Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level

Posted by Kasahabo 
Re: Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level
April 22, 2015 11:47AM
You can mount the ramps board anywhere you want. If you use a usb extension cable then the ramps can go where ever. You will need to get some new stepper wire bundles that are longer but those are relatively easy to come by.
April 22, 2015 01:10PM
Deguello
gaddcasey1
How are people mounting the ramps? If i follow the instructions i cant use the usb port.
I drilled another hole in the acrylic and turned the RAMPS 90 degrees. Secured the long screws to the acrylic with locknuts, then added acrylic washers under the RAMPS.

I mounted the way folgertech specified and just bought a right angle USB cable winking smiley
April 22, 2015 03:49PM
after auto level the printer starts 10mm above bed, how do I fix?
April 22, 2015 04:11PM
gaddcasey1
What values do you have for Z_PROBE_OFFSET in configuration.h?

In mine:
#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET {-29.35, 18, -2.8, 0}

-29.5 means the probe is 29.5mm to the left of the hotend
18 means it's 18mm behind the hotend (toward the Z tower)
-2.8 means the probe is 2.8mm lower than the hotend

All of these numbers are when the probe is deployed with M280 P0 S5.
April 22, 2015 09:08PM
Deguello
gaddcasey1
What values do you have for Z_PROBE_OFFSET in configuration.h?

In mine:
#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET {-29.35, 18, -2.8, 0}

-29.5 means the probe is 29.5mm to the left of the hotend
18 means it's 18mm behind the hotend (toward the Z tower)
-2.8 means the probe is 2.8mm lower than the hotend

All of these numbers are when the probe is deployed with M280 P0 S5.

Is this with the extruder that came with the kit? those values seem too big.
April 22, 2015 09:22PM
gaddcasey1
Those values are measured for my setup. You should measure and enter your own values.
April 22, 2015 09:39PM
Deguello
gaddcasey1
Those values are measured for my setup. You should measure and enter your own values.

Is there any way to probe an exact point to test my measurements?
April 22, 2015 09:52PM
gaddcasey1
Assuming your Z max is set so that a piece of paper just drags at Z0:

G1 F4000 X0Y0Z10 ; stop 10mm above the bed
M280 P0 S5 ; deploy the probe

Use the -Z button in Pronterface (or whatever you use) to lower a little at a time, alternating with M119 to show the endstop states.

SENDING:M119
Reporting endstop status
x_max: TRIGGERED
y_max: TRIGGERED
z_min: open
z_max: TRIGGERED

When the probe gets close, start lowering 0.1mm at a time until you see z_min: TRIGGERED. At that point issue M114 to report the current position. Make the Z value negative and put it in the 3rd position of Z_PROBE_OFFSET.

Next, make a pencil mark directly under the extruder, then jog X and Y until the probe switch is on your mark. Use M114 again to get those offsets. Just remember to negate the X value if your probe is to the left of the extruder, and negate the Y value if it is in front (away from the Z tower).
April 23, 2015 04:07AM
Deguello
gaddcasey1
Assuming your Z max is set so that a piece of paper just drags at Z0:

G1 F4000 X0Y0Z10 ; stop 10mm above the bed
M280 P0 S5 ; deploy the probe

Use the -Z button in Pronterface (or whatever you use) to lower a little at a time, alternating with M119 to show the endstop states.

SENDING:M119
Reporting endstop status
x_max: TRIGGERED
y_max: TRIGGERED
z_min: open
z_max: TRIGGERED

When the probe gets close, start lowering 0.1mm at a time until you see z_min: TRIGGERED. At that point issue M114 to report the current position. Make the Z value negative and put it in the 3rd position of Z_PROBE_OFFSET.

Next, make a pencil mark directly under the extruder, then jog X and Y until the probe switch is on your mark. Use M114 again to get those offsets. Just remember to negate the X value if your probe is to the left of the extruder, and negate the Y value if it is in front (away from the Z tower).

thanks for your help, but my prints are still starting 10mm above the bed.
April 23, 2015 09:50AM
gaddcasey1
...10mm above the bed.
Run M503 and post the response.
smiling smiley Re: Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level
April 23, 2015 10:24PM
Things may be looking up! I ordered a kossel kit 4/11, and got confirmation (live tracking with UPS) of shipping today. 12 days turnaround, not too shabby! Hopefully, nothing will be missing . . .

- Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2015 10:25PM by tadawson.
April 24, 2015 12:56AM
Deguello
gaddcasey1
...10mm above the bed.

SENDING:M503
echoconfused smileyD init fail
echoconfused smileyteps per unit:
echo: M92 X44.44 Y44.44 Z44.44 E100.00
echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
echo: M203 X300.00 Y300.00 Z300.00 E300.00
echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
echo: M201 X1000 Y1000 Z1000 E1000
echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
echo: M204 S3000.00 T3000.00
echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s), Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s), E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
echo: M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z20.00 E20.00
echo:Home offset (mm):
echo: M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
echotongue sticking out smileyID settings:
echo: M301 P22.20 I1.08 D114.00
April 24, 2015 07:49AM
rotten_carrot
Finally we have lift-off - atleast in a postal sense. Placed my order on the 23rd March through ebay. To my surprise, Shipping notice issued on the 8th April and would you believe it today it's on the move..........

Just thought that I would share my ordering timescale incase it's helpful to someone spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Arrived in the UK on the 14th April, customs clearance on the 16th and payment requested (works out as VAT plus an £8 handling fee) via a letter through my door on the 18th. Fees paid and happily delivered yesterday smiling bouncing smiley

Well, it was just like Christmas. So far screws sorted, bags opened, linear slides sniffed and a good time had all round. The box was in decent enough condition, considering its journey, on the outside but more more importantly was fine on the inside. Everything would appear to be there by my reckoning though two of the printed parts were not as good as the rest but I'm sure will still do the job (possibly I'm being over crytical).

Let the fun and frustration begin................................thumbs up
April 24, 2015 09:25AM
gaddcasey1
Deguello
gaddcasey1
...10mm above the bed.

SENDING:M503

The only thing I see vastly different from my setup is:

echo: M92 X44.44 Y44.44 Z44.44 E100.00

Mine shows:

echo: M92 X84.00 Y84.00 Z84.00 E141.75

Defined in configuration.h like this:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {189/2.25, 189/2.25, 189/2.25, 141.75}
April 24, 2015 11:43AM
rotten_carrot
rotten_carrot
Finally we have lift-off - atleast in a postal sense. Placed my order on the 23rd March through ebay. To my surprise, Shipping notice issued on the 8th April and would you believe it today it's on the move..........

Just thought that I would share my ordering timescale incase it's helpful to someone spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Arrived in the UK on the 14th April, customs clearance on the 16th and payment requested (works out as VAT plus an £8 handling fee) via a letter through my door on the 18th. Fees paid and happily delivered yesterday smiling bouncing smiley

Well, it was just like Christmas. So far screws sorted, bags opened, linear slides sniffed and a good time had all round. The box was in decent enough condition, considering its journey, on the outside but more more importantly was fine on the inside. Everything would appear to be there by my reckoning though two of the printed parts were not as good as the rest but I'm sure will still do the job (possibly I'm being over crytical).

my printed parts where vary bad, spent hours sanding them so they would fit together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2015 11:44AM by gaddcasey1.
April 24, 2015 11:47AM
gaddcasey1
rotten_carrot
rotten_carrot

my printed parts where vary bad, spent hours sanding them so they would fit together.

Look at your software/extruder... I replaced both of those and my prints are super fine quality now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2015 11:48AM by thevisad.
April 24, 2015 11:50AM
How do you properly correct kossel flatness? I can paper test the center but it will crash into the bed on the sides of the bed when i do a g1 y85xx.
April 24, 2015 11:54AM
gaddcasey1
How do you properly correct kossel flatness? I can paper test the center but it will crash into the bed on the sides of the bed when i do a g1 y85xx.
Here's a good place to start: http://delta-calibration.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/
April 24, 2015 12:01PM
Update: My mega/ramps decided to take a dive on me. It was doing all sorts of weird things, powering off randomly, refusing to communicate, the extruder motor axis kept reversing on power cycles and lately the motors started going upwards when doing any movement. Simply hitting the .01 extrude option in Simplify3d would cause the motors to ram the rail blocks into the stops and try force them upwards before reversing and heading down. Simplify3d stated there was a CRC issue with communication and the Arduino IDE indicated that there was an issue in programming the device. I reached out to Folgertech prior to the total meltdown since it looked like I had a motor issue at first. They asked me to do some diagnostics (totally 100% acceptable, they are not present to see the issues). I tested all of the parts an during the testing is when it started forcing the motors into the end stops. I removed the RAMPS/Mega and inserted my spare Sainsmart Mega/RAMPS unit, configured them and immediately started printing. When I let Dan over at Folgertech know, they immediately shipped me out a replacement 2nd day.

