Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Core XY Printer £100.00 Build Cost

Posted by AndyCart 
Core XY Printer £100.00 Build Cost
June 20, 2014 11:06AM
Hi Guys

I know it's not a delta but I thought you may be interested in my latest design. It's a core XY machine that uses Igus bearings and cheap rods. The drive system uses spectra line and printed pulleys. I used an old Sanguinololu board I had but you can buy all the bits, if you shop around, for about £100.00. The machine is fast and accurate. It's featured on Thingiverse here [www.thingiverse.com] and there is a link to a video of it printing at 50mm/s perimeter 80mm/s infill.

Andy
A2
Re: Core XY Printer £100.00 Build Cost
June 21, 2014 06:11AM
Looks good!
Got a link to the supplier of the squirrel cage fan.
July 18, 2014 02:39AM
Looks really good. Thanks for Sharing. Maybe I will built one. Got most of the parts lieing around. Core XY rocks. Building a large printer with it.
July 18, 2014 12:07PM
It's like a switch flipped and many people are now testing printing on carbon fiber vinyl. I'm still waiting on my DI-NOC to arrive two weeks later..
Good design, looks like it's printing solid and clean.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
July 18, 2014 05:27PM
Carbon fibre effect vinyl is excellent for PLA on a cold bed. I've tried it on acrylic and glass. Both are good
Len
July 19, 2014 10:27AM
I am interested in building one, I like the idea of using wheels on the beams for liner motion. Thanks for the link, I have found most of your other posts there, but I didn't see a forward link to your newest incarnation. I just printed your extruder. I like your work.
July 19, 2014 06:51PM
Hi Len

So far only PrntQB 1 and 2 are published. I'm working, slowly, on a core xy that uses Openbuilds V wheels but it's a way off yet. The Cherry Pi range of deltas are mine too and CP III uses v wheels. They work great.

I can't take much credit for the extruder design, it's a very minimally changed version of the one Richrap designed for his 3DR machine. It is really good. I've built 14 of them now. Not an issue with any.

Andy
Len
July 20, 2014 07:13PM
I have six 8mm steel rods that are 300 mm also six woven carbon fiber the same size, also a 8mm threaded rod the same size. I thought it might be interesting to build your version 2 with carbon fiber and plastic bearings. I may do the Z axis different, but not sure yet. Currently the X and Y parts are being printed. I have a recently built Kossel and am printing crazy. I looked at your Cherry Pi versions and picked up some good stuff. I tried putting magnets in 8mm carbon fiber diagonals, but when I added the .002 thick Teflon mouse disk it seemed to loose about half it's attraction force so I'm back to Traxxes and rubber bands for now. It is printing real nice. There is another delta in the works with 2020 extrusions. I ordered a piece of the carbon fiber pattern vinyl, I hadn't seen that before. You mentioned your other hobby is RC Aircraft, so is mine, but it has taken a hit in time spent lately.

Len
July 21, 2014 12:27PM
Hi Len

Carbon fibre should work O.K with either Igus or printed bearings. My magnetic rods are metal to metal. I put a bit of teflon lube in each 'cup' and they have been printing for months with no issue. The carbon fibre effect vinyl is great to print on. I used to do a lot of RC. I got into the bigger 1/4 scale end of the hobby and then decided if I was building aircraft that big I might as well go the whole hog so I learned to fly and have built two full size aircraft one of which I still fly. I have another build started but it's on hold while I get this darned 3D printing bug out of my system!!!

Andy
August 01, 2014 04:16PM
Hi Andy,

Congrats for your all great work here. Cherry Pi III and PrntQB versions seems to be perfect.

I am a bit indecisive about building Delta or Corexy type 3D printer, but I think I will go for a Corexy and it will be your design. So I will be actively asking for your help in this topic, as I am a newbie in this environment. I hope everyone gets use of your contribution here. Thank you again!

I currently have 5 stepper motors, an LCD screen and five pololu A4988 stepper drivers. I will complete the rest.

1. Which controller board would you suggest? I am planning to get Azteeg X5, is this controller suitable to PrintQB?
2. I saw in one of your posts, that you will change the Z movement just as in the Cherry Pi III with mini V wheels. I am not sure if this was the case. Should I wait for the PrntQB V3, when do you plan to announce the new version? If there is no such case, where can I get Z lead screw nut you use for PrntQB V2?
3. Is any 20x20 aluminium extrusions suitable for your design?
4. Is there any advantage of using aluminium rods instead of steel rods? Should they be solid or empty-inside rods?
5. Is it probable to see stretch issue on fishing line, which may cause bad calibration in my opinion.

I know so many questions here smiling smiley They may sound ridiculous for some of you, but I am inexperienced in this area.

