Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level

Posted by Kasahabo 
Re: Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level
January 22, 2015 01:33AM
Hello everyone! I've finally put my kit back together with all the final modifications I wanted to do for it.

I have cut 5mm thick acrylic to fit on the top and right underneath the heatbed. They do make the whole construction more rigid. You can see that I reprinted the frames, because they cracked.
Some of you may know that I didn't use the original heatbed. I have a silicon heatbed that heats up a lot faster and even with fiberglass insulation sandwiched between the heatbed and the acrylic, it gets warm underneath it, so it makes sense to move the RAMPS on top. Of course, you have to extend the motor wirings. I still have to tidy up the wire a little bit more.

I had some leftover high density foams which I used to dampen the rods. They make the whole unit so much quieter.

I downloaded FSR mounts from thingiverse and modified it so it fits and holds the bed down securely. I am also using 16-teeth pulleys now and from the looks of it, it's working pretty good so far.

I've also printed better carriages, because I had to glue the ones that came with the kit, because they were broken, just to make it work the first time.

When I bought the kit, I wasn't really expecting something that I would put together with ease and with good quality parts. For the price that I paid for, I am content I got the linear rails that could be pretty expensive if you buy them somewhere else and the aluminum extrusions are of good quality. So a fair warning to someone who is interested, this is not a kit to buy if you just wanna build it once and never have to modify anything.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_7315.jpg (324 KB)
January 22, 2015 11:10AM
unnokeng
Hello everyone! I've finally put my kit back together with all the final modifications I wanted to do for it.
[attachment 47600 IMG_7314.jpg]
I have cut 5mm thick acrylic to fit on the top and right underneath the heatbed. They do make the whole construction more rigid. You can see that I reprinted the frames, because they cracked.
Some of you may know that I didn't use the original heatbed. I have a silicon heatbed that heats up a lot faster and even with fiberglass insulation sandwiched between the heatbed and the acrylic, it gets warm underneath it, so it makes sense to move the RAMPS on top. Of course, you have to extend the motor wirings. I still have to tidy up the wire a little bit more.
[attachment 47602 IMG_7316.jpg]
I had some leftover high density foams which I used to dampen the rods. They make the whole unit so much quieter.
[attachment 47603 IMG_7317.jpg]
I downloaded FSR mounts from thingiverse and modified it so it fits and holds the bed down securely. I am also using 16-teeth pulleys now and from the looks of it, it's working pretty good so far.
[attachment 47604 IMG_7319.jpg]
I've also printed better carriages, because I had to glue the ones that came with the kit, because they were broken, just to make it work the first time.
[attachment 47605 IMG_7320.jpg]
When I bought the kit, I wasn't really expecting something that I would put together with ease and with good quality parts. For the price that I paid for, I am content I got the linear rails that could be pretty expensive if you buy them somewhere else and the aluminum extrusions are of good quality. So a fair warning to someone who is interested, this is not a kit to buy if you just wanna build it once and never have to modify anything.

I like it! Very nice work. Yes, the kit is definitely not for everyone. It's a lot more fun ppl who have extra time and like to tinker. I make a few mods myself, not as extensive, but will post when I tighty up the wires. Your print looks awesome, PLA? Acrylic bed, did you cut that by hand or CNC it? Like that idea and will definitely try it on mine. Also, does your three axis motor get pretty warm? After 30min, mine's get pretty warm and I am concerned.
January 22, 2015 11:54AM
dnguyenai598
I like it! Very nice work. Yes, the kit is definitely not for everyone. It's a lot more fun ppl who have extra time and like to tinker. I make a few mods myself, not as extensive, but will post when I tighty up the wires. Your print looks awesome, PLA? Acrylic bed, did you cut that by hand or CNC it? Like that idea and will definitely try it on mine. Also, does your three axis motor get pretty warm? After 30min, mine's get pretty warm and I am concerned.

