Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level

Posted by Kasahabo 
Re: Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level
May 12, 2015 10:32AM
3D-IsMe
...un-flanged bearings for each top corner...

All 3 of mine ride against the inside of the flange. I haven't found a way to influence that.

May 12, 2015 02:09PM
Hello All, New guy here just got my printer today and I'm off to a bad start.
UPS delivered it 3 houses down the block.
Ordered it 5/01/15.
Heres a few pics
photo SD530002.jpg
photo SD530003.jpg
photo SD530004.jpg
May 12, 2015 05:16PM
jculver09
rotten_carrot
I realise that it has been discussed a couple of times before but I'm still somewhat undecided in my mind as to whether to cut my rods to 250mm centre hole to centre hole or if the consensus is to cut the carbon fibre itself to 250mm? Anyone's experience/opinions on this specific detail would be gratefully received - even if it is a different length that is suggested smileys with beer

It is all up to you, and there is no wrong length unless you go so short they dont meet in the middle at the effector, or so long they dont fit in the machine. The longer your arms the wider and shorter your build area will be (like a stack of pancakes), the shorter your arms, the narrower and taller you build area will be (like a 2L bottle of soda).

After you decide on a lenght, it is important that you very precisely match all 6 rods to the same length and that you put an accurate center to center length into your firmware once you are done building.

Personally I went with 250mm center to center on my first set of rods, and was very pleased with the width and height of the build area. IIRC I was around 180mm diameter and over 220mm tall, but my diameter was limited because I moved the linear slides up as high as I could and the carriages would hit the lower stops.
Recently I went with the magnetic rods made by Haydn Huntley and I had him make them to 288mm. I lost a lot of height with this but I love how smooth and easy they move compared to even the best traxxas type rod ends I have found. I got them longer because it allowed me to use a 250mm diamter print bed and I can now print out to about 220mm diameter, but I haven't tried anything this wide yet. The widest I have printed so far is about 195mm and I had some curling up on the edges so my standard blue tape will likely not work for me at that size. any larger than 220mm diameter and I run into issues with end effector getting too close to the towers/belts for my comfort.

Wittmason
I cut my rods exactly in half and then cut them all the same length. When adding in the traxxas ends - I ended up having 288mm arms. Which leaves about 170mm build height. You could adjust the rail up and that height then can be raised about 70-100mm. As long as you make the change in the firmware the rod length doesn't seem to matter or be a hindrance. You certainly have to change the 253.6 measurement to what your new build height is.

Thanks very much for the replies. I certainly do like the sound of the magnetic rods but for now I'm going to cut my carbon rods to 250mm and raise the linear slides up a bit (but hopefully not too high!). Cheers to you both
May 12, 2015 05:19PM
Deguello
mmcginnis9272
...extruder with the mounting ear cut off?
I used the acrylic mount that came from Folger, so the mounting ears are superfluous. (The rubber band goes to a clip on the wire loom to the effector)

I see, that makes perfect sense. I was not near my printer and I was thinking the printed mount is what attached to the openbeam.

Thanks.
May 13, 2015 12:08AM
Any reason the linear rails on this kit do not go all the way to the top? Has anyone done a FRS setup, how did you mount it?
May 13, 2015 12:36AM
mmcginnis9272
thevisad
Wittmason
Haha yeh the mechanical fixes were from me. Funny I was referred to that. This is more or less not enough torque from the motor.
I eyed that extruder on Thingiverse for awhile. I think I'll try that.

Here is my remix of the item. I removed the mounting ear on it as it's no longer needed and get's in the way. I left the motor mounted on the frame using their mount.

Would you mind showing us a pic of how you mounted the extruder with the mounting ear cut off? I'd be interested in making one, but I'm a bit unclear on how to mount it with your remix.

Yes sir, here you are. I tried to use a M3 hex nut and m3 - 20mm, but the hex nut was too small. I ended up going with a 4-40 bolt and hex nut, it fit perfectly inside the hole on this print.

