Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level

Posted by Kasahabo 
Re: Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level
April 21, 2015 01:08PM
Koenig
I have serious problem with 2 of my rails, I've spent one and a half big bottle of WD40 to get the to run smooth, I've spent 3 hours just running them back and forth while spraying WD40.
I've bathed them in WD40 running them back and forth and still no luck, looking at the backside of the carriages I can see that one side is missing balls in the bearing (on the two I've got problems with).I

s this common? do you guys have missing balls?

So you used a solvent or water displacement product in your ball bearings on a linear rail and you are complaining that you cannot get them smooth? Most likely you are missing the bearings now due to them failing on the WD40 you squirted in it. Go to the store and buy some gun oil and stop using crap products. WD40 is not a lubricant, never has been and never will, it is a solvent that strips grease and rust. Using it in a bearing will destroy them over time as you are REMOVING the lubrication in the bearings, not adding it. Can WD40 be Used as a Bearing Lubricant?. Anyone telling anyone else to use WD40 as a lubricant does not know what they are talking about. I grabbed the same gun oil I used to lubricate my AR15 and after 10 minutes of cleaning with a qtip, they are perfectly smooth and grit free.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 01:09PM by thevisad.
April 21, 2015 01:12PM
Wittmason
A nice clean way to fix the extrusion system is to get a new hotend throat. The one inside the fake E3D has ptfe tubing in it. You won't be able to get beyond 240c with that hotend in its current state. I got this hotend throat

Hotend throat replacement for E3D knockoffs. 2mm ID for higher temp. usage. by nScaleRail, on Flickr

ebay link to hotend throat I took the old throat out and used it on the extruder.

The extruder included in the kit was built to be attached to a hotend and so to get it to work right you need to mimic that same style layout.

Fix extruder issues on Folger Tech Kossel. by nScaleRail

Fix extruder issues on Folger Tech Kossel. by nScaleRail, on Flickr

P.s. One other note on extruding with this kit. It appears the ptfe tube is the 1.8mm diameter style. So it you have larger filement (say on the 1.77mm size) the tube will be very tight. I replaced the tube with 2mm ID tube, now things are moving better..

I hope this tip helps some.
Tim

Awesome post Tim and explains the issues we are seeing with that block.
April 21, 2015 01:16PM
thevisad
Koenig
I have serious problem with 2 of my rails, I've spent one and a half big bottle of WD40 to get the to run smooth, I've spent 3 hours just running them back and forth while spraying WD40.
I've bathed them in WD40 running them back and forth and still no luck, looking at the backside of the carriages I can see that one side is missing balls in the bearing (on the two I've got problems with).I

So you used a solvent or water displacement product in your ball bearings on a linear rail and you are complaining that you cannot get them smooth? Most likely you are missing the bearings now due to them failing on the WD40 you squirted in it. Go to the store and buy some gun oil and stop using crap products. WD40 is not a lubricant, never has been and never will, it is a solvent that strips grease and rust. Using it in a bearing will destroy them over time as you are REMOVING the lubrication in the bearings, not adding it. Can WD40 be Used as a Bearing Lubricant?. Anyone telling anyone else to use WD40 as a lubricant does not know what they are talking about. I grabbed the same gun oil I used to lubricate my AR15 and after 10 minutes of cleaning with a qtip, they are perfectly smooth and grit free.

I don't think anyone here has ever recommended using WD-40 as a lubricant. I did and still do recommend using it to clean out the rails, as this is a perfect use for WD-40. Then I, as well as others have recommended lubricating the rails with some kind of oil. I personally use 5w30 synthetic motor oil.
April 21, 2015 01:18PM
mmcginnis9272
thevisad
Koenig

I don't think anyone here has ever recommended using WD-40 as a lubricant. I did and still do recommend using it to clean out the rails, as this is a perfect use for WD-40. Then I, as well as others have recommended lubricating the rails with some kind of oil. I personally use 5w30 synthetic motor oil.

Correct, using it to clean out the rails is fine, for a few moments. Clean them, run a rag down it, lubricate them. Running the bearings across the steel without lubrication will damage them, so it is best to not do this too often. I am having a rough day at work and that came out harsher then I meant.