Yes, the prints are PLA. I tried printing with my carbon fiber ABS, but it kept clogging my extruder, even with 0.6mm tip. It was pretty tricky to print so I cave in and went with PLA. That wasn't an Acrylic bed. That is the original aluminum head bed with my silicon heatbed under it. I did cut all the acrylic by hand. I had an issue of the motors getting warm with the stepper drivers set at 0.7volts(this was set when I received my kit). I dialed it down to 0.6 volts. You just have to play with the driver voltages to see what works for you. Just make sure they are all of equal voltages. I tried going down to 0.4volts but they started missing steps at that setting. I do have the extruder set to 0.4volts though. With 0.6volts, the axis motors are staying pretty cool.
January 22, 2015 06:23PM
Hello everyone,

I got my Folger Teck Kossel kit and put it togetther, Flashed the FW and Installed Repetier Host everything seems to be working right I can manually move the
Print Head/ Extruder around and when I hit home it goes up hits the endstops and parks and waits for the next comand. The Filament feeds the Extruder heats
up and filament extrudes. But if I load a file like the 10mm Calibration Cube file it shows up but then when I hit print it goes from Idle to Print Process Complete.
This happens as soon as I click Print. I am new to 3D printers so any help would be greatly apprecited but remember I am new so please go easy on the
technical lingo. Looking forward to printing on this printer.

Thanks in advance
January 22, 2015 06:52PM
I am patiently waiting for my Kossel to ship. May I ask everyone how long was build time (from start to actual printing)? Sounds like everyone needs to spend a decent amount of time working through the unique 'kinks'.
January 22, 2015 08:09PM
iceman62
Hello everyone,

I got my Folger Teck Kossel kit and put it togetther, Flashed the FW and Installed Repetier Host everything seems to be working right I can manually move the
Print Head/ Extruder around and when I hit home it goes up hits the endstops and parks and waits for the next comand. The Filament feeds the Extruder heats
up and filament extrudes. But if I load a file like the 10mm Calibration Cube file it shows up but then when I hit print it goes from Idle to Print Process Complete.
This happens as soon as I click Print. I am new to 3D printers so any help would be greatly apprecited but remember I am new so please go easy on the
technical lingo. Looking forward to printing on this printer.

Thanks in advance
Did you slice the file first? You need to convert it into a g-code sequence which is what the firmware understands. I think I went through this a couple times my first time because I kept forgetting to slice the .stl files.
January 22, 2015 08:15PM
Plasticmonkey
I am patiently waiting for my Kossel to ship. May I ask everyone how long was build time (from start to actual printing)? Sounds like everyone needs to spend a decent amount of time working through the unique 'kinks'.
If you're pretty handy with allen wrenches and a soldering iron, I'd say you'll be able to build it within 5-7 hours. Just make sure you cut the carbon fiber rods to 250mm. The manual tells you to make the rods 224mm. This will limit your print space.
January 22, 2015 09:37PM
Thank You!!!!

I tried that and it started the print and printed a beautiful little bird's nest. I don't have it set to go all the way down to the hot bed yet I still have to get that part figured out. But just to actually see it do something was exciting.
Again unnokeng Thank you so much for your help....
January 22, 2015 10:07PM
iceman62
Thank You!!!!

I tried that and it started the print and printed a beautiful little bird's nest. I don't have it set to go all the way down to the hot bed yet I still have to get that part figured out. But just to actually see it do something was exciting.
Congrats! Care to share your configuration file for your firmware set up?

I'm close, but my printhead is going in the opposite X direction from the Repetier Host display. Tried inverting the X in the config, but inverted the X tower direction-- not the head direction. Had to reroute the hot end heater to D9 since D10 connectors broke and then just soldered the fan to D10. Finally got it all functioning right, except for the X direction and actual flow rate for the extruder feed.

I also used 5mm plywood for mount my hot bed after hearing stories about the acrylic mount, and to mount my circuit boards more securely. I used silicone spacers to elevate the hot bed a bit and add some cushioning.

