Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Injection Molded Parts - Delta

Posted by RapidFab 
Injection Molded Parts - Delta
August 18, 2014 09:14AM
I have and injection molding machine. I was thinking about making some standard parts for Delta 3D Printers.

I wanted to get a sense of the level of interest and recommendations on which designs/parts people are interested in.
Re: Injection Molded Parts - Delta
August 18, 2014 07:54PM
I would think that you would have no problem getting rid of 2020 Kossel top and bottom brackets, although many people still want the 1515 profile.....
August 19, 2014 08:59AM
Why limit this survey to Delta shaped printers?

I think that for lots of designs, a casing for the standard 8mm liniari bearing is interesting.
With a flat side and 2 holes bolting the bearing to any carriage.

If you want to sell stuff, you better aim at a specific design and mold all of the parts fir that one.
So you sell kits without vitamines.

Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
August 19, 2014 09:37PM
this guy is already doing it ........

kossel 800
August 19, 2014 09:49PM
Thanks ekaggrat, happen to know the link for where they are selling them. I looked but could not find
August 19, 2014 09:54PM
they did it for a crowd funding in shanghai and are right now fulfilling the backers. I asked they for a kit when it becomes available

crowd funding
August 20, 2014 04:54AM
Delta frame parts are deceivingly complex in regards to injection molding, remember, they were designed for 3d printing, not injection molding.

We've been looking into injection molding the Griffin Pro parts as a stretch goal and found that even the "simple" frame parts require multi-part molds, 4 for the lower, 6 for the upper. The Kossel Mini would probably require 6 parts for the upper and 6 for the lower, and based on the numbers we were given, you can expect several tens of thousands of dollars just for those unless you're an experienced mold maker.

Here's something else to consider,
I remember someone ramping up Rostock kits, and no sooner had they started production when the Kossel and Cerberus Pup came out and demand for Rostocks dropped nearly to zero. That's something you need to consider, you could spend a ton getting molds and a new delta could hit the next day leaving you stuck with no way to recover your costs.

@ Replace
See that cost estimate, a delta really only needs 6 or 7 unique (printed) parts, they get re-used over and over again. A cartesian has a pile of different parts and each part will require several thousand dollars each for a mold.
August 20, 2014 06:53AM
To put it all into perspective along with what Sheepdog said, we uploaded a Griffin Pro lower connector to ProtoMold to see how much it would come back at for single mold. It was over $15,000 for just that one mold.
August 20, 2014 07:59PM
If you shop around and use a short-run steel mold, the cost can be significantly cheaper. Not super cheap though.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
August 20, 2014 08:00PM
I am actually planning to use aluminum mold. Even less $s.
August 20, 2014 10:13PM
Maybe it is aluminum I am thinking of. It's the ones used for prototypes/short run products.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
August 31, 2014 12:49AM
Pssssssffft.... I can mold and cast 100 pieces for 10% of that protomold cost.

I am currently casting an extruder for my Rostock. I can't stand using an FDM part for any mechanical purpose. Dogisht. IMHO.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login