I stopped using WD40 20+ years ago and switched to SPO and recently came across Kroil and I absolutely love it in replacement of WD40, but it stinks to high heaven.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 02:07PM by thevisad.
April 21, 2015 02:06PM
thevisad
mmcginnis9272
thevisad
Koenig

Correct, using it to clean out the rails is fine, for a few moments. Clean them, run a rag down it, lubricate them. Running the bearings across the steel without lubrication will damage them, so it is best to not do this too often. I am having a rough day at work and that came out harsher then I meant.

Exactly what I did and in between the rounds of WD40 I used white lithium grease (from CRC) to try to get them smooth, still I don't think there should be any missing balls....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 02:09PM by Koenig.
April 21, 2015 02:11PM
Koenig
thevisad
mmcginnis9272
thevisad
Koenig

Exactly what I did and in between the rounds of WD40 I used lithium grease to try to get them smooth, still I don't think there should be any missing balls....

No there should not be, reach out to Folger, they will take care of you for it. I would stay away from lithium grease, that's too thick. You want machinist oil (that little orange oil can your grandpa had), any decent gun oil or motor oil will work. The stuff I use is top notch and overkill, but I bought more then I needed for my guns so why not. The difference is night and day really.
April 21, 2015 02:33PM
thevisad
Koenig
thevisad
mmcginnis9272
thevisad
Koenig

Exactly what I did and in between the rounds of WD40 I used lithium grease to try to get them smooth, still I don't think there should be any missing balls....

No there should not be, reach out to Folger, they will take care of you for it. I would stay away from lithium grease, that's too thick. You want machinist oil (that little orange oil can your grandpa had), any decent gun oil or motor oil will work. The stuff I use is top notch and overkill, but I bought more then I needed for my guns so why not. The difference is night and day really.

A little hard to see, but you can get the hint of it.

And the lithium fat is what makes the balls not look smooth.

I'll get in touch with Folger and see if they can send me some new ones.
Attachments:
open | download - Carriages.jpg (282.2 KB)
April 21, 2015 02:35PM
Koenig
thevisad
Koenig
thevisad
mmcginnis9272
thevisad
Koenig

ouch, yup looks like you are missing three should look like this Sample
April 21, 2015 03:08PM
I sent them a mail.

Still think it's strange, 2 out of 3.....

Just to wait and see then I suppose.

EDIT: From that sample you linked to it sure looked like they used a rather thick grease... smileys with beer
And from what I know from cars motorbikes the ball bearings there use real thick grease as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 03:16PM by Koenig.
April 21, 2015 03:11PM
ok, I could use a lot of help. I have my kit all put together but i can't get any prints. I have used printrun and cura but i get the same results. the printer will heat up and then probe the bed and then retract the probe. after this the hole thing stops and will not do anything. attached is my configuration.h and i am using the start gcode provided by FolgerTech. How are people mounting the ramps? If i follow the instructions i cant use the usb port.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (25.1 KB)
April 21, 2015 03:50PM
Koenig
I sent them a mail.

Still think it's strange, 2 out of 3.....

Just to wait and see then I suppose.

EDIT: From that sample you linked to it sure looked like they used a rather thick grease... smileys with beer
And from what I know from cars motorbikes the ball bearings there use real thick grease as well.

Yeah, I noticed the grease in that as well, definitely a lot heavier then I would use. I think the one I linked you was for a really heavy machine/load.
April 21, 2015 03:59PM
thevisad
Koenig
thevisad
Koenig
thevisad
mmcginnis9272
thevisad
Koenig

ouch, yup looks like you are missing three should look like this Sample

I'm sure Folger will take care of the issue, but it might be worth your time to buy 3 ball bearings at the local hardware store if you can determine the size of them. The True Value store by me has metric and SAE ball bearings in all different sizes. I'm sure they are metric. But then again, I'm an impatient person.
April 21, 2015 04:14PM
gaddcasey1
ok, I could use a lot of help. I have my kit all put together but i can't get any prints. I have used printrun and cura but i get the same results. the printer will heat up and then probe the bed and then retract the probe. after this the hole thing stops and will not do anything. attached is my configuration.h and i am using the start gcode provided by FolgerTech. How are people mounting the ramps? If i follow the instructions i cant use the usb port.

I had to add a standoff bushing of about 1/2 inch thick between the mount bracket and the RAMPS to lower it enough for me to feed the USB cable between the 2 horizontal rails and have it plug into the port.

