Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cherry Pi III Is Available

Posted by AndyCart 
Re: Cherry Pi III Is Available
September 09, 2015 07:18PM
David J, congratulations! It sounds like you had quite a few problems, and I'm glad you managed to solv them all. It looks a very neat printer too.

If you print a few more Escher lizards, you can end up with something like this.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

September 10, 2015 03:16AM
steve806
Hi,

I may be being a bit thick here but Im fairly new to this 3D printing malarkey so bear with me.

Im currently running Cura 14-07. My question is can I use the platform leveling wizard in the program to calibrate my printer, also do the latest versions of Cura support Delta style printers.

As I say sorry if Im being a bit thick but I do have a mental block regarding calibrating the printer Mutterings of M666 commands are a bit Blakes 7 to me!

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve

There is a calibration guide PDF file on the SD card that came with your printer. This should ease you through the process.

Andy
September 10, 2015 05:08AM
There is room underneath, but I cheated and used some aluminium U-section across the lower sections of the frame (I couldn't be bothered to design something specially for the job, and I had the metal parts I needed in the garage). You can just about see them in this picture. I used captive nuts on the U-channel with nylon nuts and screws to hold the board to it.

It is possible to make a very neat layout, with a bit of effort. It also helps if you're prepared to cut the motor harnesses to fit, as I did.

Note: The orange box on the side originally had sockets for the ethernet, USB and XBox PSU - but then I found that the PSU didn't quite have enough power so I made another box that only had the ethernet and USB connectors, with the power coming from an external 12v PSU via a pair of hefty cables.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2015 05:29AM by David J.
September 10, 2015 08:06AM
If you have 20mm separation between the lower pairs of horizontal extrusions, then it is possible to mount the Duet with the Ethernet socket, USB socket and SD card flush with the outside of the machine so that you can get at them directly from the outside. I published some printed parts to mount the Duet this way at [www.thingiverse.com]. The OpenScad files are there too so they can be adapted as required.

I guess one advantage of your layout is that you can probably reach in with your finger from underneath the machine to press the Erase and Reset buttons, without having to remove the bed.

When mounting the Duet horizontally under the bed, I recommend using a fan to blow air over the Duet along the line of stepper drivers, especially if the bed is heated. I guess this may not be necessary if you know you will always use low motor currents e.g. 800mA or less.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

September 10, 2015 09:07AM
I don't think that the spacing on the Cherry Pi is quite enough to allow those mounts - but I haven't measured yet - and there's no bottom plate to hold the rear support. Unfortunately I can't quite reach the erase button on the Duet - but it only takes me a couple of minutes to release the bed anyway. No great problem.

I do have an aluminium heated bed, but it's mounted on a MDF board with 2mm cork between the two. The Duet board doesn't get particularly warm. I may still fit a little fan to move the air around the drivers a bit though.
September 10, 2015 12:16PM
Yeah, the spacing between the bars on Cherry Pi is narrower than the Kossel. I've encountered issues with that before, in that an ATX connector plug fits cleanly between the bars on the Kossel but not on the Pi.

But having access to that OpenSCAD source could prove helpful. And it's good to see that the Duet does fit. I may cobble something of my own together sometime.

Thanks to you both!
September 17, 2015 09:30AM
I've just finished rebuilding by effector with an inductive Z-probe and part cooling fan. I've worked out that the Z-offset between the probe triggering and then the nozzle just catching the paper is 0.14mm. Do I enter this in marlin's configuration.h as positive or negative? Is this value only used during auto-calibration?

September 18, 2015 03:42AM
Hi,

quick question what Marlin version are you guys using atm? The newer builds all have autolevel disabled and I would love to get my inductive probe going.
September 18, 2015 04:01AM
I'm using Rich Cattell's Testing Build (https://github.com/RichCattell/Marlin). It's the one Andy recommends and has all the latest auto-calibration and bed levelling code.
September 18, 2015 04:26AM
Yeah I had that working at one point but now I just get some high pitch noises from my motors when I want to move in Rich Cattel version, while normal marlin and repetier with the same settings have no problems, so RC is out for me^^
September 18, 2015 03:14PM
Hi, have been printing using Ninja Flex without to many problems, had to run the nozzle temperature quite high 250 deg so that the material flows freely through the nozzle and you need fairly efficient cooling fans otherwise you end up with a blob, but this printed easier than I expected.

Any ideas how to seal PLA prints so they are air tight to around 3 bar?

Steve

Gowen,

love the auto calibration but it would have to be a bolt on and play for me as Im no electronics engineer!
September 18, 2015 03:17PM
steve806
Any ideas how to seal PLA prints so they are air tight to around 3 bar?