Learning tons. Was hoping to have a test print cube by now, but also learning patience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2015 10:08PM by rtideas.
January 22, 2015 10:15PM
rtideas
iceman62
Thank You!!!!

Congrats! Care to share your configuration file for your firmware set up?

I'm close, but my printhead is going in the opposite X direction from the Repetier Host display. Tried inverting the X in the config, but inverted the X tower direction-- not the head direction. Had to reroute the hot end heater to D9 since D10 connectors broke and then just soldered the fan to D10. Finally got it all functioning right, except for the X direction and actual flow rate for the extruder feed.

I also used 5mm plywood for mount my hot bed after hearing stories about the acrylic mount, and to mount my circuit boards more securely. I used silicone spacers to elevate the hot bed a bit and add some cushioning.

Learning tons. Was hoping to have a test print cube by now, but also learning patience.

you just want a copy of the Arduiono Sketch?
January 22, 2015 10:23PM
iceman62
you just want a copy of the Arduiono Sketch?
Yes please. Want to compare my settings to see what's inverting the X.
Just the Configuration.h from the Repetier set up what I need.
January 23, 2015 01:05AM
Ok here is the one I am using and if you have the 2004 LCD this sketch has the settings in it also.
Attachments:
open | download - Folger_Kossel.zip (215.1 KB)
January 24, 2015 12:03AM
Excellent!

Thank you. Unfortunately, ill be gone for a week, so have to wait to try it.
January 26, 2015 12:04AM
Have the kinks been worked out with this kit yet?

Considering buying it for my first printer. I'm not above modification or tinkering, but I'd like to know the kit comes with everything needed. It seems there's a problem with the teeth count on the gears, did they reduce it to 20 or is this still an issue?

Does the firmware it comes with still need tinkering?
January 26, 2015 10:59AM
Cain
Have the kinks been worked out with this kit yet?

Considering buying it for my first printer. I'm not above modification or tinkering, but I'd like to know the kit comes with everything needed. It seems there's a problem with the teeth count on the gears, did they reduce it to 20 or is this still an issue?

Does the firmware it comes with still need tinkering?

As far as FW earlier I made a post with attached copy of the FW I am using and it is working fine for me ( you can click download and download a copy of it ).
Also that FW has the sketch for the 2004 LCD display in case you want to get one of those. I am printing using Repetier Host.
As far as the teeth on the gears I believe they are still sending the 36, I did not change mine but I don't seem to be having issues either.
The only thing is I haven't got the Auto Leveling to work yet and I order Glass for my print surface and will not have that for a couple more days.

The copy of FW I have came directly from Nate @ Folger Tech thru an email I didn't use the one from the Google site.
January 26, 2015 10:59AM
When i click on 1 mm down at the z-axis, it is moving 1.5 cm, so 150 times more? this is at 44.444 steps pr. mm.

Have i missed something ? (the motors are also a bit hot)
January 26, 2015 11:03AM
bjoernkarmann
When i click on 1 mm down at the z-axis, it is moving 1.5 cm, so 150 times more? this is at 44.444 steps pr. mm.

Have i missed something ? (the motors are also a bit hot)

That's actually 15 times more near enough to 16 which suggests you haven't fitted the 3 little jumpers under each of the Stepper driver boards (These are what make it do 16 microsteps instead of a full step per step command).

HTH

Doug
January 26, 2015 11:14AM
Oh!, i have forgot this! thank you so much! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2015 11:21AM by bjoernkarmann.
January 26, 2015 01:07PM
Has any experience the Extruder head cooling down after clicking Print?
Even with the Extruder Temp set in Repetier Host and under Slice config to 230 it still when I hit print goes down to like 196 and the eventully goes back up.
January 26, 2015 08:19PM
If anyone is using Curaworks to slice with if they could please export their settings to a file and upload it I would greatly appreciate it. I believe that
the Slic3r is causing the temp to drop when I hit print, even though I have change it in the Slic3r config file.