I tried to use a

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2015 12:38AM by thevisad.
May 14, 2015 12:17PM
Anyone have a hole pattern for the heated bed? I upgraded to robotdigg metal corners and now the bed mounts don't fit. Time to make new ones.
May 14, 2015 04:39PM
So what is the general concensus on this kit. I'm debating on this and also the seemecnc rostock max v2? What is the biggest width wise this can print? I'm guessing the longest arms are 288? What size print area would that get me?
May 14, 2015 07:45PM
rotten_carrot
jculver09
rotten_carrot
I realise that it has been discussed a couple of times before but I'm still somewhat undecided in my mind as to whether to cut my rods to 250mm centre hole to centre hole or if the consensus is to cut the carbon fibre itself to 250mm? Anyone's experience/opinions on this specific detail would be gratefully received - even if it is a different length that is suggested smileys with beer

It is all up to you, and there is no wrong length unless you go so short they dont meet in the middle at the effector, or so long they dont fit in the machine. The longer your arms the wider and shorter your build area will be (like a stack of pancakes), the shorter your arms, the narrower and taller you build area will be (like a 2L bottle of soda).

After you decide on a lenght, it is important that you very precisely match all 6 rods to the same length and that you put an accurate center to center length into your firmware once you are done building.

Personally I went with 250mm center to center on my first set of rods, and was very pleased with the width and height of the build area. IIRC I was around 180mm diameter and over 220mm tall, but my diameter was limited because I moved the linear slides up as high as I could and the carriages would hit the lower stops.
Recently I went with the magnetic rods made by Haydn Huntley and I had him make them to 288mm. I lost a lot of height with this but I love how smooth and easy they move compared to even the best traxxas type rod ends I have found. I got them longer because it allowed me to use a 250mm diamter print bed and I can now print out to about 220mm diameter, but I haven't tried anything this wide yet. The widest I have printed so far is about 195mm and I had some curling up on the edges so my standard blue tape will likely not work for me at that size. any larger than 220mm diameter and I run into issues with end effector getting too close to the towers/belts for my comfort.

Wittmason
I cut my rods exactly in half and then cut them all the same length. When adding in the traxxas ends - I ended up having 288mm arms. Which leaves about 170mm build height. You could adjust the rail up and that height then can be raised about 70-100mm. As long as you make the change in the firmware the rod length doesn't seem to matter or be a hindrance. You certainly have to change the 253.6 measurement to what your new build height is.

Thanks very much for the replies. I certainly do like the sound of the magnetic rods but for now I'm going to cut my carbon rods to 250mm and raise the linear slides up a bit (but hopefully not too high!). Cheers to you both

Jrpochnow, please see this, it was six posts up and contains a fair amount of information you are asking for.

Edits underlined.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2015 11:47PM by jculver09.
May 14, 2015 08:30PM
jculver09

See this, it was four posts up and contains a fair amount of information you are asking for

Lol reading is fundamental
May 14, 2015 11:45PM
thevisad
jculver09

See this, it was four posts up and contains a fair amount of information you are asking for

Lol reading is fundamental

Sorry, jprochnow, reading this now I realize how curt I was and this was not my intention.

Please take advantage of the search function, and I would highly recommend reading the entire thread (yes I know, 27 pages is a lot, but it helped me immensely when I started with this printer). At minimum I would read the last 5 or 10 pages as that is the most up to date information available for this printer.
May 15, 2015 08:07AM
Yes reading is fundamental but from the pages I have read I have not really seen a "yes" or "no" if the kit is worth it. But maybe I missed it. I did have a member pm me that they are capable of a 200x280 print area but they failed to say if it was on a stock frame and I was curious if anyone had a similar setup.
May 15, 2015 10:13AM
I think my next upgrade (unless Folger gets aluminum corners back in stock first) will be magnetic rod joints. I already have 10x10mm N52 cylindrical magnets. I have ordered these steel balls for the carriages and end effector. Walmart sells carbon fiber hunting arrows for $3 each. I'll cut those for the rods and make ABS sockets to glue the magnets to the ends of the rods.

I'll probably use the existing carriages and end effector unless someone points me to a better option.
May 15, 2015 10:17AM
jprochnow
Yes reading is fundamental but from the pages I have read I have not really seen a "yes" or "no" if the kit is worth it. But maybe I missed it. I did have a member pm me that they are capable of a 200x280 print area but they failed to say if it was on a stock frame and I was curious if anyone had a similar setup.