I hope you will help. Thanks in advance.
August 01, 2014 05:32PM
reprapturk
Hi Andy,

Congrats for your all great work here. Cherry Pi III and PrntQB versions seems to be perfect.

I am a bit indecisive about building Delta or Corexy type 3D printer, but I think I will go for a Corexy and it will be your design. So I will be actively asking for your help in this topic, as I am a newbie in this environment. I hope everyone gets use of your contribution here. Thank you again!

I currently have 5 stepper motors, an LCD screen and five pololu A4988 stepper drivers. I will complete the rest.

1. Which controller board would you suggest? I am planning to get Azteeg X5, is this controller suitable to PrintQB?

Any controller that supports Marlin with core xy kinematics would be fine. Make sure your drivers and LCD are compatible though

2. I saw in one of your posts, that you will change the Z movement just as in the Cherry Pi III with mini V wheels. I am not sure if this was the case. Should I wait for the PrntQB V3, when do you plan to announce the new version? If there is no such case, where can I get Z lead screw nut you use for PrntQB V2?

PrntQB V3 is on a back burner as I have been inundated with orders for my Cherry Pi range (11 built so far)

Any 2020 should be fine

4. Is there any advantage of using aluminium rods instead of steel rods? Should they be solid or empty-inside rods?

Any rigid rod or tube will be fine as long as the OD is compatible with the Igus plastic bearings

5. Is it probable to see stretch issue on fishing line, which may cause bad calibration in my opinion.

Spectra line doesn't stretch. It's not a monofilament nylon line it's a braided dacron

I know so many questions here smiling smiley They may sound ridiculous for some of you, but I am inexperienced in this area.

Good luck
August 01, 2014 06:10PM
AndyCart
reprapturk
Hi Andy,

Any controller that supports Marlin with core xy kinematics would be fine. Make sure your drivers and LCD are compatible though

PrntQB V3 is on a back burner as I have been inundated with orders for my Cherry Pi range (11 built so far)

Any 2020 should be fine

Any rigid rod or tube will be fine as long as the OD is compatible with the Igus plastic bearings

Spectra line doesn't stretch. It's not a monofilament nylon line it's a braided dacron

Good luck
Thanks a lot for your quick response.

One more question. I assume I can use E3D V6 with bowden tube for your design. Is it possible to update the J head bracket for E3D hotends?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2014 06:11PM by reprapturk.
August 01, 2014 07:41PM
AndyCart

The Azteeg X5 Mini is a 32-bit processor that only runs Smoothieware. Smoothie has CoreXY support, but you will need to configure it versus just grabbing someone else's pre-configured Marlin folder and loading it straight into your 8-bit controller du jour. I do not personally know the maturity level of the CoreXY stuff in Smoothie, so it may be worth checking to make sure that it is working for other CoreXY owners. Smoothie's Delta support is awesome....
August 02, 2014 01:59AM
reprapturk
If there is no such case, where can I get Z lead screw nut you use for PrntQB V2?

Sorry I missed that one! I made the lead screw nut from a piece of UHMW polythene (an old plastic chopping board). I drilled a 1/4" hole through it and then tapped it to M8. I put the M8 threaded rod in an electric drill and ran the nut up and down a few times until it moved freely. It makes an excellent lead screw nut as it's pretty much self lubricating and, due to the flexibility in the material is virtually back lash free.
August 02, 2014 05:07AM
vreihen
AndyCart

The Azteeg X5 Mini is a 32-bit processor that only runs Smoothieware. Smoothie has CoreXY support, but you will need to configure it versus just grabbing someone else's pre-configured Marlin folder and loading it straight into your 8-bit controller du jour. I do not personally know the maturity level of the CoreXY stuff in Smoothie, so it may be worth checking to make sure that it is working for other CoreXY owners. Smoothie's Delta support is awesome....

So it means that I will be using 8 bit out of 32 bit controller, if I use Smoothieware with corexy. Right?

In the Smoothieware website,

used for HBot or Corexy.

Set arm_solution to corexy or hbot in config
and uncomment corexy_homing in config if using homing

Also it is recommended to set

alpha_max_rate
beta_max_rate

to the top speed your steppers can go, as these refer to the actuator speed (the X and Y steppers) which on a corexy can run nearly twice as fast as the requested Cartesian speed when gong in certain directions.

Can I run it just changing these codes in the smoothie ware ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2014 05:12AM by reprapturk.
August 02, 2014 05:59AM
reprapturk
So it means that I will be using 8 bit out of 32 bit controller, if I use Smoothieware with corexy. Right?

Smoothieware is 32-bit, and runs on a 32-bit processor.

Marlin is 8-bit, and runs on an 8-bit processor.

You cannot run 8-bit firmware (Marlin) on a 32-bit processor (Azteeg X5 Mini), or vice-versa. Any printer that needs to do complex math involving square roots to calculate geometry will benefit from a 32-bit processor/firmware like Smoothie provides.

