Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level

Posted by Kasahabo 
Re: Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level
May 18, 2015 06:51AM
cislom
I tired printing the same thing in PLA and it worked - so I think this must be heat related.

I will try putting a small fan on the board to see if that helps, I do have the board mounted under the heatbed like in the instructions, but was a little leery about that to begin with. If this is the solution I may try rewiring the board to be elsewhere.

Thanks for the quick response, I'll let you know how it goes.

I noticed my board felt very warm so I added a 40MM fan to the underside blowing across the board. I mounted to the profile using a spare profile nut and wired it straight to the power supply with the extruder fan. Works like a champs!
May 18, 2015 01:14PM
Can you change slicr to have a circular graph?
May 18, 2015 02:11PM
cman8
Can you change slicr to have a circular graph?

If you mean a circular bed, yes you can, at least in version 1.2.6 that I use.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 18, 2015 06:12PM
I took the time yesterday and manually leveled my bed, not only did I learn a lot, my prints are awesome. No more auto level for me.....
May 19, 2015 01:40AM
what are you guys setup on printrun? Im not getting anything close to what some of you are printing. I can see its trying but definitely im missing something. Any help appreciated.
May 19, 2015 12:32PM
I recently bought one of these kits and I was really disappointed with the quality of the linear rails. None of the 3 slide smoothly and one of them is so bad it keeps hanging up in one spot in the middle. I don’t trust these for the build. Is there another source of better quality rails at a reasonable price that you all would recommend? I’m building this with my 10 year old. It’s our first 3D printer and I know there will be allot of troubleshooting to get it working accurately but I don’t want to jinx us out of the gate by using garbage parts in the build.

BTW the printed plastic parts were shady. 1 of the 3 for the bottom and 1 of the 3 for the top where clearly the result of an inferior print run that they were hoping they could get away with using if only 1 out of each 3 in the set used the bad prints. There are even places on those bad prints where they cut of layers that delaminated so they knew they were bad and used them anyway. I’m not sure who they think they are tricking.

Given all the good things people have said about the kit I was a bit disappointed. I knew the linear slides might be an issue based on what I read here but the attempt to pass of the bad printed parts by mixing them in with good printed parts was really shady and disappointing. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions on the linear rails. Thanks!!!
May 19, 2015 12:52PM
matthew900
I recently bought one of these kits and I was really disappointed with the quality of the linear rails. None of the 3 slide smoothly and one of them is so bad it keeps hanging up in one spot in the middle. I don’t trust these for the build. Is there another source of better quality rails at a reasonable price that you all would recommend? I’m building this with my 10 year old. It’s our first 3D printer and I know there will be allot of troubleshooting to get it working accurately but I don’t want to jinx us out of the gate by using garbage parts in the build.

BTW the printed plastic parts were shady. 1 of the 3 for the bottom and 1 of the 3 for the top where clearly the result of an inferior print run that they were hoping they could get away with using if only 1 out of each 3 in the set used the bad prints. There are even places on those bad prints where they cut of layers that delaminated so they knew they were bad and used them anyway. I’m not sure who they think they are tricking.

Given all the good things people have said about the kit I was a bit disappointed. I knew the linear slides might be an issue based on what I read here but the attempt to pass of the bad printed parts by mixing them in with good printed parts was really shady and disappointing. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions on the linear rails. Thanks!!!

My printed parts where bad, i replaced them with metal ones from robotdigg, as for the rails you can always switch to v-rollers.
May 19, 2015 01:10PM
gaddcasey1

My printed parts where bad, i replaced them with metal ones from robotdigg, as for the rails you can always switch to v-rollers.

Genius! I’m stopping my build now to order these.

A couple questions, I wanted verify 1 set came with all 3 top and bottom pieces, and does the top parts include the idler pulleys? Are there any other parts I need to order to use these? Thanks!!
May 19, 2015 01:49PM
matthew900

!

Please excuse the dumb question, but did you *clean* the rails that came with the kit? They come gunked up to prevent corrosion and it needs to be cleaned with a very light oil. Some use gun cleaning oil, don't use WD40.

