Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Speed Problems with Full graphic Display

Posted by Protoprinter 
Speed Problems with Full graphic Display
December 01, 2014 12:26PM
Hi,
my Delta Printer is running fine without any Display with Pronterface connected. I tested Speed up to 80mm/s - fast enough for me at the Moment. I now installed the Geetech Full Graphic Display and run the same G-Code from SD Card. The printer is stuttering here and there, the Display has a bad influence on speed. What can you suggest: a smaller LCD 2004? Or better just run the SD-Card reader?
I don´t need amazing speed, but 100mm/s should be possible. I do use 200 segments per second on Arduino Mega/Ramps 1.4.

Thanks

Manu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2014 12:32PM by Protoprinter.

Deltadrucker, Tantillus Reborn by Toolson/Protoprinter, meine kommerzielle Webseite
Re: Speed Problems with Full graphic Display
December 01, 2014 07:16PM
This has been discussed ad nauseum several times in the past if you search the forum. An 8-bit Arduino doing Delta math and also running a full-graphics LCD is pushing the CPU to the redline. Repetier firmware's GLCD support is slightly better optimized, but your options are to either cut segments, drop microsteps, remove the GLCD, or buy a 32-bit controller. The 32-bit Azteeg X5 Mini running Smoothieware that I'm using is priced good for what it is, and doesn't have these problems. It will require making a custom cable to use the GLCD, but I'd never go back to an 8-bit controller after using it.....
December 02, 2014 12:17AM
Thanks, so you think I should stay away from any Display in Combination with the 8 bit Arduino? Or will the 2004 LCD work with a reasonable speed? I don´t want to change to a 32bit System now...

Manu

Deltadrucker, Tantillus Reborn by Toolson/Protoprinter, meine kommerzielle Webseite
December 02, 2014 06:59AM
I don't have any experience with the LCD-2004, and have not heard anyone linking it with slow/jerky performance. The underlying fact is that the 8-bit CPU is being taxed by the Delta math, so upgrading it to 32-bit is the best solution.....
December 02, 2014 11:32AM
Even the 2004 lcd has some lag in its interface when the arduino is doing delta math. However I have not had many issues with it causing problems with the actual printing. A 32bit cpu may be the only way we can increase speeds as it currently stands for delta. With that said I have not hit the wall on my ramps/arduino yet. I will soon enough though.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
December 02, 2014 02:24PM
Ok, I will activate it in firmware and looks how the printer behaves before I order a new one. It should not make any difference if the Display ist connected or not, right?

Manu

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login