Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level

Posted by Kasahabo 
Re: Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level
March 25, 2015 02:16PM
"Yeah sorry I thought I emailed everyone, we got the wrong TNUTS we ended up with 4mm ones instead of 3mm so I had to express ship replacements to us which should be here tomorrow and then we will get this thing out the door, its all pre packed and ready to go just waiting for the hardware."

This is the reason for the shipping delays everyone! Looks like mine will be shipped out tomorrow! smiling smiley
March 25, 2015 06:32PM
jculver09
This sounds very interesting greggo, any chance you could post up a couple pictures.

@3D52
I ordered my kit the first week in March. Before I did I asked about pulleys and they said it would come with 36 tooth, and that the change to 20 tooth had not happened yet (I think they are going to deplete their inventory before they change).

The correct width is 7mm for these pulleys.

EDIT: For those of you looking at ordering, seriously consider the expedited shipping. In hindsight I wish I would have picked a faster shipping.

[imgur.com]

heres the basic design, i can post up stl's if ya want
March 26, 2015 04:55PM
I have had an update on the shipping of my kit. Hopefully be here by next week. Also Dan mentioned these kits are shipping with 20T pulleys.
March 26, 2015 05:29PM
vorpal
I have had an update on the shipping of my kit. Hopefully be here by next week. Also Dan mentioned these kits are shipping with 20T pulleys.

Well darn I just ordered some 20T pulleys also some 16T.
March 27, 2015 12:09AM
vorpal

Ya same here finally on its way smiling smiley
March 27, 2015 12:51AM
Total newb here but how can you tell between 36 and 20 tooth? is it just counting them?
March 27, 2015 12:54AM
Yup, count the teeth.
March 27, 2015 10:31AM
Thanks for all of the replies regarding 20t v 36t pulleys and the position of the RAMPS board - much appreciated smileys with beer. I've happily been convinced that the only way to go is with the 20 tooth ones. Needless to say I ordered them straight away but it sounds like I should have held fire with this latest update from Folger Tech. Better to have two sets as oppose to none I guess smiling smiley
March 27, 2015 08:43PM
What are you guys using for bed adhesion?

PLA works great on a cold bed with blue painters tape--I used ACE hardware store's brand. Sticks almost too well. Better to waste tape than time on a failed print. Tried Blue Hawk's super wide tape from Lowe's. Prints kept popping off early. Too bad. Very wide tape and smoother surface. Tried blue painters tape from Big Lots cheap, but parts don't stick to it either.

Tried hairspray and a white glue (PVA) wash. Also, just a clean heated bed. Prints are not staying stuck over time on any of these alternatives.

Suggestions? What's been working for you?

Need a bed replacement for ABS since it won't heat over 85ÂșC. Dan from FolgerTech is taking care of me on this. For the price, this printer is still a great deal.
March 27, 2015 11:25PM
I modeled and uploaded to Thingiverse a power cord strain relief.

I was nervous how the power cord is just screwed to the power supply terminals. Pretty simple but effective.
Attachments:
open | download - cable holder.stl (288 KB)
open | download - cable strain relief.jpg (488.8 KB)
March 28, 2015 12:57AM
The manual currently states 230mm for the Diagonal rod assembly. I have seen various other recommened lengths thoughout the forum. Does someone know if there is there a formula for this dependant on the frame size?

Also is the 700mm height really requied? there seems to be a fair bit of space above the endstops not being utilised.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2015 12:58AM by vorpal.
March 28, 2015 01:16AM
vorpal
The manual currently states 230mm for the Diagonal rod assembly. I have seen various other recommened lengths thoughout the forum. Does someone know if there is there a formula for this dependant on the frame size?

Also is the 700mm height really requied? there seems to be a fair bit of space above the endstops not being utilised.

That extra space above the endstope gets used when you install 250mm diag rods. I get 200mm Diameter by 245mm height build with these. In reality, the 245mm height is only in the center of the bed as when you get towards the top, the build area becomes more cone shaped, as it is with all lenghts of rods. Along the edges of the build area, my build height is about 205 mm.
March 28, 2015 02:42PM
Here I seat and wait for my mail man to deliver my Kossel today, mean while I keep looking at the assembly Intructions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2015 02:43PM by vewdew34.
March 28, 2015 03:46PM
Finally its here.
Attachments:
open | download - 20150328_151329.jpg (520.1 KB)
open | download - 20150328_151343.jpg (468 KB)
open | download - 20150328_151921.jpg (571.2 KB)
March 28, 2015 04:00PM
Like Vorpal stated about kit shipping with 20T pulleys thats right thats what I got in mine.

So if you plan getting one dont buy 20T pulleys unless you want spares.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2015 04:08PM by vewdew34.
March 28, 2015 05:59PM
At least we know there into March orders. Hopefully mine will make it to Texas in the next week or so....
March 28, 2015 08:18PM
mmcginnis9272
vorpal

That extra space above the endstope gets used when you install 250mm diag rods. I get 200mm Diameter by 245mm height build with these. In reality, the 245mm height is only in the center of the bed as when you get towards the top, the build area becomes more cone shaped, as it is with all lenghts of rods. Along the edges of the build area, my build height is about 205 mm.

Is it the total length you have at 250mm or just the carbon rod itself? Are the rails raised an additional 20mm to compensate for the additional length?
March 28, 2015 08:21PM
3D52
At least we know there into March orders. Hopefully mine will make it to Texas in the next week or so....

I ordered mine on Feb 28, 2015 and got it today 1 month later
March 28, 2015 11:02PM
vorpal
mmcginnis9272
vorpal

Is it the total length you have at 250mm or just the carbon rod itself? Are the rails raised an additional 20mm to compensate for the additional length?