Can you post the real-time log file from Cura or Repetier Host for us to look at? Make sure as much data as possible is written to the file. In Repetier Host, goto Config, Preferences, Basic settings and then turn on logging.
I don't know how to do this in Cura and PrintRun as I don't use this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 04:15PM by mmcginnis9272.
April 21, 2015 04:21PM
mmcginnis9272
I'm sure Folger will take care of the issue, but it might be worth your time to buy 3 ball bearings at the local hardware store if you can determine the size of them. The True Value store by me has metric and SAE ball bearings in all different sizes. I'm sure they are metric. But then again, I'm an impatient person.

I'm from Sweden so finding a store that has metric items shouldn't be an issue smiling bouncing smiley (The only things not metric here are US cars and Harley's)

But I have never seen anyone who stocks loose ball bearing-balls, and disassembling a ball bearing for measuring wouldn't make me very popular I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 04:22PM by Koenig.
April 21, 2015 04:44PM
I was interested in delivery times to Canada when I placed by order and didn't find much - so here is my information.

Shipping information from Folger Tech to Toronto Ontario.

Order placed: April 1 2015
Shipping notification: April 13 2015
UPS pickup: April 17, 2015
Delivered: April 21, 2015

I don't know the duty cost (if any) at this point. I suspect UPS will bill me.
April 21, 2015 07:24PM
I only had 2 out of 3 working rails as well. I sent them an email and they shipped me out the next business day. Folger is really working hard on good customer service all. I have an example of poor customer service and it isn't from Folger.

Tim
April 21, 2015 08:08PM
mmcginnis9272
gaddcasey1

I had to add a standoff bushing of about 1/2 inch thick between the mount bracket and the RAMPS to lower it enough for me to feed the USB cable between the 2 horizontal rails and have it plug into the port.

Can you post the real-time log file from Cura or Repetier Host for us to look at? Make sure as much data as possible is written to the file. In Repetier Host, goto Config, Preferences, Basic settings and then turn on logging.

Send: N18G1 X-13.200 Y-13.200 E2.68742*118
Recv: ok T:218.2 /220.0 B:89.0 /90.0 T0:218.2 /220.0 @:121 B@:127
Send: N19G1 X13.200 Y-13.200 E3.12645*80
Recv: ok
Send: N20G1 X13.200 Y13.200 E3.56549*120
Send: N21G1 F2400 E-0.93451*55
Send: N22G0 F9000 X9.400 Y9.400*87
Send: N23G1 F2400 E3.56549*26
Recv: Error:No Checksum with line number, Last Line: 13
Recv: Resend: 14
Send: N14G1 X13.600 Y-13.600 E1.35701*91
Recv: Error:Line Number is not Last Line Number+1, Last Line: 13
Send: N15G1 X13.600 Y13.600 E1.80935*112
Communication timeout during printing, forcing a line
Send: M105 T0
Changing monitoring state from 'Printing' to 'Operational'
Serial timeout while writing to serial port, trying again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 08:55PM by gaddcasey1.
April 21, 2015 10:43PM
So do people recommend these printers from folgertech? What are some recommended upgrades for it?
April 21, 2015 11:04PM
jprochnow
So do people recommend these printers from folgertech? What are some recommended upgrades for it?

At the moment I am not happy with them, I have had this thing for a month and still cant get it to print anything. But this is still cheaper than sourcing your own parts.
April 22, 2015 12:03AM
What seems to be the problem with it? It really is cheaper than sourrcing your own parts. Even if you replace the weak motors and add the flange bearings and maybe a real e3d hotend it would be a great unit for the money.
April 22, 2015 12:12AM
jprochnow
What seems to be the problem with it? It really is cheaper than sourrcing your own parts. Even if you replace the weak motors and add the flange bearings and maybe a real e3d hotend it would be a great unit for the money.

my printed parts where not the best and customer support takes a long time to help you.
April 22, 2015 12:14AM
gaddcasey1
jprochnow

At the moment I am not happy with them, I have had this thing for a month and still cant get it to print anything. But this is still cheaper than sourcing your own parts.

Not really, I have gotten the parts list down to about 285$ now for the entire printer. Once you know where to go, you can order all the parts very quickly.
April 22, 2015 12:56AM
thevisad
Not really, I have gotten the parts list down to about 285$ now for the entire printer. Once you know where to go, you can order all the parts very quickly.
Care to share where do you go? Linear rails? Better motors? Extrusions? AliExpress?
April 22, 2015 01:26AM
rtideas
thevisad
Care to share where do you go? Linear rails? Better motors? Extrusions? AliExpress?