So to reiterate my experience with Folgertech so far, I am huge on customer service and I believe it is something that can make or break a company. To me, Folgertech has done an amazing job in all aspects at this point.

Ordered: March 2nd, 2015
Ship Notice: March 18th, 2015
Received: March 30th, 2015
Problem with thermistor/servo: notified, 2 hour response, next day ship 2nd day air.
Problem with Motor/Ramps: notified 1.5 hour response, next day ship 2nd day air.
April 24, 2015 05:14PM
When building my arms, I noticed that the ball joints were very stiff, which could possibly cause binding and miss steps, to solve this, take a pair of pliers and carefully squeeze the plastic all around the ball and it will free it up and make it smooth. I learned how to do this in my RC helicopter flying days, where binding is not an option....
April 24, 2015 05:37PM
3D52
When building my arms, I noticed that the ball joints were very stiff, which could possibly cause binding and miss steps, to solve this, take a pair of pliers and carefully squeeze the plastic all around the ball and it will free it up and make it smooth. I learned how to do this in my RC helicopter flying days, where binding is not an option....

I just received some igubal parts from igus today that are the same size as the Traxxas joints. They have a much greater range of motion (balls rotate in the joint completely) and appear to have little to no backlash. I will be printing off the backlash tester to verify this, but from preliminary testing they appear to be much better in quality ( and price ). Part numbers for those interested are KBRM-03 and KBRM-03MH. My plan was to throw these on some spare rods I have and test them in conjunction with the Traxxas, but I think that might be problematic due to the movement of these new ones.
April 25, 2015 01:46AM
Here are some of those parts that I recieved from igus to test out on our new printer design. The igubal parts are one of the pictures in there, they are definitely a lot smoother then the existing parts in the printer. I am going to print the backlash tester tomorrow and test the actual backlash in these units.

Some pictures igus Parts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2015 01:47AM by thevisad.
April 25, 2015 09:08PM
Have you guys come up with a way to get the plastics to fit, other than using a file? The vertical extrusions will not fit into corner pieces.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2015 10:35AM by 3D52.
April 25, 2015 10:24PM
I only had 2 issues with the plastics.

1. On one of the carriages 3 holes lined up, but I had to drill the 4th hole oversize to get the screw started.

2. The recess in the bottom of the end effector was undersized. I melted the hole larger by heating the top of the hotend and working it in.

My end effector split after one too many crashes into the bed. I welded it together with a soldering iron long enough to print a new one. The recess was undersized on mine as well. I used a Dremel this time.
April 26, 2015 11:19PM
I finished my build today and ran through the configure steps. Hit disconnect in Pronterface and unplugged the printer. Drove to Microcenter to pickup some ABS filament. Got home hooked up the printer fired up Pronterface and plugged in the power to the printer. I hit connect and it connects fine but that's it. The fans never come on and sending G28 does nothing. Suggestions?
April 26, 2015 11:24PM
bluesmike
The fans never come on and sending G28 does nothing. Suggestions?
Maybe obvious, but is the power supply plugged in? If you have a voltmeter, check the voltages at the RAMPS power connector.
April 27, 2015 08:59AM
Power supply is plugged in. I checked voltage and it reads 3.57V on both leads at the RAMPS connector. I checked and there is no power to the hotend or the bed. When I press the button on the RAMPS board the LED flashes twice.
April 27, 2015 09:33AM
With the power supply plugged in you should read 12VDC. You are seeing only USB power. That will let the RAMPS talk to the PC, but not enough power to move anything.
Check the voltages on the power supply itself. Should read 12.0 on each of the connectors. Unplug the power supply and plug it back in. If it's still dead you'll need to contact Folger.

April 27, 2015 10:10AM
Definitely the power supply sad smiley . I'm only reading 3.35V now on each of the RAMPS leads and 120.7V on the AC side. Time to call Folger Tech. Maybe I can drive up there this afternoon and pick it up. They are only about an hour from me.
April 27, 2015 01:23PM
I found the printed parts made from aluminium here at [www.robotdigg.com]. I ordered some and will post when they arrive. has anyone ordered these parts before?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login