250mm from the center of the pivot hole to center of pivot hole.
This allows you to raise the slide rails and the end stops up to the top of the columns.
March 29, 2015 12:26AM
I calculated mine using the spreadsheet from Jaydmdigital's github and set mine to 272mm (271.6mm) to hit 198.2 diameter. My actual vertical is now just a bit over 200mm. But when/if I rebuild it, I can move the rails up and gain about 30-35mm in height. And possibly another 20mm if I lower the bed with a custom mount. I added springs so I can manually level the bed. Haven't maxed out the height with anything, yet.

The spreadsheet got me dreaming about a 3030 framed, 1.5M tall by 0.75 M wide AND 0.8mm nozzle. pipe dream for now. No real need. Just a good sized monster. Build volume of 458mm diameter and 590mm vertical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2015 05:45PM by rtideas.
March 29, 2015 05:37PM
Hi, I'm new to 3D printing, this will be my first printer can't wait for it to get here!
I ordered my Kossel from Folger tech on March 10... I emailed on about the 25th and by the 27th they emailed me back and said that -they received the wrong T nuts - and that there was 16 orders in front of me -and my order should ship by the end of next week (today is the 1st day of the week -so end of this week I guess) just a headsupdate for those of you also waiting...

Also, I was planning on building this "stock" like it was intended in the build guide... but I'm concerned about the carbon fiber rods... - I like that they leave you the option of the rod length by having you cut and assemble but, this thread seems to be the only resource I can find that mentions the rod length and build area... I need to have somewhat of a grasp of hows and whys of the rods to build area ratio or I wont be able to cut my rods happily...

the link to the spreadsheet posted by rtideas was 'page not found' for me... Does anybody have this link or some more insight into the push rod dimensions?
March 29, 2015 06:15PM
I have attached the calculatot mentioned in the previous email.

Also worth looking into the firmware configuration file to gain more insight.
Attachments:
open | download - Kossel frame calculator.xlsx (3.8 KB)
March 29, 2015 06:20PM
Flish
Hi, I'm new to 3D printing, this will be my first printer can't wait for it to get here!
I ordered my Kossel from Folger tech on March 10... I emailed on about the 25th and by the 27th they emailed me back and said that -they received the wrong T nuts - and that there was 16 orders in front of me -and my order should ship by the end of next week (today is the 1st day of the week -so end of this week I guess) just a headsupdate for those of you also waiting...

Also, I was planning on building this "stock" like it was intended in the build guide... but I'm concerned about the carbon fiber rods... - I like that they leave you the option of the rod length by having you cut and assemble but, this thread seems to be the only resource I can find that mentions the rod length and build area... I need to have somewhat of a grasp of hows and whys of the rods to build area ratio or I wont be able to cut my rods happily...

the link to the spreadsheet posted by rtideas was 'page not found' for me... Does anybody have this link or some more insight into the push rod dimensions?

Link fixed. Oops.

Cutting the rods too short gives you a taller volume, but reduces horizontal reach. I tried to keep mine stock, but saw early folks had issues with 36-tooth pulleys and short rod lengths not reaching the full edges of the bed.

I wish they'd use m3x20 set screws instead of having to hack down the threaded rod. If/when i build another one, this should shave off a 1/2 to one hour of Dremel work and futzing with getting then screwed into the ball joints. could then use a hex wrench to screw into the ball joints.
March 31, 2015 08:37AM
Mine gets delivered tomorrow! smiling smiley
March 31, 2015 08:53AM
Got my kit in the mail yesterday evening and everything looks in order.

After sorting out the hardware bag my son and I started the build using the V2 instructions on the google drive site. For putting the base together (stepper and base extrusion assembly), 8MM length screws are called for. However, there are only 30 8MM screws in the hardware bag per the inventory list, The base alone uses 36 screws. Looks like the 10mm screws which there are 90 screws would work. I dont see 10mm screws called out in the instructions . The big question is there places later in the build where only 8MM screws will fit?
March 31, 2015 09:01AM
kirkm

After sorting out the hardware bag my son and I started the build using the V2 instructions on the google drive site. For putting the base together (stepper and base extrusion assembly), 8MM length screws are called for. However, there are only 30 8MM screws in the hardware bag per the inventory list, The base alone uses 36 screws. Looks like the 10mm screws which there are 90 screws would work. I dont see 10mm screws called out in the instructions . The big question is there places later in the build where only 8MM screws will fit?

My guess is they shorted you 6 screws. I found the 8mm screws very difficult to use as they were just barely long enough. Maybe Folger decided to substitute 10mm screws instead. If I were you, I'd use the 8mm on the base and use the 10's on the top. In the case that you end up needing a shorter one, you can always thread on a nut, then dremel the end off to the length you need. Then back the nut off to straighten the threads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2015 06:34AM by mmcginnis9272.
March 31, 2015 11:53AM
Kirkm, when did you order your kit?

Trying to get an idea on shipping delay right now. Oh how I wish they would update their blog or facebook or something to keep us in the loop.

kirkm
March 31, 2015 12:32PM
Ordered March 2nd, off their website. It was about a week later than projected.

Like others, it was stuck waiting for hardware for almost a week.
March 31, 2015 03:12PM
On Folger Tech website it says 10 day delay, on the ebay site it says 20 days. I emailed Dan with some questions last night and he said there was up to 20 day shipping delay, they have hired more people to try to catch up.
I ordered mine on 18 March, so I look to get it around Mid April.

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2015 03:22PM by 3D52.
April 01, 2015 02:06PM
They dropped the price on ebay: 389.00
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login