Rick
May 19, 2015 02:08PM
I followed the previous directions I found on here to use the WD40 and then grease (I used white lithium grease). There was no visible gunk on them like others reported but I went ahead and cleaned them anyway in the hope they would improve. I looked at the bearings where you can see them little between the rail and slide, they look clean.

I would be hesitant to use gun cleaning oil since it is designed to remove metal deposits and I do not know what components are inside the slides.

I think there is a bad bearing or possibly debris from manufacturing in the one since it has a clear dead spot where it catches and does not want to slide. This is my first 3D printer but no my first rodeo working on something mechanical. These bearings definitely have issues.
May 19, 2015 02:21PM
matthew900
I followed the previous directions I found on here to use the WD40 and then grease (I used white lithium grease). There was no visible gunk on them like others reported but I went ahead and cleaned them anyway in the hope they would improve. I looked at the bearings where you can see them little between the rail and slide, they look clean.

I would be hesitant to use gun cleaning oil since it is designed to remove metal deposits and I do not know what components are inside the slides.

I think there is a bad bearing or possibly debris from manufacturing in the one since it has a clear dead spot where it catches and does not want to slide. This is my first 3D printer but no my first rodeo working on something mechanical. These bearings definitely have issues.

Contact Folger and they will replace them!
May 19, 2015 02:27PM
3D52

Their customer service was quick to respond and they already said they would replace the bad one. I was just hoping there was better quality option out there. Thanks!
May 19, 2015 02:28PM
matthew900
gaddcasey1

A couple questions, I wanted verify 1 set came with all 3 top and bottom pieces, and does the top parts include the idler pulleys? Are there any other parts I need to order to use these? Thanks!!

the top corner's do come with idler pully's but you will need some 623 bearing's (3 normal and 3 Flanged) and you will need something to hold the flanged bearing in from the inner face once you assemble it all.

I also got the Carriages and effector from them as well but word of warning the carriages are designed to use a closed loop belt so if you order them make sure you get 3 belts as well (I got some 1524 mm 762 tooth belts for mine at around $2 each) they do them in various lengths.

HTH Doug
May 19, 2015 02:28PM
matthew900
I would be hesitant to use gun cleaning oil since it is designed to remove metal deposits...
This is designed to remove deposits:

This is designed to lubricate:

May 19, 2015 02:30PM
I contacted RobotDigg about metal parts, but the shipping was almost as much as the parts. I guess I'll make do with plastic corners until Folger gets theirs back in stock.
May 19, 2015 02:34PM
Mine were a bit sticky, but between cleaning, lubing, and running for a bit have smoothed out. I was getting black gunk out of them as they settled in, but now after to hours or so and the occasional wipe, they run clean and smooth, and I am getting very good prints.

And I have been using gun lubricants, since the motion of a firearm slide and a linear rail are similar . . . and gun *lubricants* don't remove metallic anything. A *bore cleaner* will remove copper deposits, but that's not a lube . . .

You can order better rails to that spec, but at nowhere near the price point of the Folger kit . . . .and myself, I don't think I would consider wheels compared to rails.

- Tim
May 19, 2015 02:36PM
Deguello
I contacted RobotDigg about metal parts, but the shipping was almost as much as the parts. I guess I'll make do with plastic corners until Folger gets theirs back in stock.

I just ordered from Robotdigg, and unless you pay extra for fast shipping, they ship *cheap* . . . I suggest you look again!

You can also build the printer, and then print your own replacement parts, to whatever quality level you like. Some parts on mine were a tad visually ugly (one warped carriage was the worst) but have not limited the ability of my printer to produce stuff far, far, nicer.

- Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2015 02:39PM by tadawson.
May 19, 2015 02:57PM
matthew900
3D52

Their customer service was quick to respond and they already said they would replace the bad one. I was just hoping there was better quality option out there. Thanks!

