Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A few questions before I start my 3DR build

Posted by RDM6 
A few questions before I start my 3DR build
July 16, 2014 08:35PM
Hi everyone, I have a few questions that I would like to get help on before I start my 3DR build.

Some background on me: I own a solidoodle 2, modified to run off a RUMBA and E3D hot end with full enclosure. I've finally got it running reliably with good print quality.

I have decided I want to build a 3DR, sourcing everything myself and printing all parts on the solidoodle (looks like they will all fit). I will use some extensions pieces and slightly longer rods than on Richrap's original build. When I am ready to install the electronics, I will take the RUMBA and E3D off my solidoodle and probably put it back to stock and sell it, My 3DR build will also have a heated bed.

Anyway, one thing I have learned on the solidoodle is that I absolutely need a full enclosure to prevent ABS warping/ lifting. Those issues are behind me and now I can get totally flat prints without even a hint of lifting but not without my enclosure. I noticed the 3DR does not typically have an enclosure. Are people somehow getting lfiting- free ABS prints on the 3DR without an enclosure? The typical design puts the RUMBA inside the printer, but I don't want my board, even with fans, enclosed in an area where it will get hot. So I could move the board outside the printer if I make an enclosure, but this would be somewhat of a pain and look sloppy. I was thinking I would mount my PSU and RUMBA on a piece of wood and just set it next to the printer. Or, has anyone enclosed the 3DR in plexiglass with the RUMBA in there and not had any issues? That just seems like a bad idea but maybe it would work.

Second question: what is the best heated bed to use? I have not seen any heated circular beds out there, but maybe they exist somewhere. I think I can fit a 200mm x 200 mm bed in with these extensions: [www.thingiverse.com] What heated bed have you all used with and without the extensions? I already have a good printer than can print 150 x 150 mm to I want a minimum of 200 mm but I will go bigger if I can find a good one. Any heated bed suggestions?

Thanks!
Re: A few questions before I start my 3DR build
July 17, 2014 01:49AM
I am building a rostock derivative. I will be enclosing mine. I just printed my first calibration now. 1am. Check out aliexpress for round heated bed. My bed is in the neighborhood of 340 mm round by 365 mm height. I can probably go around 380mm in height though. If you wish to see my build. Check out my blog.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
July 18, 2014 03:59AM
i have build a 3dr and use it. For the kind of modifications you want to do it would be better that you build a kossel mini .. The beauty of the 3DR lies in its simplicity . If you plan to change that might as well build a kossel as that is far easier to enclose . Regarding heated beds there are a few hexagonal beds made for the kossel mini which can be used on the 3DR
July 18, 2014 02:14PM
ekaggrat
i have build a 3dr and use it. For the kind of modifications you want to do it would be better that you build a kossel mini .. The beauty of the 3DR lies in its simplicity . If you plan to change that might as well build a kossel as that is far easier to enclose . Regarding heated beds there are a few hexagonal beds made for the kossel mini which can be used on the 3DR

Hmm, I will look into building a kossel mini but I'm still leaning towards a 3DR. I really want a larger build area and I'm pretty sure the 3DR with some extension pieces in the base plate would give me that. Also, I would prefer the entirely printed base of the 3DR over all the open rail of the kossel mini. 3DR still has some rail cutting to do but not nearly as much. I have a saw and I could cut it but it just seems easier to print when possible. I'm thinking if I can design a bracket that slips into the outside edge of the rail on the 3DR and allows you to slide in some plexiglass pieces, it could end up having a nice enclosure too.
July 18, 2014 03:10PM
a mini kossel is MUCH easier to scale up than a 3DR. Get into the deltabots google group and check out Jay Coture's Mini Kossel calculator. The extrusions can be bought precut to the lengths you specify., Why would you want to cut it yourself? Ekaggrat is right in that the Mini Kossels are MUCH MUCH easier to enclose.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login