Lol, my comment was poking fun more at him then you smiling smiley I have stated that it was well worth money spent on the printer, the subsequent upgrades, costs, challenges and repairs. Every single machine that is not a packaged (Makerbot, Statasys, etc) printer are made from roughly the same parts. You can source the parts yourself from multiple sources, I even stated a cost with making this exact printer from self sourced parts. Folgertech has provided a packaged box of of relatively decent parts that once assembled will make a printer. There will be challenges to any printer that you have to assemble yourself. If you cannot assemble Ikea furniture without the loss of life, limb, tools or destruction of the items you are assembling, then buy a Makerbot. I have an XYZ 1.0a that has been custom flashed and it sits in the corner, unused, the door hanging open to collect dust. Shown below are parts printed on my printer and an 18000$ stratasys (not mine I had them printed for me to sample the parts). Something to note is that the Stratasys failed the Benchie test and it cannot pass it as they are unable to print without support material.

My printer

an 18000$ Stratasys printer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2015 10:20AM by thevisad.
May 15, 2015 10:24AM
Deguello
I think my next upgrade (unless Folger gets aluminum corners back in stock first) will be magnetic rod joints. I already have 10x10mm N52 cylindrical magnets. I have ordered these steel balls for the carriages and end effector. Walmart sells carbon fiber hunting arrows for $3 each. I'll cut those for the rods and make ABS sockets to glue the magnets to the ends of the rods.

I'll probably use the existing carriages and end effector unless someone points me to a better option.

I bought these magnets and these balls when I ordered the printer and then found that everyone was using the other type. I am being stubborn and redsigning the existing folgertech effector and slides to use the magnets. Once I finish the items I will post em and it might not be too difficult to remix it once setup. Great idea on the hunting arrows, I will take a look at my bolts when I get home. After punching targets for a while they are no longer good arrows, but might be perfect for this. I bought these rods to use as the upgraded arms.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2015 10:27AM by thevisad.
May 15, 2015 06:33PM
I am a newb - but have been holding my own using this forum as reference, but I have an odd one...

Got my Foldertech 2020 2 weeks back and have loved it - been printing in PLA for a while and I figured it was time to do some upgrades, so I wanted to print out a new effector and mount some new rod lengths - anyways long story short I got some ABS to print.

So I started out with a temp of 220 and 75 for the bed. The printer took some time to get there, but it did and it started printing about 3 layers and stopped (I wasn't watching that close after the 1st layer). The printer had "Locked up" I have a small computer hooked up to it with Repetier running and it had lost connection apparently. Odd - I have printed about 20 part of PLA and no issues - so I reboot everything and try again. Does the same thing - this time I was watching it. Looks like the extruder drops to about 215 and then basically locks up and stops the printer - the heat is still on for the bed and the extruder after that - but no communication - I have to power it all off.

I am thinking it is heat related? Any ideas? How can I tell?

Thanks in advance -
May 15, 2015 10:12PM
Hello all!

I finally got the new nozzle in! But, of course, a new challenger has appeared.
I configured slic3r to slice a small object and exported the g-code but when I send it to my printer it doesn't seem to be executing any actual commands that are in the G-code but it slowly moves the print head as if it's skipping all of the homing code before it. Just to be sure, I ran the first 25 lines or so of the G-code manually in pronterface and the printer acts as expected. Am I doing something wrong when I plate the G-code into pronterface and print it? I'll keep trying different things in the meantime. The first few lines of g-code are below in case that helps for some reason:
; generated by Slic3r 1.1.7 on 2015-05-15 at 18:17:36

; perimeters extrusion width = 0.40mm
; infill extrusion width = 0.42mm
; solid infill extrusion width = 0.42mm
; top infill extrusion width = 0.42mm

G21 ; set units to millimeters
M107
M190 S65 ; wait for bed temperature to be reached
M104 S205 ; set temperature
G28 ; home all axes
G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle

M109 S205 ; wait for temperature to be reached
G90 ; use absolute coordinates
G92 E0
M82 ; use absolute distances for extrusion
G1 F1800.000 E-1.00000
G92 E0
G1 Z0.400 F7800.000
G1 X-14.273 Y-14.273 F7800.000
G1 E1.00000 F1800.000
G1 X-6.864 Y-21.681 E2.27323 F1080.000
G1 X-4.975 Y-23.009 E2.55384
May 16, 2015 12:04AM
cislom
I am a newb - but have been holding my own using this forum as reference, but I have an odd one...