Maybe try sealing with epoxy or polyurothan resin.
October 11, 2015 02:07AM
Hey all, I'm having a few issues with my Pi again haha. Details (inc video) are here... [forums.reprap.org]

Would appreciate it if anyone can take a gander! It's just an autocal problem. Not sure what's the go.
October 17, 2015 08:24AM
Guys? Anyone able to give me a hand? It's driving me nuts and I haven't managed to get help. sad smiley
October 17, 2015 03:52PM
What is the output after this routine? doesnt look to strange to me. I would try excluding firmware as a factor by trying mainbranch marlin and then you can work backwards
October 23, 2015 04:49PM
Hey guys, I am a new one here...
Would anyone care to print me a set of plastic parts for a Cherry Pi IIIs?
I am from Germany, if that matters, but I guess shipping oversea should not be a problem these days...
Thanks!
October 23, 2015 06:05PM
There is a german section - not that easy to find though: [forums.reprap.org]

Also there are specific threads for people who "print it forward". Once you get your parts you remain subscribed to the thread and print a set out to the next one who needs em. Can't find the fitting thread though. You can also check [3dhubs.com] to try find someone nearby
October 24, 2015 02:05AM
Thanks for the tip, but it seems like no Cherry Pi owners there...
I just thought it would be better to get a set from someone who had build one already, just to make sure everything is there and of the correct version.

It seems like I will have to get parts printer elsewhere...
October 24, 2015 02:15AM
Maybe check out the deltabot google group and this thread: [groups.google.com]

Afaik it doesn't matter too much that someone has the same printer (although there is a certain poetic appeal to it winking smiley)
It's more important that they have a well working machine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2015 02:15AM by Dejay.
October 24, 2015 02:21AM
Yes it is clear that a CoreXY can print parts for the Cherry, but a person who had build one might have a better understanding of it (although not necessarily smiling smiley), considering all the different versions available.
Like if you have a stable and working build it would be easier to build a second one smiling smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2015 02:32AM by Teilchen.
October 24, 2015 02:41AM
Well you just send them the required STL files in a zip file. And in the worst case there is always duct tape winking smiley (Or zip ties or super glue)
October 24, 2015 04:54AM
Teilchen
Yes it is clear that a CoreXY can print parts for the Cherry, but a person who had build one might have a better understanding of it (although not necessarily smiling smiley), considering all the different versions available.
Like if you have a stable and working build it would be easier to build a second one smiling smiley.

Andycart who designed it will print you a set of parts he usually advertises on ebay although I can't see anything at the moment You could always drop him a PM on here and I am sure he will sort you out with a set but to be honest you may be better with a set of Alluminium extruded corner's from www.robotdigg.com for $55 and then all you would really need printing are the Carriage parts and the effector parts plus any silly little endstop/electronics mounts mounts etc (These mounts/cases could be printed be yourself and retro fitted later)

HTH

Doug
October 26, 2015 01:43PM
Hi people,

I have an 8mm ball end-mill and I was wondering if using it to smooth the sockets on the effector and carriage plates benefits the workings of the ball/socket joints? Or will this only introduce inconsistencies in the delta arm lengths?

Thanks

Nilez
October 26, 2015 02:01PM
Nilez,

I used one to get a nice fit on my joints. You need to be careful not to over do it. You could tell with my sockets that the balls weren't going in as far as they should.

Thanks

Matt
October 26, 2015 02:06PM
Great! Thanks!

But in theory one could use the ball/socket parts as they come out of the printer as long as the dimensions are correct?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2015 03:41PM by Nilez.
November 05, 2015 07:15PM
Quick question are you still having acceleration ripples at 50mms in corners or is the frame so solid that these are completely gone?
November 09, 2015 04:05AM
Hello,
I'm having a hard time to calibrate my cherry pi.
I have a Rostock printer that I build so I have a little experience with deltas..

I'm attaching a photo that will help me to explain:

All 3 towers and center were calibrated with the paper method. (I have also Z probe but I want to calibrate it by hand first)

When the printer goes from the center to the green arrow, the nozzle raise a bit.
When the pinter from from the center to the opposite direction (the red arrow) the nozzle is hitting the bed.

When I travel between X and Y towers - everything is good.
The problem is only between X ->Z, Z->Y.

I thought maybe I'm missing steps, or the belts are not tight enough.
I adjusted the current limit and tightened the belts, but nothing helped.

My printer does print good, but only at the center.

[youtu.be]

Does someone have a clue what am I missing? what I did wrong?
It is something to do with the calibration? Or maybe it's a build problem..

Thanks,
Itay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2015 05:53AM by itaysp.
November 09, 2015 06:33AM
In the firmware calibration, you need to shift the Z tower anticlockwise around the circle a little. In RepRapFirmware this would be done using a positive Z parameter in the M666 command in the config.g file on the SD card. In most other firmwares except Smoothieware, I think you have to enter the value in the firmware, re-compile and re-upload the firmware.

November 09, 2015 07:46AM
Thank you! I will try this when I get back home.

I was using Repetier firmware until now.

In Reptier firmware i'm able to change "Angle of column A/B/C", do you think this is it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2015 08:48AM by itaysp.
November 09, 2015 12:46PM
Yes, I think that is the one. Try increasing it a little, perhaps to 90.5 or 91.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login