Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

End Stop Woes... Homing issues.

Posted by cream 
End Stop Woes... Homing issues.
August 21, 2014 03:42PM
Hello everyone,

I am having a bit of trouble getting my end stops to work under repetier firmware and I am starting to run out of ideas. Here is what I have:

Delta printer setup of my own relative design. No point in mentioning that other than to let you know its not a kit. I have an azteeg X3 Pro for the controller. Steppers connected (what seems to be properly) to the X Y Z motor output. and endstops attached to the Xmin Ymin Zmin connectors. I have connected the end stops so that N.O. (Normally open) goes to the [ - ] pin for each and common goes to the respective MIN, nothing attached to any of the [ + ]. For troubleshooting purposes, I have pulled everything off of the actual printer and just have the whole setup on my desk, so there should not be any mechanical interference here. I have also replaced the cables for the end stops with very short (about 4-5 inch) cables. I have tested with a multimeter, that when the switches are closed, i get resistance. I do not get resistance when they are open, so I do not think i have any shorts. This is also my second set of switches, running into the same problem. So I assume/hope that would eliminate the possibility of all my switches being bad. They are however radioshack switches, so who knows.

Basically, what i am trying to do is just run repeteir host, i hit the home all or home z button and then press the switches to try to get the motors to stop. They do not, not any of them in any combination. Press one or all, no motors stop. This is not my understanding of how it should work.

I have gone through a slew of firmware combinations trying to get this to work. Finally I gave up and just tried the repetier configurator tool and so these are my latest settings based on that. Although mind you, still not working.

// ################ Endstop configuration #####################

#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_X_MIN true
#define ENDSTOP_X_MIN_INVERTING true
#define MIN_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_X true
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Y_MIN true
#define ENDSTOP_Y_MIN_INVERTING true
#define MIN_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Y true
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Z_MIN true
#define ENDSTOP_Z_MIN_INVERTING true
#define MIN_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Z true
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_X_MAX true
#define ENDSTOP_X_MAX_INVERTING false
#define MAX_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_X false
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Y_MAX true
#define ENDSTOP_Y_MAX_INVERTING false
#define MAX_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Y false
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Z_MAX true
#define ENDSTOP_Z_MAX_INVERTING false
#define MAX_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Z false
#define max_software_endstop_r true

#define min_software_endstop_x false
#define min_software_endstop_y false
#define min_software_endstop_z false
#define max_software_endstop_x true
#define max_software_endstop_y true
#define max_software_endstop_z true
#define ENDSTOP_X_BACK_MOVE 5
#define ENDSTOP_Y_BACK_MOVE 5
#define ENDSTOP_Z_BACK_MOVE 2
#define ENDSTOP_X_RETEST_REDUCTION_FACTOR 3
#define ENDSTOP_Y_RETEST_REDUCTION_FACTOR 3
#define ENDSTOP_Z_RETEST_REDUCTION_FACTOR 3
#define ENDSTOP_X_BACK_ON_HOME 1
#define ENDSTOP_Y_BACK_ON_HOME 1
#define ENDSTOP_Z_BACK_ON_HOME 0
#define ALWAYS_CHECK_ENDSTOPS 1

// ################# XYZ movements ###################

#define X_ENABLE_ON 0
#define Y_ENABLE_ON 0
#define Z_ENABLE_ON 0
#define DISABLE_X 0
#define DISABLE_Y 0
#define DISABLE_Z 0
#define DISABLE_E 0
#define INVERT_X_DIR 0
#define INVERT_Y_DIR 0
#define INVERT_Z_DIR 0
#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR 1
#define X_MAX_LENGTH 200
#define Y_MAX_LENGTH 200
#define Z_MAX_LENGTH 855
#define X_MIN_POS 0
#define Y_MIN_POS 0
#define Z_MIN_POS 0

Any ideas or help would be amazing.

One more note. I am using ethernet cable to wire up the end stops. Given that the resistance test is working, i did think that should be an issue. but maybe it is. I am going to switch it out with some 16g cable I bought to see if there is any difference in the mean time while i wait for some replies.

Thanks!
Re: End Stop Woes... Homing issues.
August 21, 2014 04:25PM
Couple things to add:

16AWG was too thick for the terminals, needed to use 18AWG...

I am using the M119 Gcode command in repetier host to test the signals of the end stops and I am infact getting the correct H and L readings for when the switches are either pressed or not. So i am really starting to think i have a firmware or software problem. Using R-Host for mac. I will probably try to boot into windows and try that instead soon.
August 21, 2014 08:01PM
So I think I have it figured out. Once i placed the endstops on the max pins (which was quite an ordeal, I had to steal some connectors off of some fans i have), it seems to work now. I still have to hook everything back up to the real printer and test again. But things are looking better.

Which leads me to a new question. Is there any way in configuration.h or in the host software to let the printer know that it wants to check the min pins for homing? I assume that I could rework things in pins.h to make this work if not.
August 22, 2014 02:34AM
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/deltabot/k10ernLi7LU

If you're wiring your endstops into the X3's min connectors, the nice locking ones, you'll need to change the pin assignments in pins.h. I forget what the min pin assignments are but if you search in the groups there's a message which says which the right ones are. You'd probably be better off wiring into the header pins behind the min pins. That way you won't have to remember to change pins.h everytime you grab a new copy of marlin.

I used the low pins, so I didn't have to move the screw terminals, but I'm using repetier and I had to swap the pin numbers in pins.h
#define X_MIN_PIN 3 = now is -1 to disable
#define X_MAX_PIN 2 = now is 3 to enable on the low pins on the board

All about delta 3d printers in one place [www.deltarap.org]
August 22, 2014 07:14AM
Repetier's web-based config builder prompts for what pins should be used on each endstop:

October 10, 2014 09:05AM
Hi, I have the same problem. Home built Rostock, Ramps 1.4, Arduino Mega2560, Mechanical endstops wired nc+c. All the motors move nicely and the endstops work using M119. They even respond for manual travel moves in Pronterface and Repetier. It's just when I press home, the endstops don't register and the motors overrun.
I've had this in Marlin and Repetier (latest versions) and with 2 different ramps boards and 2 different Arduinos.
This leads to think that It's a software setting common to both. I've manually changed the plugs on the board and tried both MIN and MAX pins. Also changed them over in pins.h. Tried changing the logic setting also.
So far nothing.

Did you manage to fix this?

I would love to know what this is.
October 10, 2014 11:49AM
Do you have extruder and hotend attached ?
Similar problems exist if you don't have extruder at least configured in the firmware and the thermistor attached.

All about delta 3d printers in one place [www.deltarap.org]
October 11, 2014 08:35AM
Yes. Hotend, hotbed and extruder are all attached.
October 17, 2014 12:51PM
SOLVED. Put jumpers on your min endstop pins.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login