Got my Foldertech 2020 2 weeks back and have loved it - been printing in PLA for a while and I figured it was time to do some upgrades, so I wanted to print out a new effector and mount some new rod lengths - anyways long story short I got some ABS to print.

So I started out with a temp of 220 and 75 for the bed. The printer took some time to get there, but it did and it started printing about 3 layers and stopped (I wasn't watching that close after the 1st layer). The printer had "Locked up" I have a small computer hooked up to it with Repetier running and it had lost connection apparently. Odd - I have printed about 20 part of PLA and no issues - so I reboot everything and try again. Does the same thing - this time I was watching it. Looks like the extruder drops to about 215 and then basically locks up and stops the printer - the heat is still on for the bed and the extruder after that - but no communication - I have to power it all off.

I am thinking it is heat related? Any ideas? How can I tell?

Thanks in advance -

Try to print a PLA object again. Does it print?
Does the ABS job stop at the same spot each time? Could be a corrupt slicing job.
If it is heat related, it could be that running the bed so hot (and if you following the Folgertech instructions to put the electronics under the heat bed) is causing the electronics to overheat. Try blowing a fan under the printer to cool it while your printing to see what that does.
May 16, 2015 12:34AM
hey guys. Finally got around to start trying to print. I followed the manual to the T. I did put more power to the extruder motor as it kept skipping. I went up to .60 and it extrudes fin now. Got my hot end and heatbed all hot. Plastic started flowing. Was all stoked so I decided to start a print. But when I print I get this error. Any help appreciated.

[ERROR] Failed to set power settings:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/craigvanvliet/Desktop/PyInstaller-2.1/pronterface/build/pronterface/out00-PYZ.pyz/printrun.pronsole", line 1173, in startcb
File "/Users/craigvanvliet/Desktop/PyInstaller-2.1/pronterface/build/pronterface/out00-PYZ.pyz/printrun.power", line 130, in powerset_print_start
File "/Users/craigvanvliet/Desktop/PyInstaller-2.1/pronterface/build/pronterface/out00-PYZ.pyz/printrun.power.osx", line 72, in inhibit_sleep_osx
File "/Users/craigvanvliet/Desktop/PyInstaller-2.1/pronterface/build/pronterface/out00-PYZ.pyz/printrun.power.osx", line 49, in AssertionCreateWithName
File "/Users/craigvanvliet/Desktop/PyInstaller-2.1/pronterface/build/pronterface/out00-PYZ.pyz/printrun.power.osx", line 40, in StringToCFString
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'kCFStringEncodingASCII'
May 16, 2015 01:13AM
Sadly this is a well documented error on the Mac. I guess someone else built the Mac .pkg and we Mac folks are kind of screwed because they left their user directory in the path. I started using Cura instead.

cman8
hey guys. Finally got around to start trying to print. I followed the manual to the T. I did put more power to the extruder motor as it kept skipping. I went up to .60 and it extrudes fin now. Got my hot end and heatbed all hot. Plastic started flowing. Was all stoked so I decided to start a print. But when I print I get this error. Any help appreciated.

[ERROR] Failed to set power settings:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/craigvanvliet/Desktop/PyInstaller-2.1/pronterface/build/pronterface/out00-PYZ.pyz/printrun.pronsole", line 1173, in startcb
File "/Users/craigvanvliet/Desktop/PyInstaller-2.1/pronterface/build/pronterface/out00-PYZ.pyz/printrun.power", line 130, in powerset_print_start
File "/Users/craigvanvliet/Desktop/PyInstaller-2.1/pronterface/build/pronterface/out00-PYZ.pyz/printrun.power.osx", line 72, in inhibit_sleep_osx
File "/Users/craigvanvliet/Desktop/PyInstaller-2.1/pronterface/build/pronterface/out00-PYZ.pyz/printrun.power.osx", line 49, in AssertionCreateWithName
File "/Users/craigvanvliet/Desktop/PyInstaller-2.1/pronterface/build/pronterface/out00-PYZ.pyz/printrun.power.osx", line 40, in StringToCFString
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'kCFStringEncodingASCII'
May 16, 2015 02:01AM
Can you use Cura just like prontface?
May 16, 2015 12:47PM
For positioning and sending Gcodes you will still use Pronterface. For printing Cura will be what you can use. I'm going to try Repetier Host for Mac as it looks like it can do both better. The Pronterface bug comes about when you try to print or send files to the machine.
May 16, 2015 03:05PM
Just got my Kossel 2020 yesterday and noticed a few things in my kit were off, so I wanted to see what everyone recommends or if anybody else had a similar experience.

