Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thermal Paste between head bed and glass?

Posted by jaguarking11 
Thermal Paste between head bed and glass?
June 24, 2014 01:25PM
So does anyone use thermal paste between the heated bed and the glass? I was planning on putting some on but have no idea if it will survive trips to 100+C.... Another thing. I hate the whole binder clip idea. Any ideas on how to properly mount this thing?

-Bruno

PS: updated my blog if you guys want to check it out.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
Re: Thermal Paste between head bed and glass?
June 24, 2014 02:07PM
I like magentizing things for ease and appearance.
I have thermal paste on my extruder for the thermistor and heater cartridge. I've gone above 350C. Well, didn't find out until after that thermal paste isn't rated for that temp, but I've never had an issue. Nothing's changed. I can say it did smell a bit weird at first, but only for a short time.
Pretty sure only 100C will be just fine.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
June 24, 2014 02:08PM
Just a random spec I found on a search:

Extended Temperature Limits:
Peak: -50 Degrees C to >180 Degrees C
Long-Term: -50 Degrees C to 130 Degrees C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2014 02:09PM by MrDoctorDIV.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
June 24, 2014 05:06PM
I see its within range then, at least for AC. Although I havent used an AS product since arctic silver ceramique. HMM. Sounds good to me. I have to start shopping for a piece of mirror to get the larger bed that my machine needs. I have a 10inch mirror disk and its way too small for my machine. Looks like 12-13inches maybe correct.

[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

July 10, 2014 03:38PM
I use thermal paste on my hot end thermistors and heater cartridges. the paste gets a bit "drier" with long term heat exposure but it works ok. I decided against using it on my heated bed because Ilike to remove the glass to clean it up and having thermal paste on there is a pain in the arse! That stuff get's everywhere you don't want it to!
July 10, 2014 04:29PM
I have not done much with the printer yet. I will keep this in mind. I do have a large tube of AS thermal paste left over from various pc builds in the last 7 years. I have more than enough of the stuff to try. I will be using it on the thermistor/resistor and the heated bed/thermistor combos. I am hoping to start calibrating this thing in the next two weeks. Maybe....

[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

July 11, 2014 09:50AM
You should definitely be using it with the thermistors. They won't get as accurate as they can get without it. The hot end heater will be more efficient with thermal paste too but a tight enough fit can be achieved with aluminum foil such that thermal paste isn't aboslutely required.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login