Thanks
January 27, 2015 11:29AM
Hey, i have a big problem. When i print in "dry mode" it works fine. But when i click the normal "print" it dosn't.
It goes to home but just keeps heating.

* The tempeture viewer freezes
* The Extruder is heading, and i know it is at 200
* I have reinstalled repeater again.

Does some one have a clue what could be wrong?
Attachments:
open | download - problem.jpg (155.8 KB)
January 27, 2015 09:04PM
I downloaded the config h file that's been posted, and discovered that it is the Marlin firmware. Does anyone have a functioning Repetier config h file? I'm close to finally getting my printer to work, and have made a mistake in the firmware someplace.
January 28, 2015 07:14AM
Hi folks,
Same issue with Kossel K800 Delta printer. Ether X or Y axes are inverted so any print come up mirrored. This is not big deal as perfect print could be generated by manually inverting every object in Repetier before slicing.
I have also tried different things to fix this issue.
Issue first came up when I switched to Repetier firmware, I had no issue with Marlin firmware. But I find Repetier firmware much better for fine tuning and calibrating for perfect prints.
I have tried to invert one of the axes connector, to invert axes in firmware, to invert middle wires in connector, in all of those cases axes are inverted but this also apply to Z which is not what I want.

If noone have found solution for this issue, then next stop is to modify repetier firmware source code.
January 28, 2015 07:49AM
Paxy
Hi folks,
Same issue with Kossel K800 Delta printer. Ether X or Y axes are inverted so any print come up mirrored. This is not big deal as perfect print could be generated by manually inverting every object in Repetier before slicing.
I have also tried different things to fix this issue.
Issue first came up when I switched to Repetier firmware, I had no issue with Marlin firmware. But I find Repetier firmware much better for fine tuning and calibrating for perfect prints.
I have tried to invert one of the axes connector, to invert axes in firmware, to invert middle wires in connector, in all of those cases axes are inverted but this also apply to Z which is not what I want.

If noone have found solution for this issue, then next stop is to modify repetier firmware source code.

Try posting this in the Repetier SubForum I am sure the Author of the software will see it and he will answer

Doug
January 28, 2015 10:34AM
bjoernkarmann
Hey, i have a big problem. When i print in "dry mode" it works fine. But when i click the normal "print" it dosn't.
It goes to home but just keeps heating.

* The tempeture viewer freezes
* The Extruder is heading, and i know it is at 200
* I have reinstalled repeater again.

Does some one have a clue what could be wrong?

I have the same issue. When I start the print it waits for the extruder to warm up, but the thermistor fails to report the temperature as it rises. My work around until I can find a fix has been to edit my G-Gode and remove the line “M109 S210 ; wait for temperature to be reached” then manually warm up the hot end and start the print.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 10:39AM by ceio.
January 28, 2015 07:16PM
Thanks, i will use that for now!, but i will also keep looking for the reason and let you know if i find something
January 29, 2015 04:14AM
dougal1957

Try posting this in the Repetier SubForum I am sure the Author of the software will see it and he will answer

Doug

I have reported this as Repetier firmware yesterday and very fast got answer that this is not a bug just switched X and Y motors
Just have switched X and Y motors on RAMPS (motor connectors and endstops) and mirroring problem was fixed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 04:17AM by Paxy.
February 02, 2015 09:01PM
Iceman62,
Oh. I see it is Marlin firmware. I've been using Repetier. Going to try a few more things with Repetier, first.
February 02, 2015 09:05PM
Anyone getting decent results with the included 36T pulleys? I got 20T ones that I'm thinking of using instead.
February 02, 2015 11:27PM
rtideas
Iceman62,
Oh. I see it is Marlin firmware. I've been using Repetier. Going to try a few more things with Repetier, first.

Are you getting anything to work in the Repetier FW like Auto Leveling or the LCD cause I could not get either to work under Repetier FW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login