My biggest concern is that of my 3 linear rails, two are 420mm and one is only 350mm. How will this effect my build? Can I use the shorter rail as my Z-axis and just have a shorter maximum build height, or should I stop building and wait to hear back from Folgertech on a replacement rail. Secondly, I'm missing a few small items from the kit. I didn't get a Thermistor for my heatbed (not sure if it has one built in), and also didn't get any wire protection sleeve as described in the manual for the hotend wires.

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies!
May 16, 2015 03:13PM
You need the top endstops to be the same height from the bed, so the short rail would limit your build diameter. There is a step in the manual for determining the maximum X/Y position before the carriages hit the bottom of the rails. That rail will make your limit smaller.

You definitely need the bed thermistor. You can temporarily get by without the wire sleeve by using bread ties every few cm's.
May 16, 2015 03:34PM
Couchking
Just got my Kossel 2020 yesterday and noticed a few things in my kit were off, so I wanted to see what everyone recommends or if anybody else had a similar experience.

My biggest concern is that of my 3 linear rails, two are 420mm and one is only 350mm. How will this effect my build? Can I use the shorter rail as my Z-axis and just have a shorter maximum build height, or should I stop building and wait to hear back from Folgertech on a replacement rail. Secondly, I'm missing a few small items from the kit. I didn't get a Thermistor for my heatbed (not sure if it has one built in), and also didn't get any wire protection sleeve as described in the manual for the hotend wires.

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies!

I would contact folgertech and get a replacement rail sent out. They ship replacement parts very quickly, so you could put it together except for that rail. I didnt receive a sleeve either, but it was not needed unless you do not insulate the bed (highly recommended!!) Or wrap it with something else. You can get wire protection at Harbor freight, lowes/home depot pretty cheaply.
May 17, 2015 06:51AM
I finally got life out of the printer. I had a TON of issues with Pronterface. I'm not sure what was going on. I swapped over to Repetier and started slicing using Cura which solved the problem of getting the printer to start. I struggled with the autolevel stuff for a bit and managed to get it autoleveling properly after adding the g-code to the start of my prints in Cura. It seems like the popular thing to print the Benchy Boat so that was the first thing that came out worthy of photos. Thanks to the forum for being a good resource during this build. I think there's still a bit of calibration to do but it's a work in progress! Also black PLA doesn't seem to photograph well so I'll be ordering a roll of something brighter - I'm thinking green.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2015 06:51AM by Mylation.
May 17, 2015 12:18PM
I tired printing the same thing in PLA and it worked - so I think this must be heat related.

I will try putting a small fan on the board to see if that helps, I do have the board mounted under the heatbed like in the instructions, but was a little leery about that to begin with. If this is the solution I may try rewiring the board to be elsewhere.

Thanks for the quick response, I'll let you know how it goes.
May 17, 2015 05:54PM
Having another issue. When i send the print command it comes down to 1mm from the bed. waits for the hotend to heat up and then shoots off far right towards my power supply where it gets stuck. any ideas?
May 17, 2015 06:15PM
cman8
Having another issue. When i send the print command it comes down to 1mm from the bed. waits for the hotend to heat up and then shoots off far right towards my power supply where it gets stuck. any ideas?

Try opening your gcode in a text editor and running the first few commands manually in Pronterface - that helped me troubleshoot some stuff. If there's a weird command there, your slicer might be the issue. Otherwise it might be wiring. Does the printer move normally when you send manual commands to it?
May 17, 2015 07:10PM
Not sure if this is the case but I had a similar issue. In Pronterface I had to open the .stl or .gcode file in the "platter" tool and center it on the build platform. Once it saved the gecode file to a tmp file it stopped trying to go off to the edge of the bed. Might check in Cura (think that's what you said you used for slicing) to make sure that the bed shape is circular and that X and Y are set to center. Hope this helps.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login