Configuring Smoothieware for CoreXY may be as simple as adding those few lines to the example cartesian config file, but I am not sure. On the Azteeg X5 Mini with a Delta printer, everyone starts with wolfmanjm's sample delta config file. I would start by looking to see if there is a similar CoreXY file to use as a base.....
August 12, 2014 06:13AM
Interested but can't find where to source the igus bearings? can you give me any pointers?
August 12, 2014 05:47PM
jregholdsworth
Interested but can't find where to source the igus bearings? can you give me any pointers?

Www.igus.com
August 12, 2014 06:44PM
Feeling quite dull.,...you might live in the last of the summer wine territory but I is one...thanks anyway
August 13, 2014 05:08PM
I have days like that too confused smiley
August 27, 2014 02:35AM
Hi,

I m very interested in building this printer.
I m a 3D printer newbie.

Could you tell me what you use as controller?

on more classical 3D printers (mendelmax, p.e.), the controller used is something like that : SainSmart Mega2560 + A4988 + RAMPS 1.4 3D Printer KIT For Arduino RepRap

is it the same for yours?

Thanks a lot smiling smiley
August 27, 2014 07:31AM
FAL67
Hi,

I m very interested in building this printer.
I m a 3D printer newbie.

Could you tell me what you use as controller?

on more classical 3D printers (mendelmax, p.e.), the controller used is something like that : SainSmart Mega2560 + A4988 + RAMPS 1.4 3D Printer KIT For Arduino RepRap

is it the same for yours?

Thanks a lot smiling smiley

That's exactly what I used but I bought from AliExpress [www.aliexpress.com]
August 29, 2014 12:46AM
thanks for your quick answer.

and thanks for the link... never saw it so cheap elsewhere smiling smiley

i m at the moment salvaging some parts (bearings, rods, motors, end switch) from a big color laser printer, in order to lower down the number or parts I need to buy.

It will defenitively be your printer design.

Being new in this great 3D printing world, I will certainly ask some more questions...

Thanks again smiling smiley
September 03, 2014 11:19AM
Andy,

I just came across a youtube video of the PrntQB V3 printing... [www.youtube.com]
Are you going to release it soon?

I also noticed that it looks like you went back to using the belts instead of the spectra line. What was your reason behind that decision?

Thanks,

Brent
September 03, 2014 02:29PM
Hi Brent

I won't be releasing the V3. It's just a scaled up version of the V1 (on Thingiverse) with new components from the Sakura Rev 3 (also on Thingiverse). The V2 was purely an experiment to see how cheaply I could build a printer that gave acceptable results. V3 moves away from printed parts for the Z Axis carriage and mounts in favour of items fabricated out of spare bits of aluminium alloy angle I had left over from an aeroplane build project and commercially available bearing holders and rod bearers. Due to the increased Z height and the wobble I experienced on V1 I used 16mm diameter rods for Z, just because I had some in my workshop. I just fabbed up what was needed I didn't make any drawings or sketches so it's hard to publish

broettge
Andy,

I just came across a youtube video of the PrntQB V3 printing... [www.youtube.com]
Are you going to release it soon?

I also noticed that it looks like you went back to using the belts instead of the spectra line. What was your reason behind that decision?

Thanks,

Brent
September 03, 2014 07:22PM

That's exactly what I used but I bought from AliExpress [www.aliexpress.com]
I think the shopping mall probably sell electronics for Reprap 3D Printers at lowest price on the net.
They offer even free shipping for thirty some dollars of RAMPS 1.4 Kit which is sold in other places at least double the price.
But overall processing and delivery time is 30 to 43 days according to their delivery plan.
Cheap international shipping doesn't provide tracking information of the package.
It seems to be a good place for buying spare parts for DIY builders or online shop owners. Wholesale price!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2014 07:23PM by janpenguin.
September 04, 2014 01:57PM
Thanks for all the info Andy. I just started ordering all the parts for my PrntQB v2 build. I figured an inexpensive build is a great way to get started in this hobby.

Since I am new to this and I don't know anybody with a 3D printer already, can I convince someone here to print the required parts for me? I would be more then happy to cover the expense. I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA.

Thanks,
Brent
September 04, 2014 03:41PM
There are "print it forward" threads where you can ask for 3D printed parts. People who received free parts there hopefully still read those threads and can help you out smiling smiley Also there is 3dhubs.com
September 07, 2014 04:17AM
hi andy

may i ask where you bought the 20x20 alu profiles and the rods?
i can t find any good price...

thx smiling smiley
September 07, 2014 05:10PM
FAL67
hi andy

may i ask where you bought the 20x20 alu profiles and the rods?
i can t find any good price...

thx smiling smiley

I always use [www.kjnltd.co.uk] good prices and service and they cut to length free of charge
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login