I've been thinking about better motors aswell plus these: [folger-technologies-llc.myshopify.com]
They are supposed to a bit better than the ones that comes with the kit, and I'm thinking better (bigger) motors will run cooler.
April 22, 2015 01:46AM
rtideas
thevisad

Ebay, Alibaba, Misumi, igus, McMaster. It took 3 months of digging and buying parts to get the right part numbers, etc. While you may be able to source this cheaper, I cannot applaud Folgertech more for putting it together and supporting it the way they have. I understand a few people have had issues with support, but so far it's been top notch. I think it was money well spent. Any future printers I will source myself, but I was glad to have gotten the kit from Folger and do not regret it.
April 22, 2015 01:48AM
Koenig
rtideas
thevisad

I've been thinking about better motors aswell plus these: [folger-technologies-llc.myshopify.com]
They are supposed to a bit better than the ones that comes with the kit, and I'm thinking better (bigger) motors will run cooler.

I was thinking the same thing myself and ordered these a couple of days ago to give them a shot.
April 22, 2015 02:32AM
rtideas
thevisad

Dont forget to factor in your TIME for doing all of that. I personally value my time at $40 an hour if its work hours, and at $100 an hour if its family time. I spent 30 minutes and realised the time I would need to invest to beat their price was not worth it for me.

jprochnow

I ordered their kit and I love it. I printed a 20cm tall gnome the other day for a co-worker who has a makerbot, he could not stop commenting how it looks better than what he can make (and now I wished I had taken pictures). I printed it at .1mm layer height and it took FOREVER, but came out really nice.

At the time I had not done any mods, but currently I am in the middle of installing magnetic effector and carriages as well as switching to a 250mm borosilicate build plate with no heater for now.
April 22, 2015 06:20AM
gaddcasey1
mmcginnis9272
gaddcasey1

Send: N18G1 X-13.200 Y-13.200 E2.68742*118
Send: N19G1 X13.200 Y-13.200 E3.12645*80
Send: N20G1 X13.200 Y13.200 E3.56549*120
Send: N21G1 F2400 E-0.93451*55
Send: N22G0 F9000 X9.400 Y9.400*87
Send: N23G1 F2400 E3.56549*26
Recv: Error:No Checksum with line number, Last Line: 13
Recv: Error:Line Number is not Last Line Number+1, Last Line: 13
Send: N15G1 X13.600 Y13.600 E1.80935*112
Changing monitoring state from 'Printing' to 'Operational'
Serial timeout while writing to serial port, trying again.

I'll openly admit that I know nothing about the inner workings of the Marlin firmware, but it is looks like you are having a communications and/or timeout issue.

If you have an LCD screen, can you try loading your gcode file in that and printing directly from the SD card?

A Google search reveals that your issue is a known issue. You might try another USB cable and/or use another USB port or try adding in a powered USB hub.

Might be a Marlin Firmware bug. You might try the Cura firmware, just to see what happens. Might even be a weak Arduino board. I'm just guessing.

On an Octoprint forum, they mention setting "Swallow the first OK" setting as a possible solution, but I don't know if your host software has an equivalant setting.
April 22, 2015 09:03AM
gaddcasey1
How are people mounting the ramps? If i follow the instructions i cant use the usb port.
I drilled another hole in the acrylic and turned the RAMPS 90 degrees. Secured the long screws to the acrylic with locknuts, then added acrylic washers under the RAMPS.

April 22, 2015 09:25AM
jculver09
Dont forget to factor in your TIME for doing all of that. I personally value my time at $40 an hour if its work hours, and at $100 an hour if its family time. I spent 30 minutes and realised the time I would need to invest to beat their price was not worth it for me.

That's why I specified I spent 3 months doing this, it is seriously a time consuming process. I actually charge 100$ an hour work time for onsite IT work, that is what I value my time at. For my team, it was a requirement, we have designed our own printer and we want a product we can put our name on, not regurgitating the existing lines. We have now gotten to a point where there are no longer non name brand mechanical products in our printer (in other words Chinese parts) and everything is sourced from America/Germany instead. Later this year we will have our own electronics for the printer that we are designing ourselves, so the ramps systems will be replaced.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login