There are at several hundred dollars apiece, iGus is a company that provides bearings for replacements and is what I am using in my next printer build.
May 19, 2015 03:25PM
Mine were sticky when I got them. I just lubed them with triflow and they slide great after working it in a bit.
May 19, 2015 03:43PM
matthew900
gaddcasey1

when mine came it did not, but i contacted robotdigg and they sent them to me for free(just arrived today). but it is not just an easy swap, the parts are 2mm thicker so all of you bolts need to be replaced and the bed mount will not work anymore. i am working on making a new bed mount. it came with 3 top and 3 bottom and when all put together is sturdy.
May 19, 2015 03:49PM
Deguello

when i ordered mine, they where the only ones and i ordered everything they had for a kossel. i figured go big or go home. the shipping was only $30 for me which is a good price i thought.
May 19, 2015 04:02PM
gaddcasey1
when mine came it did not, but i contacted robotdigg and they sent them to me for free(just arrived today). but it is not just an easy swap, the parts are 2mm thicker so all of you bolts need to be replaced and the bed mount will not work anymore. i am working on making a new bed mount. it came with 3 top and 3 bottom and when all put together is sturdy.

Thanks for the info. I'll build a new bed mount with better mounts for the control board. We have a great hardware store in town that carries a variety of metric bolts so I’m good to go there.
In hind sight I should have built the frame from scratch in steel since I have the tools to do it and I’m not concerned about weight. It would have been a far more solid setup. I was hoping to simplify the process by buying a kit but it’s probably going to be the same amount of work in the end.
May 19, 2015 04:46PM
tadawson
I just ordered from Robotdigg, and unless you pay extra for fast shipping, they ship *cheap* . . . I suggest you look again!
They quoted $45 shipping on a $75 order, didn't mention slower/cheaper options. I'll email back and ask.
May 19, 2015 06:26PM
Another plus for the Robotdigg metal corners: They act as heatsinks for the motors... my motors run just above 'cool' hours into a print.

And WD40 is the product you want to use for cleaning the rails(will take more than 1 cleaning)... yep, still need lube after the WD40 but, for cleaning -this is exactly what WD40 is made for.
May 19, 2015 07:46PM

Here is the corner idler i got form robotdigg. it seems to fit the fanged bearings that came in the kossel kit, but i have no idea what the laser cut parts are for.
May 19, 2015 08:33PM
gaddcasey1
[attachment 54929 corneridler.jpg]

Here is the corner idler i got form robotdigg. it seems to fit the fanged bearings that came in the kossel kit, but i have no idea what the laser cut parts are for.

They look like endstops and wire guides . . . not sure what that has to do with a corner kit, but could be helpful.

- Tim
May 19, 2015 08:39PM
Those acylic parts are suppose to be the belt tensioning system...
I'm just guessing here really because I didn't use them. but I think the piece that is a cross section of the 2020 extrusion -sits under each top corner and then you use 2 of the endstop pieces on each side bolted to the pillar... -then you would have 2 screws that go thru the circle parts and would push off the endstop pieces and would push up the corner which would tighten the belt.
I just pull up on the frame by each pillar and tighten the corners.
May 19, 2015 10:03PM
Just got a quote back from Robotdigg, way too costly for shipping. I can get stuff sent via DHL from China to my house for 11$ (6 lbs). I just got a package from Chinapost that was roughly 4 lbs and I paid 20$ for the part with free shipping (micro laser acrylic frame and hardware). So I am not sure what he is using to package the parts.

Shipping cost by FedEx/UPS/DHL/TNT 5-14 days is 32USD, in total 87USD

Edit: I asked about lower cost shipping and was informed.

It's better to Combine Order.
1-1.5Kg 32USD
1.51-2Kg 35USD
For the metal corner it's over 1.2Kgs, even ship by China Post, the shipping cost is 24USD.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2015 10:15PM by thevisad.
May 19, 2015 10:18PM
Deguello

This is designed to lubricate:

be careful what kind of "gun oil" you are buying, all are not created equal. I found your image by searching "gun oil" in google, but my corporate internet connection will not allow me to visit the page, something about prohibited content. Hopefully I don't get any emails from our IT department about the nature of websites I am trying to visit tongue sticking out smiley.

Instead I found and ordered this: Hoppes gun oil wipes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2015 10:19PM by jculver09.
May 19, 2015 11:01PM
so here is what i have so far with the parts from robotdigg, I still need to buy longer arms due to the small effector and make bed mounts to fit the heated bed. There are no printed parts in this build at this time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login