmware? Are all your M666 settings the same as they were?

When I updated the firmware I had to re input some of the M666 stuff, I guess a change in the eprom settings between versions causes some to get changed for defaults.
April 17, 2015 02:44AM
I have had it printing with this new firmware its just when I do the auto calibration sequence.
April 17, 2015 03:45AM
There aren't too many settings involved with the probe. First check it is signalling correctly using M119. Z Min should show triggered if the probe light is lit. Next check the bed diameter setting in config.h. I use 160mm normally. Then check your probe offsets. These are the differences in X, Y and Z between the probe trigger point and the nozzle. With my inductive probe effector the Y offset is 0 and the X is -32.4mm. Z will vary depending on where you set the tip of the probe. Mine is about 0.6mm. The only other settings are the probe deploy/retract section. As you don't need to deploy and retract set all the X, Y and Z values to zero apart from the Z value for the deploy line. I set that at 20 to allow time for the effector to slow down and use the low probe speed.
April 17, 2015 12:42PM
Just trying to calculate how high my probe is from my hotend.
Is this the right way to do it.I put hotend down to bed just paper is just scratching under head,then I hit 0.1 until light went of on probe,It was 12 so do I out 1.2 in z probe offset for z.
April 17, 2015 12:57PM
Also where is Z value for the deploy line cant find it anywhere.
April 17, 2015 12:59PM
// Precision for G30 delta autocalibration function
#define AUTOCALIBRATION_PRECISION 0.05 // mm

// Diameter of print bed - this is used to set the distance that autocalibration probes the bed at.
#define BED_DIAMETER 160 // mm

// Z-Probe variables
// Start and end location values are used to deploy/retract the probe (will move from start to end and back again)
#define PROBING_FEEDRATE 100/10*60 // Speed for individual probe Use: G30 A F600
#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET {0, -32.4, 0.6, 0} // X, Y, Z, E distance between hotend nozzle and deployed bed leveling probe.
#define Z_PROBE_DEPLOY_START_LOCATION {0, 0, 20, 0} // X, Y, Z, E start location for z-probe deployment sequence
#define Z_PROBE_DEPLOY_END_LOCATION {0, 0, 0, 0} // X, Y, Z, E end location for z-probe deployment sequence
#define Z_PROBE_RETRACT_START_LOCATION {0, 0, 0, 0} // X, Y, Z, E start location for z-probe retract sequence
#define Z_PROBE_RETRACT_END_LOCATION {0, 0, 0, 0} // X, Y, Z, E end location for z-probe retract sequence

#define AUTOLEVEL_GRID 24 // Distance between autolevel Z probing points, should be less than print surface radius/3.
April 17, 2015 01:01PM
I haven't got this line in my config h
#define PROBING_FEEDRATE 100/10*60 // Speed for individual probe Use: G30 A F600
I just added it manually is that right to do that.
April 17, 2015 01:04PM
It's maybe in a different variable in yours :-

//Speed for autocalibration travel and probing moves
#define AUTOCAL_TRAVELRATE 150 // mm/sec
#define AUTOCAL_PROBERATE 10 // mm/sec

Don't add it if you have the above. It's the same thing
April 17, 2015 01:09PM
Mine didn't have those 2 lines in it.I got the latest version.
The printer is now going down to centre then slowing up,doing a probe there then shooting to back right corner so far that rods fall out?
April 17, 2015 01:11PM
Make sure your #define BED_DIAMETER 160 // mm is set, like mine to 160 and that the Y offset is negative #define Z_PROBE_OFFSET {0, -32.4, 0.6, 0} // X, Y, Z, E distance between hotend nozzle and deployed bed leveling probe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login